Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4651
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Clutch compression tools...i used my hands when i changed my clutch...no compression tools needed

Thanks Seth. I just did not know if it would fly apart on me. Should I just keep some pressure on the inner basket when disassembling/ reassembling then?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #4652
Subluxator
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by motokeith View Post
The install is not difficult, but a little time consuming. You are relocating parts like the coil and regulator/rectifier onto new brackets and rerouting the associated wiring. You have to remove the airbox in order to install the bracket/stud things that hold the tanks. You will be drilling holes into part of the fuel pump assembly. You will need to remove the rear wheel or remove the lower tank bolt and flip-up the tank to get to the fuel pump. The actual installation and the supplied instructions are not exactly a "Tab A into slot B" sort of affair and there's a bit of trial and error fitting needed to get everything to go together nicely. If you would be comfortable to walk out in the garage and remove body panels, wheels, airbox, electrical bits, and various hoses and wires on your bike and put it all back together again then installing this kit is not an issue.

The two tanks come together at a T fitting which then runs into a inlet on a machined plate that is added to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly on the main tank. I've only had the tanks on a few days now, but I don't really notice any drastic ergonomic impact. I don't have any interference when standing on the pegs. Obviously, if you scoot up to the front of the seat your knees will be splayed a bit wider, but not really much of an issue.
great thanks.
Subluxator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #4653
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Check the R&R clutch video at RockyMountainAtv.
Thanks BP, just saw this post, not sure what you mean by R&R, but watched the clutch replacement video. I'm assume the tools the manual refers to are just to hold things together, not that they are neccessarilly "under pressure" per se.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #4654
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,752
R&R in mechanic speak means something like repair or replace. or remove and replace or gouge the fuck out of the owner...

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #4655
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Thanks Seth. I just did not know if it would fly apart on me. Should I just keep some pressure on the inner basket when disassembling/ reassembling then?
The clutch comes apart just fine without, but I lost patience for trying to assemble it without the tools.

My suggestion, get some allen-head cap screws & some washers. IIRC the thread is 4mm x .8, and you need about 1.5" of threads to compress the slipper springs.

Or, I could drop my shop-made tools in the mail to you. They aren't pretty to look at, but they work.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #4656
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Question.

Hi,
i am currently looking at upgrading my bike. one question i have is if anyone uses Rotopax, instead of buying the expensive tanks? would it be possible to just add one 2 gallons on each side of the rear rack?

thanks for your time,

Daniel
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #4657
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
The clutch comes apart just fine without, but I lost patience for trying to assemble it without the tools.

My suggestion, get some allen-head cap screws & some washers. IIRC the thread is 4mm x .8, and you need about 1.5" of threads to compress the slipper springs.

Or, I could drop my shop-made tools in the mail to you. They aren't pretty to look at, but they work.

Thanks Al. I have to get it apart, put together a parts list for ordering, etc. first.

I'll give it a go without them, but if I get into a bind, I'll pm you. Thanks for the offer.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 AM   #4658
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Did aliens abduct all the 690 jockeys?
Yer !!! I liked the anal probe the best .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #4659
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Rust View Post
Hi,
i am currently looking at upgrading my bike. one question i have is if anyone uses Rotopax, instead of buying the expensive tanks? would it be possible to just add one 2 gallons on each side of the rear rack?

thanks for your time,

Daniel
Sure can. Take a look at the Rally Raid Products soft luggage rack. Already sorted for attaching Rotopax.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #4660
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Sure can. Take a look at the Rally Raid Products soft luggage rack. Already sorted for attaching Rotopax.
Or the Kriega system:

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...latform-system
Old 07-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #4661
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,662
That's pretty slick. And, I like the RotoPax system -- the mounting hardware is robust, the rotomolded tanks are very thick and durable, and it's all made in USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Old 07-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #4662
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
That's pretty slick. And, I like the RotoPax system -- the mounting hardware is robust, the rotomolded tanks are very thick and durable, and it's all made in USA.
My rotopax have failed (two, both of them). The nozzles expanded within the container.
There was no pulling then out of the container. To do so the nozzles broke apart leaving broken pieces in the containers.
The last time the nozzles did slide out it was just barely with an extremely tight rocking back & forth to pull them out.

I hope their system has changed - I am not a fan of rotopax.

Probably a blame the DOT for ALL THE CRAPPY GAS CANS THAT ARE OUT THERE.
What are they thinking. They all leak, dribble or are uncontrollable.

Therefore the reason I went to RR for a mounted gas tanks system.

Grrr, Bad on rotopax.
They fill up my lawn mower now.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #4663
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
My rotopax have failed (two, both of them). .....
Grrr, Bad on rotopax.
They fill up my lawn mower now.
Rotopax system is more expensive than RR or Safari tanks......and complicate your packing system.....

Overpriced system I think.....while I am happy with my Safari (aside from crappy fuel petcocks [bad design])....I would even go with RR tanks before Rotorooter packs....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #4664
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Self ventilating clutch update...

So... If any of you guys hear a squeaking/ chirping sound that does not seem to come from any of the obvious places (ie; skid plate, engine mount bolts, etc..). Do yourselves a favor, and tow/ truck the bike home, drain the fluids, pull the clutch clutch cover, and check the clutch assembly for play.

It seems that my bearing for the main shaft into the transmission let loose, and took some of the engine case with it...

Those needle bearings I was hoping were the problem sure held up well..

Not bad for 30k miles..

I decided to put away a few of these after I realized I was dealing with the worst case scenario.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #4665
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 334
omfg.
I hate to see such horrific photos.

I'm saddened by your loss.

Best wishes.
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote