Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #4666
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
BK.RD.RNR. may sound a little cheap but so am I. I would weld that case instead of buying a new one. Just a thought.
Aren't those cases Magnesium?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4667
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
BK.RD.RNR. may sound a little cheap but so am I. I would weld that case instead of buying a new one. Just a thought.
I'm willing to bet that the cost of the case is one of the least concerns at this moment (until he finds out what went wrong and needs replacing inside). With that said, I am a recent-new-fan and huge advocate of JB Weld (radiator repair - spent $7.00 instead of $470.00 - yeah, that's right, really...). I would definitely try the JB Weld with the metal in the compound (I believe it might the Marine application of JB), sand it down smooth and paint the case. You've got 1 hour and $7.00 to lose if it doesn't work.
2005 Ducati 999R
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #4668
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subluxator View Post
I'm considering buying these tanks to extend the mileage on my SMC 2008. Is the install difficult? How do the tanks tie in to the rear tank? I'm assuming they "T" into the hose from the rear some how. Also, how does the extra width up front affect your position on the bike? Thanks.
The install is not difficult, but a little time consuming. You are relocating parts like the coil and regulator/rectifier onto new brackets and rerouting the associated wiring. You have to remove the airbox in order to install the bracket/stud things that hold the tanks. You will be drilling holes into part of the fuel pump assembly. You will need to remove the rear wheel or remove the lower tank bolt and flip-up the tank to get to the fuel pump. The actual installation and the supplied instructions are not exactly a "Tab A into slot B" sort of affair and there's a bit of trial and error fitting needed to get everything to go together nicely. If you would be comfortable to walk out in the garage and remove body panels, wheels, airbox, electrical bits, and various hoses and wires on your bike and put it all back together again then installing this kit is not an issue.

The two tanks come together at a T fitting which then runs into a inlet on a machined plate that is added to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly on the main tank. I've only had the tanks on a few days now, but I don't really notice any drastic ergonomic impact. I don't have any interference when standing on the pegs. Obviously, if you scoot up to the front of the seat your knees will be splayed a bit wider, but not really much of an issue.
motokeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4669
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,391
KTM Gore Pics..

Magnetic oil plug. I also heard a couple of chunks hit the drain pan while draining the oil.

Inside center of the clutch cover.

Wear marks on the outer basket.

Inside top of the clutch cover.

Has anyone come up with an easy solution for the clutch compression tools? I was thinking maybe some socket headed bolts would do the job just fine, or is there a neccesity for the extended heads to the bolts?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I've only done car clutches before.

I need to get the clutch pack off so that I can tell if it is the needle bearings, or worse.

Thanks for any advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM   #4670
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,145
Clutch compression tools...i used my hands when i changed my clutch...no compression tools needed

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #4671
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
you have something larger than a needle bearing being ground up in that basket
i bet piece of gear
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #4672
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,557
Check the R&R clutch video at RockyMountainAtv.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #4673
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Steam Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Now now be nice. This guy did a lot of things mentioned...His work has a very steam punk quality to it but it is good to see progress. I have not touched a bike in about a month due to other things in life going on.

I do have to ask why the massive 13th century chain guard?...Looks like an invitation for disaster or accelerated chain wear at the least.
Uhhh, loved the the steam punk comment. But seriously, have we heard a bit more about the chain guard yet?

jak
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #4674
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Clutch compression tools...i used my hands when i changed my clutch...no compression tools needed

Thanks Seth. I just did not know if it would fly apart on me. Should I just keep some pressure on the inner basket when disassembling/ reassembling then?

Quote:
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
Old 07-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #4675
Subluxator
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by motokeith View Post
The install is not difficult, but a little time consuming. You are relocating parts like the coil and regulator/rectifier onto new brackets and rerouting the associated wiring. You have to remove the airbox in order to install the bracket/stud things that hold the tanks. You will be drilling holes into part of the fuel pump assembly. You will need to remove the rear wheel or remove the lower tank bolt and flip-up the tank to get to the fuel pump. The actual installation and the supplied instructions are not exactly a "Tab A into slot B" sort of affair and there's a bit of trial and error fitting needed to get everything to go together nicely. If you would be comfortable to walk out in the garage and remove body panels, wheels, airbox, electrical bits, and various hoses and wires on your bike and put it all back together again then installing this kit is not an issue.

The two tanks come together at a T fitting which then runs into a inlet on a machined plate that is added to the bottom of the fuel pump assembly on the main tank. I've only had the tanks on a few days now, but I don't really notice any drastic ergonomic impact. I don't have any interference when standing on the pegs. Obviously, if you scoot up to the front of the seat your knees will be splayed a bit wider, but not really much of an issue.
great thanks.
Subluxator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #4676
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePill View Post
Check the R&R clutch video at RockyMountainAtv.
Thanks BP, just saw this post, not sure what you mean by R&R, but watched the clutch replacement video. I'm assume the tools the manual refers to are just to hold things together, not that they are neccessarilly "under pressure" per se.

Quote:
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #4677
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,109
R&R in mechanic speak means something like repair or replace. or remove and replace or gouge the fuck out of the owner...
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #4678
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Thanks Seth. I just did not know if it would fly apart on me. Should I just keep some pressure on the inner basket when disassembling/ reassembling then?
The clutch comes apart just fine without, but I lost patience for trying to assemble it without the tools.

My suggestion, get some allen-head cap screws & some washers. IIRC the thread is 4mm x .8, and you need about 1.5" of threads to compress the slipper springs.

Or, I could drop my shop-made tools in the mail to you. They aren't pretty to look at, but they work.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:36 AM   #4679
Falcon Rust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Question.

Hi,
i am currently looking at upgrading my bike. one question i have is if anyone uses Rotopax, instead of buying the expensive tanks? would it be possible to just add one 2 gallons on each side of the rear rack?

thanks for your time,

Daniel
Falcon Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:45 AM   #4680
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
The clutch comes apart just fine without, but I lost patience for trying to assemble it without the tools.

My suggestion, get some allen-head cap screws & some washers. IIRC the thread is 4mm x .8, and you need about 1.5" of threads to compress the slipper springs.

Or, I could drop my shop-made tools in the mail to you. They aren't pretty to look at, but they work.

Thanks Al. I have to get it apart, put together a parts list for ordering, etc. first.

I'll give it a go without them, but if I get into a bind, I'll pm you. Thanks for the offer.

Quote: