Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #4741
motokeith
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
So I switched out my thermostat switch again, and the new one doesnt work either, which is 2 in a row from KTM that are defective out of the box.

I can still jump my fan and im sure the temp is way above the "on" point using a digital thermometer. So I guess the next step is to try and get either a RMZ 450 switch or a LTZ 400 switch as Im supposed to be leaving on a 9 day trip through the alps and eastern europe next friday.

Im fairly certain the local KTM guy is sick of seeing me at this point
Did this recently myself so I can tell you that The Suzuki part number for that fan switch is 17680-50F70.
motokeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:42 AM   #4742
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Quick question:

Are the FI blink codes for the '08 the same as '10? I want to make a print out of the codes to put under my seat but I cant find a PDF of a 2010 enduro R manual. I did find a manual for an '08 and i am curious if they were the same. I would love to look at my paper manual but it is somewhere in storage far far away. Thanks guys.
Noah,

PM me your email and I'll send you the owner's manual for your '10 in PDF.

If you have a smartphone I would save it on there, along with the parts catalogs for engine and chassis. Sure is easier with a PDF viewer than lugging around a printed copy or a CD.

Cheers
Lukas
Old 07-28-2012, 02:25 AM   #4743
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by motokeith View Post
Did this recently myself so I can tell you that The Suzuki part number for that fan switch is 17680-50F70.
Yeah I had the number, but getting the part is proving difficult to say the least.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #4744
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
Uller I don't think we disagree that much on the facts - just on how "forgiving" we are. What you call "quirks" could be just annoying in one situation or disasterous in another.

Exaggerating extremely to make my point, if KTM built parachutes for the military and 3 in 10 failed to deploy, "quirks" wouldn't be in my vocabulary when calling them to account. Widows of fallen soldiers would not be comforted in learning "it was a known issue" that the particular silk KTM uses sticks to itself and North Korean soldiers are losing 4 out of 10 rangers.

I'm an adventurous guy and also a distance runner. After repeated breakdowns I've tried to limit my solo off the grid rides to within 26 miles of civilization. I just wish I didn't have to do that. We should all be prepared and have backup plans but I emphasize back up plans do not make up for low quality.

Parachute math question:
2 guys jump out of an airplane. 1 guy has a quality chute that deploys 99.9% with no back up. The other guy has a cheaper chute that only opens correctly 80% of the time BUT he has 2 back ups for a total of 3. Whose got the better odds for survival?

But good reminder Ged/Jed! Always better to have a trip shortened by a bad fuel pump than a broken leg!!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #4745
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
My first 690 had 5,000km of some of the worst conditions in the Borneo jungle and lived outdoors in close to permanent 100% humidity and never missed a beat. 2 other guys had same bikes and only mechanical problem was a cooling fan that failed due to poor connection back at the fuse box. My current 690 with 16,000km has had a number of problems, but were all the same in the end - a poorly earthed coil. However, I have to add that the coil has been relocated and the poor earth is because of this. I do have an odd noise on occasion starting that may be the auto decomp or starter motor. Am I confident in taking it to remote places, yes. Is KTM confident in their bike. I guess so, or they would probably not be as generous offering the 2 year warranty they do on the bike. Is the bike perfect, no; but I'd rather be riding this than a Honda Cub step through that is so reliable it can be dropped off a building and still run even on chip oil. Then again, I'm sure that out of the 40million owners you could find some with horror stories to tell.
www.airborneriders.com

blakrj screwed with this post 07-28-2012 at 09:33 AM Reason: Darn iPad autocorrect
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #4746
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Hey guys, my opinion about reliability: Okay, I was disappointed that the new 2012 model left me stranded during holidays already after 4000 km (fortunately in a city, close to the dealer). But maybe it was partly my own fault (having not actively avoided backfiring and resultant problems, this thread)...having not completely understood the intestines of this friend. Sometimes/often the manual is just not enough....ensuring you got a bike with real character...

To be fair towards the 690...isn't it the case that this bike is much harder challenged than any other enduro suitable for real long distance trips? What I mean, many riders wouldn't bump with e.g. a LC8 Adventure into offroad ground (...or at least at reduced speed and risk....my own experience) where they will go with the 690. Users of the 690 probably experience more shaking of the bike and more willingness to and . Maybe the higher reported failure rate is also due to more rough usage of this bike? Also, I am quite convinced that the majority of 690 owners doesn't have major problems since mainly failures get reported here.
Frontwheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 AM   #4747
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Thumb

Commin up on 20.000km (no idea what that is in miles...) on mine -08, and no errors that wasn´t on me

Mine is kinda "reworked" and has seen some hard moments (and crashes ) incl. mx-track

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #4748
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,046
[QUOTE=blakrj;19231683]My first 690 had 5,000km of some of the worst conditions in the Borneo jungle and lived outdoors in close to permanent 100% humidity and never missed a beat. QUOTE]

Very cool... I've never seen any other enduros out here! Where were at? I was just in Pontianak trying to cut thru to Kuching and I've spend quite a bit of time in Sabah.
For true jungle riding I've wondered if a 2 wheel drive, KTM freeride with recluse, winch, and spikes in the tire wouldn't be the ticket. I've actually fantasized about having a low front fender contraption like the cow movers on trains that would have razor sharp edges on them and cut vegetation as it went.

I apologize for my contentiousness all! I lost heart for a moment but I'll try to be better now!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #4749
daveknievel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I have a 09 R with a total of 14k miles. Dirt in the winter, supermoto in the summer. Only one valve adj. , and 4 speedometers i didn't need. Orig worked fine, dealer said there's a recall. On my 4th one. My bike has seen daily wheelies, rev limiter up shifts, 4 trackdays a year, and a good hard raping everytime i put my leg over it. It has the slightest amount of coolant being pushed out the overflow that started 1 month ago. Going to millville NJ for another trackday tomorrow and try to blow it up again. But i keep getting denied.
daveknievel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #4750
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Talking 2008 690

Hi,
I am a regular lurker on this thread even though I don't have a 690. I do plan to have one in the near future though so all of the info I learn here is very valuable. I am actually posting for a friend that is having a peculiar problem with his 2008. When the engine warms up, it will die as he approaches a stop and pulls in the clutch. The dealer bypassed the clutch safety by cutting the wire and supposedly connecting them elsewhere so the bike will start. The problem started soon after. The bike doesn't die when it is cold, only when warm. The dealer found 11 errors when the bike was plugged in and has cleared the errors in the ECU but the problem persists. This is probably not enough info but any info or thoughts would be a great help. Thank you
Bumpaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #4751
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hi,
I am a regular lurker on this thread even though I don't have a 690. I do plan to have one in the near future though so all of the info I learn here is very valuable. I am actually posting for a friend that is having a peculiar problem with his 2008. When the engine warms up, it will die as he approaches a stop and pulls in the clutch. The dealer bypassed the clutch safety by cutting the wire and supposedly connecting them elsewhere so the bike will start. The problem started soon after. The bike doesn't die when it is cold, only when warm. The dealer found 11 errors when the bike was plugged in and has cleared the errors in the ECU but the problem persists. This is probably not enough info but any info or thoughts would be a great help. Thank you

Try the TPS reset, as well as the 15 minute idle reset from dead cold (sitting overnight). That always seemed to sort mine out when it would act that way.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #4752
Ryman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hi,
Do you have the codes that were cleared? Might be telling you something.

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #4753
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

Parachute math question:
2 guys jump out of an airplane. 1 guy has a quality chute that deploys 99.9% with no back up. The other guy has a cheaper chute that only opens correctly 80% of the time BUT he has 2 back ups for a total of 3. Whose got the better odds for survival?
The chute either deploys or does not, 50/50 in each case.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #4754
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
The chute either deploys or does not, 50/50 in each case.

Do you want me to pack your chute, or would you prefer a Jumpmaster do it?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4755
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Do you want me to pack your chute, or would you prefer a Jumpmaster do it?