Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #466
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
You are obviously right. I guess my point is that this motor is rock solid. The service intervals are long. The valves stay put, which is amazing to me. Just gloating on my 690 a little.
Mine not so much. I went 8K since the last inspection and the intakes had NO clearance. Not gonna make that mistake again.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #467
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-10ENG View Post
Just a quick question. My bike, 08 690e is hard to start in the morning sometimes. It will crank but will not start. after several attempted starts the bike starts and runs great! Is this a impending fuel pump failure? Bike currently has 4,000 miles.
Hell, mines been doing that for 10K miles, I'm just happy it doesn't stall.
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #468
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
This thread needs a little color.
SWEEEET moist dez
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #469
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,877
Quote:
My delivery came today......$60 for 2 bolts...............WTF.........?

Good thing it came UPS........she's sweeter than your redrock.........

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #470
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
+1 on using Duct tape instead of rim strips. A buddy who worked race support for Pirelli suggested it so it must be correct!
Really ??? I had a full soup spoon of rubber dust inside the tire when I removed it, and the tube was really warm to a point it almost hurt. Duct tape glue would probably spread all around at that temperature. I installed Motion Pro urethane tape (or is it ?) http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/11-0062/ It's auto glue and seems particularly tough. Far more then what you imagine looking at the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Front or rear? Rim locks? Low tire pressure?
Spokes through the nipples?
Rear tire. 20 PSI. Front tire had nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceo View Post
I just replaced my rear tire at ~4000 miles. My rim strip was not quite this bad, but definitely worn through in spots. I run 26 lbs on the street, 16 lbs in the dirt, no rim lock.
I run 20 PSI all the time since I tend to avoid paved road. Paved road cost too much in Gravol pills ...

Quote:
Tiny violins are playing for you and your brown delivery girl. Wait till you realize you need one of these.
http://www.vortexcdi.com/model_produ...122&mp_id=1534
DAMIT !!! Another thing to buy ...

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 09:03 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #471
the_shakes
Going nowhere, slowly...

Oddometer: 3
Quote:

Great photo! Looks like fun
the_shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 AM   #472
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
Rim band vs duct tape

Over the last years, I've actually been more lucky with 4-5 rounds of duct tape compared to the rubber rim band. The rim band has moved making the nipples making contact with the tube (happened twice) I use only duct tape now and replace it every time I change the tire. This goes for both wheel sets, ie woods / Enduro style and the gravel set which see's much higher speeds over longer times.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM   #473
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,278
i used duct tape on my rims...no issues to date and worked well with the bib mousse.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #474
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
i used duct tape on my rims ... no issues to date and worked well with the bib mousse.
Have you ever check the temperature of your tyre after a ride ??? I used to do it very time on my GS1200 when riding in winter. It was particularly important the tire gets very hot rapidly. I'm asking, cause I installed Dunlop 606 yesterday, and after a 20 miles ride, the rear tire was pretty hot. (26psi) I still could stand my hand on it, but I felt it was realy warm. I never check that with the Pirelli MT21 so I have no reference. Anyway, that heat explain the full spoon of black dust I had to removed.

I'll see if the Motion Pro tape last next time I change the tire ...

Paul Jr
Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #475
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Have you ever check the temperature of your tyre after a ride ??? I used to do it very time on my GS1200 when riding in winter. It was particularly important the tire gets very hot rapidly. I'm asking, cause I installed Dunlop 606 yesterday, and after a 20 miles ride, the rear tire was pretty hot. (26psi) I still could stand my hand on it, but I felt it was realy warm. I never check that with the Pirelli MT21 so I have no reference. Anyway, that heat explain the full spoon of black dust I had to removed.

I'll see if the Motion Pro tape last next time I change the tire ...

Paul Jr
nope. i run about 13 psi front and rear with uhd tubes. after many miles the uhd tubes will stick to the inner side of the tire but i have never had any failures due to heat. during the rally we pull the tires off and relube the mousse every night.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #476
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
nope. i run about 13 psi front and rear with uhd tubes. after many miles the uhd tubes will stick to the inner side of the tire but i have never had any failures due to heat. during the rally we pull the tires off and relube the mousse every night.
Euh !? At 13 PSI front and rear, it's guaranteed i would damage both rims within 100 miles ... I cannot imagine the extent of damages if I was riding Bozilla's backyard. I mostly ride what you've seen at Paris-Dacre, but a bit more rocky with far more elevation. You've got to be riding standing all the time then. Or there's a trick I don't catch. Besides, below 18 PSI, my bike rides like an old fat ladies' ass. Drifting becomes pure suicide.

Are you still riding on the original DID rims ? What tires are you riding ? You lubricate your bib with what ? Have you considered Tubliss (eventhough they do not support officialy rim as wide as ours)

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 10-13-2011 at 03:18 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #477
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Got bored today so I disconnected the lambda probe and took the bike out for a 60 mile blast to test.

First off, acceleration seemed smoother and maybe a bit stronger in the mid-range. I got 1mph more on the top end which means nothing really. Temperatures ran the same as well. A wee bit of electrical tape took care of the flashing FI light.

Now for the relevant question.
What exactly does disconnecting the probe do? I assume that it allows the ECU go to a default on the top end of the narrow band fueling.
BUT, I'm probably wrong.
Disconnecting causes the ECU to run in open loop mode which means that it does not try to adjust the air/fuel mixture in the lower rpm/throttle range. The ECU runs solely from the stored maps. The Akra map also turns off loop back operation. You can turn off loop back mode with TuneECU. When you turn it off you don't get the flash code.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #478
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
[QUOTe. A hanging idle is usually associated with an air leak. Might be very simple to fix.[/QUOTE]

I feel pretty sure that I don't have any air leaks. I don't have any popping on decel. wich I would expect with a vacuam leak.
If I stop and let out the clutch without any fuel added the bike will run in first gear at 7 miles an hour.
If I ride in first and let off the throttle it will run at 11 miles an hour for a while.Like the motor is to weak to shut the butterfly all the way
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #479
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post

I feel pretty sure that I don't have any air leaks. I don't have any popping on decel. wich I would expect with a vacuam leak.
If I stop and let out the clutch without any fuel added the bike will run in first gear at 7 miles an hour.
If I ride in first and let off the throttle it will run at 11 miles an hour for a while.Like the motor is to weak to shut the butterfly all the way
I will suspect that the TPS controlling the servo throttle is not calibrated properly. Most of us have the opposite problem. That is, the motor dies when the throttle is cut in some situations.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #480
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Euh !? At 13 PSI front and rear, it's guaranteed i would damage both rims within 100 miles ... I cannot imagine the extent of damages if I was riding Bozilla's backyard. I mostly ride what you've seen at Paris-Dacre, but a bit more rocky with far more elevation. You've got to be riding standing all the time then. Or there's a trick I don't catch. Besides, below 18 PSI, my bike rides like an old fat ladies' ass. Drifting becomes pure suicide.

Are you still riding on the original DID rims ? What tires are you riding ? You lubricate your bib with what ? Have you considered Tubliss (eventhough they do not support officialy rim as wide as ours)

Paul Jr

Paul Jr
I can't remember Paul but didn't you say once you were 5'4" and 300 lbs ... you were probably joking but I'm sure that factors in there.

On a random, similar topic, Ned Suise isn't a very big guy and I think I read somewhere he runs as much as 35-40 psi off road. Always meant to ask him about that but never did...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote