ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #4876
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
hi all
can anyone give me a link/fix to the side stand sensor,i was reading one of the other threads that one broke off,and he said he could not loop the wires etc
i would like to do this in the shed and not out in the bush miles from home

thanks mickd
2.2k ohm resistor between black and pink wire.

See writeup at Supermotojunkie: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...02#post1427302
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #4877
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper
 
wiswoodsguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northwoods of WI
Oddometer: 1,240
I hate it I hate it I hate it

Talkin bout the 15/48 gearing that the previous owner put on my bike (of course he didnt give me the stockers). The KTM orange anodized 48T rear looks great and sets the bike off nice - great actually. BUT this thing is getting hard to ride off road. (single track scenario - not even tuff stuff) ITs jerky and almost impossible to ride in 1st and impossible to ride in anything but 1st - second is tooooo tall and really cries for help. On the road it is better - cept for 1st (too low) - rest of gears are fine. Forgot to mention that I have the Leo ignition retarder - and can only run it on 3 ( most road preferred setting). 2 makes it really impossible - #1 is OK at best, but is mainly for limited traction purposes.

For those that have switched from the 14/45(3.21)to 15/48(3.2) - tell me your thoughts. Do I need to switch back for off road ?? They are soooo close in a numbers aspect - but I never had a chance to compare to the stock gearing. DO I need to drop a tooth up front (14 = 3.43) to be happy - get that low down grunty pull that Im craving?? will it mellow out that jerky feeling and make 2nd usable off road ??

I have no quams about the gearing for higher speed riding. Blazing fire roads, highway riding, anything above 2nd and Im a happy 690 owner. But I like to ride this bike on trails - so's I needz ur helpz
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #4878
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed
 
wswartzwel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,036
For highway and gravel i like stock gearing. For singletrack, I like a 14 on the countershaft.





Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
I hate it I hate it I hate it

Talkin bout the 15/48 gearing that the previous owner put on my bike (of course he didnt give me the stockers). The KTM orange anodized 48T rear looks great and sets the bike off nice - great actually. BUT this thing is getting hard to ride off road. (single track scenario - not even tuff stuff) ITs jerky and almost impossible to ride in 1st and impossible to ride in anything but 1st - second is tooooo tall and really cries for help. On the road it is better - cept for 1st (too low) - rest of gears are fine. Forgot to mention that I have the Leo ignition retarder - and can only run it on 3 ( most road preferred setting). 2 makes it really impossible - #1 is OK at best, but is mainly for limited traction purposes.

For those that have switched from the 14/45(3.21)to 15/48(3.2) - tell me your thoughts. Do I need to switch back for off road ?? They are soooo close in a numbers aspect - but I never had a chance to compare to the stock gearing. DO I need to drop a tooth up front (14 = 3.43) to be happy - get that low down grunty pull that Im craving?? will it mellow out that jerky feeling and make 2nd usable off road ??

I have no quams about the gearing for higher speed riding. Blazing fire roads, highway riding, anything above 2nd and Im a happy 690 owner. But I like to ride this bike on trails - so's I needz ur helpz
__________________
_________________________

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #4879
RoninMoto
Wanderer
 
RoninMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Australia
Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
2.2k ohm resistor between black and pink wire.

See writeup at Supermotojunkie: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...02#post1427302
I was wondering when someone was going to revers-engineer the switch. I'll be putting a 2.2k Ω in my spare parts just in case. Thanks ULLER!
__________________
Noah 08 KTM 690 ADV. 111,000 km. 42 countries. 5 continents and counting.
RTW Ride Report --> http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893
Blog ------------------> http://rtwwithnoah.blogspot.com/
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:40 PM   #4880
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
My fourth seat lasted 1 hour. Destroyed exactly like de third. I need a fifth one.

Piece of shit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19287014


Paul Jr 8
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #4881
Uller
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uller's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, WA
Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
My fourth seat lasted 1 hour. Destroyed exactly like de third. I need a fifth one.

Piece of shit.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4#post19287014


Paul Jr 8
there was someone selling a corbin in the flea market. It has a custom base if you want to give that a try....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=corbin
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #4882
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,857
I biffed it today (slippery bald M21 w/1800 miles - ya thats my story) and split the ride side of my radiator.
Is there a good aftermarket radiator available? Or is stock best. Cost considered.
Are people repairing our 690 radiator?
Thanks.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #4883
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper
 
wiswoodsguy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Northwoods of WI
Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
For highway and gravel i like stock gearing. For singletrack, I like a 14 on the countershaft.
What gearing are you running ?? Stock is 14/45
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #4884
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Watching Kenny61 Ground Assault Videos
Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I biffed it today (slippery bald M21 w/1800 miles - ya thats my story) and split the ride side of my radiator.
Is there a good aftermarket radiator available? Or is stock best. Cost considered.
Are people repairing our 690 radiator?
Thanks.

Mylers or Mylars? does awesome work. They even built up the area where the fan rubs for me so I wouldn't have to worry about it. The price was very reasonable too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
What gearing are you running ?? Stock is 14/45

15/45 is stock
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:48 AM   #4885
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
there was someone selling a corbin in the flea market. It has a custom base if you want to give that a try....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=corbin
Yeah, I PM'd him a couple days ago, and posted on the add that I PM'd him adain yesterday... Not a peep yet
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:15 AM   #4886
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Watching Kenny61 Ground Assault Videos
Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
there was someone selling a corbin in the flea market. It has a custom base if you want to give that a try....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ghlight=corbin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Yeah, I PM'd him a couple days ago, and posted on the add that I PM'd him adain yesterday... Not a peep yet

For someone who keeps destroying seats, the Corbin may not be the best choice.

Instead of resting on the frame rails/ front post, they rest on the airbox.

They are however, infinitely more comfortable on long trips.

The seat pan appears much sturdier than the stocker, but I would guess that a new airbox costs more than a new seat.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #4887
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed
 
wswartzwel's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Central Arkansas
Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
What gearing are you running ?? Stock is 14/45
Mine came new (2010) with 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket.
__________________
_________________________

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #4888
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,754
Yeah, I'm not rough on seats, but that stock seat is rough on me

of course, I did 1400 miles on my 450EXC on the stock seat in 5 days



Lot's of this kind of action....


I'm willing to take a chance on that Corbin if d00d will get back to me.
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #4889
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Watching Kenny61 Ground Assault Videos
Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Yeah, I'm not rough on seats, but that stock seat is rough on me

of course, I did 1400 miles on my 450EXC on the stock seat in 5 days

I'm willing to take a chance on that Corbin if d00d will get back to me.
I've got one that I'll sell you for the same price. PM me if interested.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #4890
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GezwindeSpoed's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: The land of the Dutchmen
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykilo View Post
Gents, looking for some advice on a way ahead:

IMG_2852
Looks like you lost a tooth or two like I had a year ago. Here you can find my operation:
http://allroadmaniacs.nl/forum/index.php?topic=11794.0

Check the transmission shaft on straightness, mine were not and I could start another rebuild 200km.
__________________
FE570; CB500X; KLE500
GezwindeSpoed is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014