Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #4876
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I could be mistaken as I've never seen the RR filter kit 1st hand, but it seems to have a lower overall profile than the snorkel. I would think it would be a nonissue iterference/ vibration/ rubbing wise. Pure speculation though.
You might be correct.......

Between the seat issue and the amount of water we get here, I don't want to spend the money to try.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #4877
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,681
New Seat Base

I recall reading some time ago, maybe in the days of the Megathread, that Renazco Seats was looking into making a new seat pan for the 690. Something with epoxy that solved the breaking problem.........

It might be worth a call or an email...... (It worked for the swing arm guard )

I have been wanting to have him make me a new seat but, don't want to if the seat pan is just going to break on me.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #4878
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
The seat pan appears much sturdier than the stocker, but I would guess that a new airbox costs more than a new seat.
They are. But they weigth 2000 tons.

Paul Jr 8
Old 08-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #4879
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Soft Throttle Cam May Help For Jerkiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
I hate it I hate it I hate it

Talkin bout the 15/48 gearing that the previous owner put on my bike (of course he didnt give me the stockers). The KTM orange anodized 48T rear looks great and sets the bike off nice - great actually. BUT this thing is getting hard to ride off road. (single track scenario - not even tuff stuff) ITs jerky and almost impossible to ride in 1st and impossible to ride in anything but 1st - second is tooooo tall and really cries for help. On the road it is better - cept for 1st (too low) - rest of gears are fine. Forgot to mention that I have the Leo ignition retarder - and can only run it on 3 ( most road preferred setting). 2 makes it really impossible - #1 is OK at best, but is mainly for limited traction purposes.

For those that have switched from the 14/45(3.21)to 15/48(3.2) - tell me your thoughts. Do I need to switch back for off road ?? They are soooo close in a numbers aspect - but I never had a chance to compare to the stock gearing. DO I need to drop a tooth up front (14 = 3.43) to be happy - get that low down grunty pull that Im craving?? will it mellow out that jerky feeling and make 2nd usable off road ??

I have no quams about the gearing for higher speed riding. Blazing fire roads, highway riding, anything above 2nd and Im a happy 690 owner. But I like to ride this bike on trails - so's I needz ur helpz
If you have not done this already, try a soft throttle cam and see if it helps with the jerkiness. I use one with 14/45 gearing and it works fine. I never use the performance map, I think it is #2, as it accentuates the jerkiness. Overall, I find 14/45 to be a good compromise for on and off-road but what's important is what works for you.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #4880
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,987
Yeah, The RR filter is pretty tall. It may clear, but for sure would offer no "support" on the front of the seat..

Pardon the dirty filter I just got in and need to swap to a clean one..
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #4881
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
If you have not done this already, try a soft throttle cam and see if it helps with the jerkiness. I use one with 14/45 gearing and it works fine. I never use the performance map, I think it is #2, as it accentuates the jerkiness. Overall, I find 14/45 to be a good compromise for on and off-road but what's important is what works for you.
part number pleaz

I'll try anything to make it better
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #4882
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

This is nonsense. First, I am extremely surprised to here the air box is below $200. I realy need to see a doubble check on that. Second, the air box support consists of 4 rubbers dampers. Nothing to carry a load of any sort. I mean realy NOTHING but the weight of the air box itself.

We have to remember as well all of the very fragile and extremely expensivs components underneath the air box. Throttle body, TPS, et.c. Nothing there to carry any load of any sort.

I am designing a bridge to support de weight of the seat at mid-way. Roughly, I'm replacing the batterry cover plate with something much taller. In arc form.

Sketch to come later.

Paul Jr
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #4883
nippybit
Nippybit

Throttle Tube & Cams

Quote:
part number pleaz

The KTM part # is U6910017. Kit includes three cams and one throttle tube. Available at KTMHUTT.com for $110.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #4884
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
The KTM part # is U6910017. Kit includes three cams and one throttle tube. Available at KTMHUTT.com for $110.

Hope this helps.
Thank you kind sir
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #4885
nippybit
Nippybit

Trials Tires In The Dez

Who here is running trials tires in desert conditions? After years of knobbies I am thinking about trials tires, specifically the Pirelli MT 43 Pro Trial DOT. Anyone using these or similar trials tires how would you compare them to DOT knobbies pros and cons, i.e. sidewall strength, cornering/traction in sand and gravel, on hardpack, on the street, and wearability? Just looking for general comparisons/impressions as I know that there are many DOT knobbies and their performance varies.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #4886
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnykilo View Post
Gezwinde, Thanks for the tip and link to your rebuild - I used Google Translate and was able to get quite a bit out of it. Pity my Dutch father didn't have the opportunity to teach me the language.

Were you able to get KTM to acknowledge the issue with the transmission shaft as being the source of the problems? I am wondering if this is an issue related to the early 690 RR Dakar bikes self destructing. Mine is a 2008. Yours?
What i think that happend is that a thooth broke and went in between the transmission shafts and bent them. So this is not the cause but the result. I did not know and just replaced all damaged transmission gears. After 200km, the transmission was f#cked again. Then I deceided to bring the engine to the dealer and let him fix the problem. When he rebuilded the thing he found out that the gearbox was not running smoothly and brought the shafts to a machine work shop were the measured the staightness.

KTM paid 30% of the cost of the parts of the first rebuild. The second rebuild I had to pay because KTM said they did not have the garantee I rebuild it well. My dealer gave me a lot of discount so fair enough.

My bike I from Dec 2008 (690 R model 2009) and what I believe is that the dakar bike suffered from another problem.

If you have any questions about the rebuild feel free to ask.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 AM   #4887
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,748
Quote:
part number pleaz

Quote:

Hope this helps.

I don't know who producces KTM's part, but if memory serves, you can get the kit from G2 throttles, get just the cam you want for $89(?), and they will let you return the cam for a different one if you don't like it. I have been very happy with mine.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:26 AM   #4888
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 973
The entire replacement throttle tube for a RC8 KTM will also fit, its equivalent to the 4th cam size (softest). Part number is KTM 69002021100 and it worked out less than $40 in South African money. Only difference is that its plastic, but well worth experimenting with.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #4889
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Who here is running trials tires in desert conditions? After years of knobbies I am thinking about trials tires, specifically the Pirelli MT 43 Pro Trial DOT. Anyone using these or similar trials tires how would you compare them to DOT knobbies pros and cons, i.e. sidewall strength, cornering/traction in sand and gravel, on hardpack, on the street, and wearability? Just looking for general comparisons/impressions as I know that there are many DOT knobbies and their performance varies.
I have the MY 43 on my 400XCW. I Love it! It has a higher sidewall so you can run low tires pressures (10psi) with less risk of pinch flats. Traction is great especially on rocks, sandstone and hardpack. One bad trait is that since it doesn't have any side tread, it will follow ruts and not climb out. The wear is awesome on my 400. The higher hp of the 690 may be a different story all together. Once my crappy stock MT21 finish chunking and throwing knows, I will put the MT43 on the 690.
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #4890
690Emaf10
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
The 690 left me sit for the first time tonight. It has ~6900 miles. When turning the key on and off the pump wouldn't prime. Call my roommate and he picked me and the bike up. Before taking it off his truck, I turned the key heard the pump primed and it fired right up.

It was only run low on fuel once but never empty. I'm probably going to try to pull the pump and see if there is anything build up on the filter. Should I replace the pump right away or am I good after it potentially cooled off a bit? I've seen other posts on here from those who have done it but how much of a PITA is it?
690Emaf10 is offline   Reply With Quote