User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #4891
jonnykilo
Traveller

Oddometer: 205
Gez

Check the transmission shaft on straightness, mine were not and I could start another rebuild 200km.
[/QUOTE]

Gezwinde, Thanks for the tip and link to your rebuild - I used Google Translate and was able to get quite a bit out of it. Pity my Dutch father didn't have the opportunity to teach me the language.

Were you able to get KTM to acknowledge the issue with the transmission shaft as being the source of the problems? I am wondering if this is an issue related to the early 690 RR Dakar bikes self destructing. Mine is a 2008. Yours?
jonnykilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #4892
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,447
[/QUOTE]
Were you able to get KTM to acknowledge the issue with the transmission shaft as being the source of the problems? [/QUOTE]

I'd be very interested to know the answer to that question myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #4893
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Mylers or Mylars? does awesome work. They even built up the area where the fan rubs for me so I wouldn't have to worry about it. The price was very reasonable too.
Thank you! Looks like the place to go.

Ya I slid out on a left hander, to finish it off with a highside slamming my bike on its right side. Ouch on bike. Leaking radiator. I did miss the rocks where I landed.
So much for nice RR side panels...

Oh, and stock '12 hand guards are cosmetic - they break right off.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #4894
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
For someone who keeps destroying seats, the Corbin may not be the best choice.

Instead of resting on the frame rails/ front post, they rest on the airbox.

They are however, infinitely more comfortable on long trips.

The seat pan appears much sturdier than the stocker, but I would guess that a new airbox costs more than a new seat.
Air Intake Assemble = $116

New Seat = $221

It does ride on the air intake in a couple places however, it still rides on the frame rails/front post too. I've got over 5000 mile on my Corbin. No issues with the air intake even with the front screws just resting after my airbox mod.

I wouldn't get one if you are running the Rally Style Air Filter Setup though......
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #4895
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Air Intake Assemble = $116

New Seat = $221

It does ride on the air intake in a couple places however, it still rides on the frame rails/front post too. I've got over 5000 mile on my Corbin. No issues with the air intake even with the front screws just resting after my airbox mod.

I wouldn't get one if you are running the Rally Style Air Filter Setup though......
I stand corrected.
I did not have any issues with my airbox either, just thought it could become a concern for someone who seems to be going through seat pans regularly. You can ride home on a broken seat pan without incident, but a damaged airbox could be another issue entirely.

Quote:
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #4896
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I stand corrected.
I did not have any issues with my airbox either, just thought it could become a concern for someone who seems to be going through seat pans regularly. You can ride home on a broken seat pan without incident, but a damaged airbox could be another issue entirely.
I agree with you. I was concerned about it too, to a point. It is good that prospective buyers know as I, and assuming you and everyone else who bought one, didn't at time of purchase.

I'm starting to think that the seat pan really rides on the frame and those are just extra bumpers to stop the pan from rubbing irregularly on the airbox because it (the seat pan itself) is just that much thicker, that it is almost touching. At least, that is what I keep telling myself.

It does have bumpers on the airbox cover portion. The plastic that is made of isn't' too strong and just couldn't support a load of any sort. I almost positive that isn't putting full seat pressure on it.....

Maybe it is better than a broken stock seat riding on the wiring harness and computers?

Uller screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 10:57 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #4897
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Why do you say that? I'm running the RR filter kit....
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #4898
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Why do you say that? I'm running the RR filter kit....

The underside of the Custom Corbin Seat Pan has rubber bumpers that ride on the top cover of the air intake. I'll go take a pic......

This is the front of the seat. There are two sets of bumpers that touch the air intake. Two on the main body and two on the air filter cover. To use the Corbin Seat you remove the stock seat bracket and install this metal tab on the underside of the seat into the two threaded holes at the front of the seat. The seat and the metal tab "wedge" the front of the seat on the frame rail to secure it. I have a Safari Tank and can't remove the seat with the metal tab on so, I removed it. The tank does the function that the tab did before.... I did reinstall the two screws that hold the stock seat bracket to the frame. My Corbin rides on those at the front of the bike.

Here is the back portion. It rides on the four bumpers on the frame and battery bracket. This is where most of your weight is sent and where GrosBuck's seat is breaking. It is pretty solid. The Corbin seat is noticably heavier than the stock seat.

Here in the foreground you can easily see the rubmarks from rear of the two sets of bumpers. If you look real close you can see the set on the air intake cover. The reason I say that I wouldn't run a Corbin with the Rally Intake is because I think the rubber bumpers would damage the foam of the filter. Structurally I think it would "ride" fine (but, I am not going to try..... ) as the area of the seat above the bumpers is below the tank. I don't sit there.....

Uller screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 11:38 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #4899
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

I could be mistaken as I've never seen the RR filter kit 1st hand, but it seems to have a lower overall profile than the snorkel. I would think it would be a nonissue iterference/ vibration/ rubbing wise. Pure speculation though.

Quote:
Old 08-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4900
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I could be mistaken as I've never seen the RR filter kit 1st hand, but it seems to have a lower overall profile than the snorkel. I would think it would be a nonissue iterference/ vibration/ rubbing wise. Pure speculation though.
You might be correct.......

Between the seat issue and the amount of water we get here, I don't want to spend the money to try.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #4901
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

New Seat Base

I recall reading some time ago, maybe in the days of the Megathread, that Renazco Seats was looking into making a new seat pan for the 690. Something with epoxy that solved the breaking problem.........

It might be worth a call or an email...... (It worked for the swing arm guard )

I have been wanting to have him make me a new seat but, don't want to if the seat pan is just going to break on me.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #4902
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
The seat pan appears much sturdier than the stocker, but I would guess that a new airbox costs more than a new seat.
They are. But they weigth 2000 tons.

Paul Jr 8
Old 08-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #4903
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Soft Throttle Cam May Help For Jerkiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
I hate it I hate it I hate it

Talkin bout the 15/48 gearing that the previous owner put on my bike (of course he didnt give me the stockers). The KTM orange anodized 48T rear looks great and sets the bike off nice - great actually. BUT this thing is getting hard to ride off road. (single track scenario - not even tuff stuff) ITs jerky and almost impossible to ride in 1st and impossible to ride in anything but 1st - second is tooooo tall and really cries for help. On the road it is better - cept for 1st (too low) - rest of gears are fine. Forgot to mention that I have the Leo ignition retarder - and can only run it on 3 ( most road preferred setting). 2 makes it really impossible - #1 is OK at best, but is mainly for limited traction purposes.

For those that have switched from the 14/45(3.21)to 15/48(3.2) - tell me your thoughts. Do I need to switch back for off road ?? They are soooo close in a numbers aspect - but I never had a chance to compare to the stock gearing. DO I need to drop a tooth up front (14 = 3.43) to be happy - get that low down grunty pull that Im craving?? will it mellow out that jerky feeling and make 2nd usable off road ??

I have no quams about the gearing for higher speed riding. Blazing fire roads, highway riding, anything above 2nd and Im a happy 690 owner. But I like to ride this bike on trails - so's I needz ur helpz
If you have not done this already, try a soft throttle cam and see if it helps with the jerkiness. I use one with 14/45 gearing and it works fine. I never use the performance map, I think it is #2, as it accentuates the jerkiness. Overall, I find 14/45 to be a good compromise for on and off-road but what's important is what works for you.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #4904
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,916
Yeah, The RR filter is pretty tall. It may clear, but for sure would offer no "support" on the front of the seat..

Pardon the dirty filter I just got in and need to swap to a clean one..
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #4905
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
If you have not done this already, try a soft throttle cam and see if it helps with the jerkiness. I use one with 14/45 gearing and it works fine. I never use the performance map, I think it is #2, as it accentuates the jerkiness. Overall, I find 14/45 to be a good compromise for on and off-road but what's important is what works for you.
part number pleaz

I'll try anything to make it better
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote