ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 AM   #481
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I can't remember Paul but didn't you say once you were 5'4" and 300 lbs ... you were probably joking but I'm sure that factors in there.

On a random, similar topic, Ned Suise isn't a very big guy and I think I read somewhere he runs as much as 35-40 psi off road. Always meant to ask him about that but never did...
210 lbs these days. It varies according to NYSE. And my will to compete with Crank's belly. I understand that Seth is around that weigth too. At 35 PSI, the bikes is also uncontrolabe. Drift way too easily. The bike's ass whips like the tail of a pig caugth chewing an high frequencies electric fence.

Paul Jr 8
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #482
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Euh !? At 13 PSI front and rear, it's guaranteed i would damage both rims within 100 miles ... I cannot imagine the extent of damages if I was riding Bozilla's backyard. I mostly ride what you've seen at Paris-Dacre, but a bit more rocky with far more elevation. You've got to be riding standing all the time then. Or there's a trick I don't catch. Besides, below 18 PSI, my bike rides like an old fat ladies' ass. Drifting becomes pure suicide.

Are you still riding on the original DID rims ? What tires are you riding ? You lubricate your bib with what ? Have you considered Tubliss (eventhough they do not support officialy rim as wide as ours)

Paul Jr 8
the bib mousse gets lubed with a silicone lubricant that helps minimize heat buildup....even so they still fail from time to time. during the rally i ran stock did front rim and a stock 640A wheel on the rear. we were runnng michelin desert tires front and rear.

at home i have run trials tires on the rear, kenda trakmasters, motoz, s12's, and on the front i like the dunlop 606, S12 in sand, motoz etc. 13 to 15 psi except when i run a street tire like the scorpion and i run about 30 psi in those.

my riding in vermont is far rockier then the dacre, some sand,lots of mud, ruts, stream beds etc.....i sit down a lot. riding speeds are 20 to 30 mph and good lines are key. before the rally replaced my rear rim as it had some bent spokes and dents after 3 years of abuse. after the rally my front rim has a good dent...but doesnt matter much when running mousse. rally speeds were as high as 100 and as slow as 10 in some nasty sections.



i'm 205 lbs in street clothes.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 AM   #483
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Disconnecting causes the ECU to run in open loop mode which means that it does not try to adjust the air/fuel mixture in the lower rpm/throttle range. The ECU runs solely from the stored maps. The Akra map also turns off loop back operation. You can turn off loop back mode with TuneECU. When you turn it off you don't get the flash code.
Thanks for the explanation Jack.
There wasn't enough of a difference with it unplugged so I put it back together yesterday.

Another question: Occasionally the battery seems to have a low charge and can't quite crank the engine over the first compression stroke. Never fails to start right up after the initial lag though. Is this common with anyone else? I replaced the original battery because of this and now I've got the Shorai installed and it does the same thing. My bike is an early 2010 with a 2009 build date and the battery had a 2009 date as well so I figured the battery was the issue.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #484
Maurizio
2 smoker
 
Maurizio's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Turin, Italy
Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
at home i have run trials tires on the rear, kenda trakmasters, motoz, s12's, and on the front i like the dunlop 606, S12 in sand, motoz etc. 13 to 15 psi

i'm 205 lbs in street clothes.
I had to convert imperial to metric values, but I agree with Seth:

currently, for our terrain, mostly two track, singletrack, hard terrain or mud, I'm running Pirelli Scorpion Pro FIM enduro tires at 0,9/1,0 atm, stock rims, and my weight with gear is over 100 kgs: this shoud compare with 15 psi and 220lbs... (I know, I need some diet...).
__________________
maurizio
'14 250 EXC E "Sparkling Orange"
'08 FLHCTUSE3 - '76 CB 750 F ss
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #485
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
210 lbs these days. It varies according to NYSE. And my will to compete with Crank's belly. I understand that Seth is around that weigth too. At 35 PSI, the bikes is also uncontrolabe. Drift way too easily. The bike's ass whips like the tail of a pig caugth chewing an high frequencies electric fence.

Paul Jr 8
__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #486
Biped
NooB Again
 
Biped's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Oregon, Wet Side
Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Another question: Occasionally the battery seems to have a low charge and can't quite crank the engine over the first compression stroke. Never fails to start right up after the initial lag though. Is this common with anyone else? I replaced the original battery because of this and now I've got the Shorai installed and it does the same thing. My bike is an early 2010 with a 2009 build date and the battery had a 2009 date as well so I figured the battery was the issue.
Could be the auto decompression on the cam not kicking over when the shut the motor off. Mine has done it on occasion, about 5 times in 9500 miles. Listen for it to click in when you shut it down. Sounds like your first crank is at full compression, which the electrics can not handle. Read on the Mega Thread (R.I.P) some time ago that someone dislodged the spring on the decomp accidentally during valve shim inspection.
__________________
If it moves and it should not, duct tape it, if it does not move and it should WD40 it!
Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #487
Xico
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 16
KTM 690 Enduro R export to Angola

I'm currently working in Angola, and in the process of buying a KTM 690 Enduro R still on the crate, in Portugal or another country in Europe and ship it to Angola. In Angola, the price for a KTM 690 Enduro is USD18.000,00!



Since I want to get rid of the original exhaust, and get an aftermarket one (maybe Akrapovic), is it better to get it installed and remapped in Portugal, or is it something that I can do by myself here in Angola, using TuneECU, Tuneboy, or a similar software?

The primary objective of this bike is to travel on and off road, here and in other African countries... Is there any other parts that you recommend replacement, or other issues that should get some attention in Europe prior to the export?
Xico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #488
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
210 lbs these days. It varies according to NYSE. And my will to compete with Crank's belly. I understand that Seth is around that weigth too. At 35 PSI, the bikes is also uncontrolabe. Drift way too easily. The bike's ass whips like the tail of a pig caugth chewing an high frequencies electric fence.

Paul Jr 8

You lost, I'm down to 220 now and I'll always be 6-3
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #489
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 13,974
Wondering what to do with my 690, I don't have the time to screw with it lately and it's just sitting in my garage. The phantom problem has not yet been solved and I'm running out of options. I don't trust the KTM dealer to solve it and honestly, why shovel more money at it. Considering just parting it out but is it worth it? I do have the Vortex and of course the Safari tanks and the SXS forks, which I'll probably keep. I hate to give up but I don't have a lot of time, I need to spend it with my Mom right now and not with a motorcycle.

Advice?
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #490
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Wondering what to do with my 690, I don't have the time to screw with it lately and it's just sitting in my garage. The phantom problem has not yet been solved and I'm running out of options. I don't trust the KTM dealer to solve it and honestly, why shovel more money at it. Considering just parting it out but is it worth it? I do have the Vortex and of course the Safari tanks and the SXS forks, which I'll probably keep. I hate to give up but I don't have a lot of time, I need to spend it with my Mom right now and not with a motorcycle.

Advice?
bring it down here. when i get over this flu i'll have a go at it.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #491
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xico View Post
or is it something that I can do by myself here in Angola, using TuneECU,
Yes.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #492
Bruno T .
N8YQ
 
Bruno T .'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Detroit area, MI
Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xico View Post
Is there any other parts that you recommend replacement, or other issues that should get some attention in Europe prior to the export?
Here's a list, courtesy of FriedDuck;

"QUICK CHECKS FOR NEW OWNERS
1.) Protect the radiator from the fan shroud rubbing (back it off using a washer for the top bolt, or use weather stripping.)
2.) Similarly, check that the plastic plug for the fan power supply isn't rubbing on the radiator. (Top, middle left of the rad, the plug is zip-tied in place.)
3.) Remove the top bolts that hold the diffuser to the radiator and replace with zipties to avoid having these ripped out by a fall
4.) Wrap the radiator overflow hose with something to keep the radiator mount bracket from rubbing a hole through the hose.
5.) Wrap the fuel line under the seat with something to keep the frame bolt (better description?) from rubbing a hole through the line. It's on the left hand side, under the seat, almost exactly in the middle of the bike.
6.) (For 2008) liberally spray the rear brake lever with WD40 to keep it from hanging up. There's no busing for the lever, and dirt will cause it to stick.
7.) Replace the stock paper air filter with a foam one. Rally Raid and Twin Air both make one.
8.) Replace the fuel filler neck with an aftermarket one to keep dirt out. Renazco and Rally Raid both sell them. "
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #493
Barman
Way Offline
 
Barman's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
Could be the auto decompression on the cam not kicking over when the shut the motor off. Mine has done it on occasion, about 5 times in 9500 miles. Listen for it to click in when you shut it down. Sounds like your first crank is at full compression, which the electrics can not handle. Read on the Mega Thread (R.I.P) some time ago that someone dislodged the spring on the decomp accidentally during valve shim inspection.
Thanks.
I thought I remembered something about it just figured I'd check to see if it might be something else.
It's real fun at the stop light and it stalls in gear. The combo of compression and clutch drag has made for a few embarassing moments getting it restarted. Thankfully it has given up with the stalling issue, no troubles for a long time now. I wonder if going up a size with the Shorai might give it a bit more cranking power. Plenty of room in the box.
__________________
I am at one with my duality.
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #494
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xico View Post
I'm currently working in Angola, and in the process of buying a KTM 690 Enduro R still on the crate, in Portugal or another country in Europe and ship it to Angola. In Angola, the price for a KTM 690 Enduro is USD18.000,00!

Since I want to get rid of the original exhaust, and get an aftermarket one (maybe Akrapovic), is it better to get it installed and remapped in Portugal, or is it something that I can do by myself here in Angola, using TuneECU, Tuneboy, or a similar software?

The primary objective of this bike is to travel on and off road, here and in other African countries... Is there any other parts that you recommend replacement, or other issues that should get some attention in Europe prior to the export?
I have had a 2010 with a Leo Vince and now have a 2011 with an Akrapovic. To be honest, prefer the Leo Vince in some ways. Quieter for one. The price of the Leo V is pretty damn cheap these days, and i didn't have any need to remap. My Akra has the revised mapping and it certainly runs on the rich side. Been too busy to get in and take a look with TuneECU; but it runs fine (but rich). If it is a 2011, the cooling fan is mounted differently, so no need to address. Would look at replacing the tank mount bolts, both upper and lower. Too many have had issues. Rear brake lever is soft as putty and will put a hole in the case if you hit it right. Get a billet on, or at least put some protection on the case. Wiring connectors could all do with a once over with some dielectric grease and there have also been a number with fuel pump issues. At the least, get a replacement for the stock fuel cap to keep the mud out of the tank. Rally Raid products have a fine assortment of pics of mods, bling and needed bits.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #495
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
... . I hate to give up but I don't have a lot of time, I need to spend it with my Mom right now and not with a motorcycle. Advice?
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh fu.. I hate to hear all of that. I recently lost my little sister, and my almost twin brother 4 years ago, my mother is now alzeimer ... Damit. Life is a bitch.

Paul Jr
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014