Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #4951
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
I cannot say whether or not you have a broken radiator but I CAN say that a few weeks ago when I took mine out to repair a tiny leak, I noticed that mine seemed "tweaked" and asymmetrical as well. I ended up finding pictures of a new radiator on line that confirmed to me that it is in fact higher on one side versus the other and that is normal / intended. I don't know if your radiator is any different looking than mine (in its height difference from one side to the other). I was comfortable believing that it is intended to be that way - at least based on the pictures I ended up finding online. If it isn't leaking, slap it back in and enjoy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I have split my radiator over the weekend. I can't tell where its bent/tweaked, or if it is bent/tweaked.
Now I know the radiator is curved from side to side.
Does one side of the radiator sit higher than the other (not symmetrical)?
Hard to straighten a non symmetrical radiator.

So I either fix a bent radiator or purchase a new replacement (not cheap I would guess).
Opinions?

Also, has anyone installed the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards? (universal)
No clearance for the clutch lever and poor fitment on the tapered fat bar section, to me causing a stress riser.
Universal means it fits nothing...

And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #4952
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,335
What kind of clutch and brake levers have you guys upgraded to? I have tweaked mine one to many times.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #4953
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Also, has anyone installed the Acerbis Rally Pro hand guards? (universal)
No clearance for the clutch lever and poor fitment on the tapered fat bar section, to me causing a stress riser.
Universal means it fits nothing...

The mount on the handlebar is probably "up side down", so to speak. Turn it around its axis (damn itīs hard to explain when english isnīt the first language...hope you understand ) and slide it up towards the handle to get more room for the clutchlever.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #4954
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
I have split my radiator over the weekend. I can't tell where its bent/tweaked, or if it is bent/tweaked.
Now I know the radiator is curved from side to side.
Does one side of the radiator sit higher than the other (not symmetrical)?
Hard to straighten a non symmetrical radiator.

So I either fix a bent radiator or purchase a new replacement (not cheap I would guess).
Opinions?

I just had my radiator off to give it a good cleaning and it definietly doesn't look like that. I also don't agree that it is higher on one side than the other. I do believe that the mounting points on both sides should be even with one another.

Just a guess, but, you landed on the R side. I am thinking you need to get a new unit, instead of repair, and a set of radiator guards (or a safari tank). How did the Rally Raid Tanks fair?
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #4955
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
What kind of clutch and brake levers have you guys upgraded to? I have tweaked mine one to many times.
I am running these. I had to wait about 6 months for them. I thought they were special for the 690 but apparently they are the same as the ones I have on my 990 Supermoto. Not crash tested yet and I have bark busters anyway, but I like the ease of adjustment while riding. Very pricey but high quality.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...s/fp-690-lever
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #4956
rdkyote
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I am running these. I had to wait about 6 months for them. I thought they were special for the 690 but apparently they are the same as the ones I have on my 990 Supermoto. Not crash tested yet and I have bark busters anyway, but I like the ease of adjustment while riding. Very pricey but high quality.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-part...s/fp-690-lever
yeah those look nice, i almost pulled the trigger on those when a rock jumped up and broke my clutch lever. I ended up just getting another OEM lever for 50 bucks. Anybody know of a "cheaper than the OEM" lever to carry as a spare?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #4957
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I just had my radiator off to give it a good cleaning and it definietly doesn't look like that. I also don't agree that it is higher on one side than the other. I do believe that the mounting points on both sides should be even with one another.

Just a guess, but, you landed on the R side. I am thinking you need to get a new unit, instead of repair, and a set of radiator guards (or a safari tank). How did the Rally Raid Tanks fair?
Mine was pretty badly bent and the filler neck broken. Myler's fixed it quickly (low cost) and is still working great today except that the lower plastic screws don't line up properly. I replaced them with zip ties (much easier on/off now).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #4958
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
speaking of handguards....

I would like to order the HDB setup but I'm not 100% clear on what I'm asking for so, requesting a little guidance.

I have emailed with Paul but perhaps a few pics or different phrasing from someone here may help more.

I know I want the ADV clamp, guards, mirrors, etc all anodized.

I'd also like the finished height to be about 1.5" above stock (aprox...I'm kind of guessing until I try it out). But I'm not sure how that translates to which size to ask for as the HDB lower clamps are: 1 3/4, 2 1/8, 2 1/2 or 3" tall. Or maybe the question I need to be asking is what is the stock size?

Lastly - I'd like to add a damper to the setup, but don't think I can do that right now. Are there any issues with adding one to this setup at a later time?

I asked Paul that and this was the response....

"My understanding is the Scotts/BRP type you can add on later to a 690 without any changes and add's about an inch, with my setup you'd want to get it up front as the rider side bolt go thru the top clamp, my setup only supports the forward most handlebar position and the mount is about 7/16" thick then you add on the lower clamps, 1 3/4, 2 1/8, 2 1/2 or 3" tall, see the gif."

Each time I read that I come out with a different answer. I guess I'm just thick.

Thanks for any info and pics...wanting to place my order asap.

Thanks,

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #4959
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Mine was pretty badly bent and the filler neck broken. Myler's fixed it quickly (low cost) and is still working great today except that the lower plastic screws don't line up properly. I replaced them with zip ties (much easier on/off now).
You could very well be correct and they can fix it. It just looks like it has shifted up quite a bit on the R side.

They (Myler's) must be able to work magic....
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #4960
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.
On my Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, I'll take the shims out... I started out that way. Slightly out of square fitting on the bars shims or not and I did flip my mounts for best fitment. Stock levers.

Mylers said to me they can align my radiator. ...Done 60,000 of them.
With the price of a oem 690 radiator at over $500, that is the route I will go.

Uller, I would say my RR saddle tanks don't crash that well. The bolts/studs holding them on and the aluminum sleeves are bent. The left side was just from stalling out fall over at walking speed. The right side hit pretty hard on my high side. So the hardware is soft. The tanks themselves are tough!
The side panels are roughed up.
I need to get radiator guards.

I have gassed up, backed in, slid out and lifted the front wheel all over the place. I haven't babied the bike other than a calm break-in.
The motor and chassis do well. The fuel injection and aftermarket are weak areas.
I don't take well to cheap (yet expensive) aftermarket crap.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #4961
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen.
On my Acerbis Rally Pro handguards, I'll take the shims out... I started out that way. Slightly out of square fitting on the bars shims or not and I did flip my mounts for best fitment. Stock levers.

I don't take well to cheap (yet expensive) aftermarket crap.
When installing barkbusters in the past, you never had to adjust the bend of the barkbuster to fit squarely against the mount? Does every handlebar ever made have the same sweep to the rear? Does the taper of every brand of 1-1/8" bars begin at the same spot? Is every clutch lever the same length? Does everyone position their clutch lever assembly the same distance from the end of the bar? No one can make a truly universal plug-n-play handguard. Although, the ones that offer another axis of adjustment by having a movable "stalk" where the guard mounts on the interior mount come a lot closer.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #4962
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
No one can make a truly universal plug-n-play...
Exactly. I have been involved with a couple of custom bikes over the years.
Universal means it fits nothing. Adapt, tweak, bend...
Personally I would like to see aftermarket making products to fit specific bikes.
Costs more yes, but not a 'one size fits all'.
I am not blasting the KTM aftermarket alone. Much aftermarket for various bikes, cars, 4x4's etc... /rant.
I'll get on with my parts selection.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #4963
phx690
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm a new 2012 690 owner, only have about a hundred miles on it. I read through a ton of threads on stalling, just looking for an opinion. Only thing the bike has on it is an apex slip-on. This bike stalls at almost every light, as I'm taking a left I will give it a little gas and it stalls. Then it can take up to ten tries to get it going with a few good pops coming from the exhaust. They didn't add any new maps or anything, the dealership said that would make it stall more. Need some advice because I'm going on a 2000 mile ride Tuesday.
phx690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #4964
asheville thumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx690 View Post
I'm a new 2012 690 owner, only have about a hundred miles on it. I read through a ton of threads on stalling, just looking for an opinion. Only thing the bike has on it is an apex slip-on. This bike stalls at almost every light, as I'm taking a left I will give it a little gas and it stalls. Then it can take up to ten tries to get it going with a few good pops coming from the exhaust. They didn't add any new maps or anything, the dealership said that would make it stall more. Need some advice because I'm going on a 2000 mile ride Tuesday.
Many stalling issues have been documented when adding a free flowing exhaust like the FMF Apex. They consensus was that it doesn't create enough back pressure. Did it come with a removable baffle? If so, I would put that back in. If not, I would try remapping with the Akro map (TuneECU) or reinstall the stock exhaust for your trip and purchase a FMF Q4, Wings, or Akro when you return...and have it mapped with the Akro map.

I can't believe your dealership wouldn't want to remap after adding an unrestricted exhaust like the Apex. Open up the exhaust you're going to need more fuel.
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE
asheville thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #4965
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx690 View Post
I have a 2012 with an FMF and it doesn't stall....
it backfires like a pack mule farting sometimes...
but it did that with the stock muffler...

It seems that the 690 has been wildly inconsistent since the first model...
every new year model has had some reports of stalling
The 2012's have warm start issues...
my 2008 has never had even a minor hiccup in 11,000 miles

Tell you dealer to call KTM...when I complained about the backfires on my 2012, they told my dealer to install the Akro map...
SKINNY is online now   Reply With Quote