Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 06:40 AM   #4966
phx690
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
The dealership just said the new map would make it stall more. I would imagine it came with a baffle, I assume it's this 3" long slightly tapered metal piece with a quarter inch lip around the top.
phx690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #4967
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx690 View Post
The dealership just said the new map would make it stall more. I would imagine it came with a baffle, I assume it's this 3" long slightly tapered metal piece with a quarter inch lip around the top.
Yep, It installs between the Muffler and the connector pipe. Supposedly it has the most effect with the narrow end pointing towards the front of the bike, but I noticed almost zero effect, it's still obnoxiously load and stalls. I went back to stock, quieter but it still stalls.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #4968
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,268
Quote:
I'm a new 2012 690 owner, only have about a hundred miles on it. I read through a ton of threads on stalling, just looking for an opinion. Only thing the bike has on it is an apex slip-on. This bike stalls at almost every light, as I'm taking a left I will give it a little gas and it stalls. Then it can take up to ten tries to get it going with a few good pops coming from the exhaust. They didn't add any new maps or anything, the dealership said that would make it stall more. Need some advice because I'm going on a 2000 mile ride Tuesday.

Get an FMF Q4, and do the 15 minute reset, no remap required, and waaaaaay less obnoxious than the Apex.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #4969
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:

I have a 2012 also with about 2600 miles so far. My exhaust is stock. I switched my map to #1 (soft) early on and it started stalling occasionally. It would happen at a stop light if I bliped the throttle plus a couple times crawling through a jammed freeway.

An inmate suggested changing the map setting sometimes causes the stalling. The fix for it is to turn on the key, open the throttle slowly to the stop, and close it slowly. Then turn off the key. Presto! Hasn't stalled in the last 2k miles.

The other fix is the 15 minute idle. I think what this does is reset the ECU to it's default settings, thereby unlearning the rider's power habits.

I thought I read there is a way to bump up the idle. If there is it might be a quick fix to get you through your trip. My old 950 stalled a lot and I just bumped the idle from 1400 to 1600.

If that doesn't work, why not put the stock muffler back on and do the throttle twist thingie...

Good luck
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4970
phx690
Adventurer

What is the 15 minute reset?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #4971
phx690
Adventurer

Any suggestions on extra parts I should be taking with me. Only thing I'm taking other than the basics is an extra fuel pump and filter.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #4972
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=22
Old 08-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #4973
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Do the TPS reset like Pantah suggested. The 15min reset consists of starting the engine from dead cold (sitting overnight), just let it sit and idle for 15mins straight with zero inputs (throttle etc.).

My understanding is that it resets the sensors, gives them adequate time to adjust to new weather/ air density conditions.

Also, don't know if this is part of your issue, but on my 08, you are not supposed to have any throttle input until the temp gauge reaches 4 bars. I found that the few times I ignored this, she seemed to stall very frequently. The last time I pushed my luck with that suggestion, it stalled as I was pulling into traffic.

Quote:
Any suggestions on extra parts I should be taking with me. Only thing I'm taking other than the basics is an extra fuel pump and filter.
If the tail light/ directional configuration is the same as the 08s, I'd take 3 or 4 extra left side rear directionals.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #4974
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 239
Here's a new one...

'08 Model, has been running great for 11k miles. While rding along the FI light comes on solid and the engine tone gets louder, lots of popping on decel. Cycle key/kill on/off and back to running great again. Happens itermittantly. No other FI warning lights. Will connect to TuneECU tonight to check for codes. Any suggestions....
I'm thinking could be SAS signal related, did the SAS'ectomy 3 years ago, resistor may have corrosion causing ECU to blunder.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #4975
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
'08 Model, has been running great for 11k miles. While rding along the FI light comes on solid and the engine tone gets louder, lots of popping on decel. Cycle key/kill on/off and back to running great again. Happens itermittantly. No other FI warning lights. Will connect to TuneECU tonight to check for codes. Any suggestions....
I'm thinking could be SAS signal related, did the SAS'ectomy 3 years ago, resistor may have corrosion causing ECU to blunder.

You have to put it into neutral for the FI light to flash your code for you, then compare with the manual for code. Remember to count both long, and short flashes, ie; 4 long, 3 short = (x) code.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #4976
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Blink Code

Mine is flashing one long & three short.
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too low
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too high

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #4977
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Mine is flashing one long & three short.
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too low
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too high

Wiring to the sensor is either broken or the sensors gone bad due to the wiring pulling on the sensor. This happens a lot on 690's.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #4978
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
You have to put it into neutral for the FI light to flash your code for you, then compare with the manual for code. Remember to count both long, and short flashes, ie; 4 long, 3 short = (x) code.
I did that, and no codes. I have picked up codes on TuneECU before that were not displayed on the bike. Will report back tonight..
Old 08-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #4979
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
I have a 2012 with an FMF and it doesn't stall....
it backfires like a pack mule farting sometimes...
but it did that with the stock muffler...

It seems that the 690 has been wildly inconsistent since the first model...
every new year model has had some reports of stalling
The 2012's have warm start issues...
my 2008 has never had even a minor hiccup in 11,000 miles

Tell you dealer to call KTM...when I complained about the backfires on my 2012, they told my dealer to install the Akro map...

You can thank California for this. I suspect it takes a lot of funky stuff to make some of these bikes compliant with emmissions. So they run like crap with no power and lots of issues but they pass the emmissions test. Bravo

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #4980
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
You can thank California for this. I suspect it takes a lot of funky stuff to make some of these bikes compliant with emmissions. So they run like crap with no power and lots of issues but they pass the emmissions test. Bravo
I think we were all happier with the 49 state models...when the factories started building 50 state legal stuff, we all got cursed with the California drizzling shits...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote