User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #5041
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
Hi Seth,

In the EU running dot or not is more of an insurance issue: if you run tyres that are not road approved and get in to an accident your not insured, even if it's no your mistake.

Wont the US insurances bother you in the same way?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #5042
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,868
In MI, if the LEO is on his period, he can have your shit impounded - and some in our group have been checked.

Since the Scorpion pro is pretty much an S12 with a DOT stamp, i'd rather not give them the open invitation to nail me.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #5043
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
Hi Seth,

In the EU running dot or not is more of an insurance issue: if you run tyres that are not road approved and get in to an accident your not insured, even if it's no your mistake.

Prove it please
Old 08-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #5044
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Well maybe yes ...

I tried Michelin M12 and S12 on the 690 and after 500 km, 30% of the knobs on the rear wheel were gone. Reported missing on duty. Needless to say the behavior was similar to some compacting equipments.

Paul Jr
That has nothing to do with them not having a DOT rating as it is they are MX tires made for well groomed MX tracks.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #5045
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
In MI, if the LEO is on his period, he can have your shit impounded - and some in our group have been checked.

Since the Scorpion pro is pretty much an S12 with a DOT stamp, i'd rather not give them the open invitation to nail me.
As if I needed even another reason to avoid MI.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #5046
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Well maybe yes ...

I tried Michelin M12 and S12 on the 690 and after 500 km, 30% of the knobs on the rear wheel were gone. Reported missing on duty. Needless to say the behavior was similar to some compacting equipments.

Paul Jr
i never said rear use for the m 12
i have found the front to last longer on my 690 than it does on my husaberg and it weighs at least 50 lbs less than the 690
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #5047
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Bob,
You have to let the front tire touch the ground every once and a while

The other day a rider suggested a TKC 80 for an intermediate front tire....today a friend whose 690 was stolen from his driveway last summer gave me a TKC front tire when I was buying a rear brake rotor from him (new for $70 )....

Now....just to find a ride to scrub it off

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 AM   #5048
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
2009 690 Enduro repair manual PDF?

Does anybody know if there's a downloadable PDF file out there for the 2009 Enduro? I want to put it on my phone for my upcoming trip.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #5049
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Does anybody know if there's a downloadable PDF file out there for the 2009 Enduro? I want to put it on my phone for my upcoming trip.
PM sent.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #5050
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider58 View Post
I still would like to replace the connector (it's well worn now from all the wire replacements and rework), so if anyone finds a replacement source, please share.

Thanks again--let's ride!!
This looks like it. It's from a 2004 KTM spare part connector catalog that someone shared here. PM me if you want a PDF copy. It's the only place I've found part numbers for common connectors. (It's not to scale as far as length goes, to add to the confusion; and yes, I see the joke that will follow.)

FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #5051
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Hi Seth,

I'm surprised there's not some obscure boiler plate language in the policy that provides a loop hole for the insurance carrier in the event some component of the insured vehicle is not DOT approved. They're all about not paying out under some bs clause.

All i could see is a blanket tire exclusion, under collision coverage.

Like Aaron said, are you stating fact, or just an assumption on your part ?
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #5052
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,355
Quote:
Hi Seth,

It's not quite like that even in the EU, but if your bike has certain non-approved changes - that get discovered when you are in an accident - then it is likely that the burden of proof will be upon you to show that there was no causality. And rightfully so, IMO.

For example if you are running sticky racing tires then it won't be hard to prove that your stopping distance was not negatively affected, but the same can't be said for pure offroad racing knobbies if you run them on the street.

This is why in a few countries in the EU (for example Germany) the vehicle manufacturer together with the government has to establish a list of tested and approved tires, specified down to the exact manufacturer, model, load rating, and speed index.

Nanny state for sure, but it has both advantages and disadvantages. Of course this applies only if you are running on public roads, where the choices you make are possibly directly affecting others.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #5053
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It's not quite like that even in the EU, but if your bike has certain non-approved changes - that get discovered when you are in an accident - then it is likely that the burden of proof will be upon you to show that there was no causality. And rightfully so, IMO.

For example if you are running sticky racing tires then it won't be hard to prove that your stopping distance was not negatively affected, but the same can't be said for pure offroad racing knobbies if you run them on the street.

This is why in a few countries in the EU (for example Germany) the vehicle manufacturer together with the government has to establish a list of tested and approved tires, specified down to the exact manufacturer, model, load rating, and speed index.

Nanny state for sure, but it has both advantages and disadvantages. Of course this applies only if you are running on public roads, where the choices you make are possibly directly affecting others.
...and somewhere KTM has a PDF (here) with the approved tyres. The TKC's are M+S rated, so you are also covered in winter in Germany, where it is a requirement in the winter months. They also have non brand specific tyre size for the 690 listed
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #5054
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,062
I ran the Michelin Desert Racing tires in Baja. They were very durable but the front was very skittish on sand covered hard pack. I was running about 20psi which was probably high but I did not want any pinch flats either. Normally I run TKC-80s and have been happy enough with them for a highway/trail tire although wear rate is pretty high.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #5055
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
VR,
I think 18-22 is a good front tire pressure for Baja and similar conditions.....the bent rims in Baja are most often due to underinflated tires

The TKC 80 has very soft sidewalls....they are good while they last.....first half of tread wear seems to occur fairly quickly, and the last half of the knobs takes longer to wear down in my experience...

I will use the free TKC front tire for a long ride where gravel and pavement are predominant road surfaces....the Mitas E09 Dakar for trips with mostly gravel and dirt, and the Pirelli XCMH for the rougher applications....

Now, how about oil?????

(just joking)....I am happy with Motul 10-60 full synth

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote