Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #5056
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I ran the Michelin Desert Racing tires in Baja. They were very durable but the front was very skittish on sand covered hard pack. I was running about 20psi which was probably high but I did not want any pinch flats either. Normally I run TKC-80s and have been happy enough with them for a highway/trail tire although wear rate is pretty high.

The desert tires are durable and work great around 13 to 15 psi but they are not particularly good tires. What they gain in durability they lose in just about everything else.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #5057
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The desert tires are durable and work great around 13 to 15 psi but they are not particularly good tires. What they gain in durability they lose in just about everything else.
I agree. I spent a lot of time slipping and sliding around on those things. Of course then I just decided to go with it and ride the 690 real loose, which is pretty damn fun until the "running off the road and crashing because the front won't hook up" part
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM   #5058
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
Excellent choice.
I can't believe how quick it got to me. It was faster than anything I've ever ordered here in the US! It looks to be a high quality skidplate. Thanks again!

I pulled the Scotts damper of my XR, and ordered everything needed to put it on the 690.

10 GSA 30th, 13 S1000RR,70 z50, 71 ct70, 79 CBX, 14 Grom,78 KZ1000 B2, 4 81 GPz550's, 02 ZRX1200R,12 690 Enduro R, 70 Rupp Enduro, 86 RG500 Gamma, 03 SV630N, 75 gt80 Mini Enduro, 2 81 Seca 550's, 2 84 RZ350's, 84 RZV500R,
Canyon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #5059
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rider View Post
I can't believe how quick it got to me. It was faster than anything I've ever ordered here in the US! It looks to be a high quality skidplate. Thanks again!

I pulled the Scotts damper of my XR, and ordered everything needed to put it on the 690.
Excellent.
Such a nice looking plate. Not the point but it doesn't hurt.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #5060
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Is that the new rubber sub mount ?
http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabiliz...=1323&DPID=965

Quote:

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #5061
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
VR,
I think 18-22 is a good front tire pressure for Baja and similar conditions.....the bent rims in Baja are most often due to underinflated tires

The TKC 80 has very soft sidewalls....they are good while they last.....first half of tread wear seems to occur fairly quickly, and the last half of the knobs takes longer to wear down in my experience...

I will use the free TKC front tire for a long ride where gravel and pavement are predominant road surfaces....the Mitas E09 Dakar for trips with mostly gravel and dirt, and the Pirelli XCMH for the rougher applications....

Now, how about oil?????

(just joking)....I am happy with Motul 10-60 full synth
I like the MotoZ H/T , MT21 front combo myself for all around riding. I have not run many "real" knobbies, but was really impressed with the XCMH front on dirt, it just burns up pretty quick on pavement IMO.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #5062
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
I ran the Michelin Desert Racing tires in Baja. They were very durable but the front was very skittish on sand covered hard pack. I was running about 20psi which was probably high but I did not want any pinch flats either. Normally I run TKC-80s and have been happy enough with them for a highway/trail tire although wear rate is pretty high.
I think any front tire in Baja will be skittish, I think its the nature of the terrain to a certain extent. I found the same to be true with the Motoz HT front on my SE. It felt flat the whole time but it wasn't.... until it suddenly was
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #5063
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I think any front tire in Baja will be skittish, I think its the nature of the terrain to a certain extent. I found the same to be true with the Motoz HT front on my SE. It felt flat the whole time but it wasn't.... until it suddenly was
Yeah you are right. Hard pack dirt with a coating of sand is asking a lot from a tire.....

The Michelin tires were great in deep sand though.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #5064
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Yeah you are right. Hard pack dirt with a coating of sand is asking a lot from a tire.....

The Michelin tires were great in deep sand though.
If they ever make a tire that allows a 500# bike to handle the whoops in San Felipe, let me know
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #5065
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Have you ever run the MotoZ s/t front? I have one on the shelf I have not tried yet..
Old 08-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #5066
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Have you ever run the MotoZ s/t front? I have one on the shelf I have not tried yet..
No, not yet. I'm getting ready to order another pallet of tires though, so I'll be sure to grab a few.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #5067
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:

I ordered an Advspec plate and the same day I ordered something from California. The Skidplate arrived from the UK days before the California object and they shipped on the same day

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #5068
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
No, not yet. I'm getting ready to order another pallet of tires though, so I'll be sure to grab a few.

I was just curious if anyone knew how they performed/ held up.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #5069
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,834
oh another tyre thread

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #5070
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickd View Post
oh another tyre thread
what would you like to talk about?