Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #5086
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,071
New problem with my 2012 690R. It has about 2800 miles. Cold start up in the morning my low oil pressure light stays on. I shut it off and flip the key back and forth and re-fire her. Light stays on but goes out if I raise the RPM. Then I shut it off again and flip the key back and forth. I fire it up and all is good.

The site gage has oil. Seems like it might be the instrument, but then if I raise the RPM the light goes out! That seems like oil pressure.

My old KTM 950 did something similar, but in that case, the oil light flashed with pump pulsing. It went away as soon as the oil warmed.

I can take it to the dealer for warranty, but he's 90 minutes away. Thoughts?

Other than this thing that started last week, the bike has been great. The motor smoothed out to. After about 10 minutes on the freeway at 67mph, the ECU must adjust something because the bar vibes go away. It was always smooth above 73mph and below 63.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:44 AM   #5087
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurfer View Post
Riding sunrise to sundown for 14 straight days, going to go as fast and far as we can.
I have a shop in the middle of Arkansas, I will pm my number to you in case you need anything. Looks like you will be having a great time.. Nice garage collection!!!

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #5088
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
New problem with my 2012 690R. It has about 2800 miles. Cold start up in the morning my low oil pressure light stays on. I shut it off and flip the key back and forth and re-fire her. Light stays on but goes out if I raise the RPM. Then I shut it off again and flip the key back and forth. I fire it up and all is good.

The site gage has oil. Seems like it might be the instrument, but then if I raise the RPM the light goes out! That seems like oil pressure.

My old KTM 950 did something similar, but in that case, the oil light flashed with pump pulsing. It went away as soon as the oil warmed.

Other than this thing that started last week, the bike has been great. The motor smoothed out to. After about 10 minutes on the freeway at 67mph, the ECU must adjust something because the bar vibes go away. It was always smooth above 73mph and below 63.

How long since your last oil change? My screens used to get a very fine, pastey, mettalic substance in them (clutch wear I suspect). This would clog some portions of the screens. Did you clean the screens during your last oil change? Just shooting in the dark, but that is what came to mind (restricted flow), besides the obvious oil pump, or sensor sending unit you mentioned.

Re; vibes, that could have something to do with your tires too. Although I did notice at all speeds, my mirror cleared up to the point of visible when pulling in the clutch and dropping throttle.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #5089
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 395
Quote:

It's most likely the sensor, know of at least 10 SMC-R -12 that had same problem here in Sweden, order a new one or ask dealer to do so.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #5090
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quick risers question

Does anyone know off hand what the tallest riser an 08E model can take without making any changes to the cables.

I'm installing a set of HDB guards tomorrow but leaving for a trip the next day. I don't have much time to re-route cables.

Appreciate any input you have.

Btw - Paul has supplied me with 2 sizes. I'll be sending him back the ones I don't want.

Thanks,

Cord
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #5091
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Does anyone know off hand what the tallest riser an 08E model can take without making any changes to the cables.

I'm installing a set of HDB guards tomorrow but leaving for a trip the next day. I don't have much time to re-route cables.

Btw - Paul has supplied me with 2 sizes. I'll be sending him back the ones I don't want.

Thanks,

Cord
I've think you should be fine with the highest. I've got the rally raid sub mount and a 25mm riser plate with a bunch of room to spare. Just rotate the throttle tube 180 degrees from how it is stock.

Enjoy the WABDR. And make sure my riding partner makes it in one piece. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #5092
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post

Thanks,

Cord
How tall are you?

You can easily go 3" but you will need to flip the throttle cable upside down

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #5093
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Have you ever run the MotoZ s/t front? I have one on the shelf I have not tried yet..
I've had a motoz s/t on the front for the last ~1000 miles and will say that it is quite certainly the worst performing tire that I have ever run! I wanted the I/T but at the time I could not find any in stock so I thought I'd give the s/t a try. Bad highway manners is to be expected, but this thing pushes through turns as if it were a slick on every type of terrain I've had it in, sand, rock, hardpack, hardpack with loose rock on top, asphalt, etc. I have not had it in mud but can't imagine that it would suddenly hook up there! Everytime I've read peoples complaints about their tires following grooves on the highway or twitchiness, I just figure that they've never ridden with knobbies... this tire now has me complaining about the same things, every non-dot knobby I've ever run has tracked better on and offroad than the motoz s/t. The 90/100 size is nearly an inch taller than my 90/100 dunlop 745 or 90/100 michelin HP4 so I raised my forks in the clamps another 1/2" to compensate and still no dice.

There is one upside though (unless like me you have a hard time throwing away tires that still have useable tread), after 1000miles it still has nearly the same knob height as it did when new. I'll be donating this tire to my riding buddy as soon as I decide on a replacement. I have had great success with motoz x-circuit rear as well as the h/t rear and would buy either again, but none of the fronts have made me happy.
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #5094
CordR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
I've think you should be fine with the highest. I've got the rally raid sub mount and a 25mm riser plate with a bunch of room to spare. Just rotate the throttle tube 180 degrees from how it is stock.

Enjoy the WABDR. And make sure my riding partner makes it in one piece. :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, Seth and Uller.

I was pretty sure flipping the throttle cable would work and be easy enough, but thought I would ask the experts.

I'm only 5'11 but felt a bit hunched over when standing. Paul gave me the 2 1/8, and the 2 1/2 to try so I'll just put the 2 1/2 on. I'm hoping that will be enough.

Uller - I'll do my best to take care of your North-to-South riding partner. I heard you guys met up. He does seem of have a history of interesting stories and precarious situations so this may be a tall order.
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #5095
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I've had a motoz s/t on the front for the last ~1000 miles and will say that it is quite certainly the worst performing tire that I have ever run! I wanted the I/T but at the time I could not find any in stock so I thought I'd give the s/t a try. Bad highway manners is to be expected, but this thing pushes through turns as if it were a slick on every type of terrain I've had it in, sand, rock, hardpack, hardpack with loose rock on top, asphalt, etc. I have not had it in mud but can't imagine that it would suddenly hook up there! Everytime I've read peoples complaints about their tires following grooves on the highway or twitchiness, I just figure that they've never ridden with knobbies... this tire now has me complaining about the same things, every non-dot knobby I've ever run has tracked better on and offroad than the motoz s/t. The 90/100 size is nearly an inch taller than my 90/100 dunlop 745 or 90/100 michelin HP4 so I raised my forks in the clamps another 1/2" to compensate and still no dice.

There is one upside though (unless like me you have a hard time throwing away tires that still have useable tread), after 1000miles it still has nearly the same knob height as it did when new. I'll be donating this tire to my riding buddy as soon as I decide on a replacement. I have had great success with motoz x-circuit rear as well as the h/t rear and would buy either again, but none of the fronts have made me happy.

You're going to call me crazy but I run a Kenda Millville front tire on my SE and the 690 and it works very well with a MotoZ rear tire. High speed dirt roads too, over 100!
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 AM   #5096
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
You're going to call me crazy but I run a Kenda Millville front tire on my SE and the 690 and it works very well with a MotoZ rear tire. High speed dirt roads too, over 100!

Crank, Have you ever run a Pirelli XCMH on the front of the 950? I've run it on the 690, and I liked it quite a bit on dirt ( a little squirelly pitched over on pavement). Just wondering how it might hold up with the extra weight of the 950.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:11 AM   #5097
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post

Thanks for the input. I don't expect to see much mud or sand with it, so your description should ring true for me.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #5098
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,472
New problem

Im on my THIRD set of tail light lenses and left blinker lens. The screws stay put - but the rest of the plastic lens disappears. The taillight assembly is not loose at all, as I suspected it was rattling against the underside of the fender and possibly breaking/cracking. And the last 2 rides were pavement only - granted one was a high speed run to the hardware store to get there before they closed. I get it that my Leo Vince could cook the left blinker - but the rest of the assembly is not melted at all, and the screw is still in the housing. And no, I did not over tighten the screws to cause it to crack. Used blue loctite and snugged them up ever soo gently - each screw felt seated well enuf to not worry. And as I stated - each screw is still in place - just the lenses are awol.

I'll probably flush mount the blinkers, to get them out of the way of the exhaust - not sure that I can shorten the stem, but will buy flush mounts style if needed. Im thinkin of using some clear adhesive/silicone to bond the TL lens to the housing - mainly too cushion it against the housing/seal it up. But Im not sure this will be enuf.

Anyone else suffer thru this ??

Just gettting tired of shelling out $30 for replacements
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #5099
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
Anyone else suffer thru this ??

Just gettting tired of shelling out $30 for replacements
Nope, don't know what you're talking about

Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #5100
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:

Mine is doing the same thing... Some days it works fine others it comes on when the bike is at idle...

Probably the sender.
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote