Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #5101
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
New problem

Im on my THIRD set of tail light lenses and left blinker lens. The screws stay put - but the rest of the plastic lens disappears. The taillight assembly is not loose at all, as I suspected it was rattling against the underside of the fender and possibly breaking/cracking. And the last 2 rides were pavement only - granted one was a high speed run to the hardware store to get there before they closed. I get it that my Leo Vince could cook the left blinker - but the rest of the assembly is not melted at all, and the screw is still in the housing. And no, I did not over tighten the screws to cause it to crack. Used blue loctite and snugged them up ever soo gently - each screw felt seated well enuf to not worry. And as I stated - each screw is still in place - just the lenses are awol.

I'll probably flush mount the blinkers, to get them out of the way of the exhaust - not sure that I can shorten the stem, but will buy flush mounts style if needed. Im thinkin of using some clear adhesive/silicone to bond the TL lens to the housing - mainly too cushion it against the housing/seal it up. But Im not sure this will be enuf.

Anyone else suffer thru this ??

Just gettting tired of shelling out $30 for replacements
SicAssRacing flushmounts. Done.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #5102
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
That cures one problem ( I kinda planned on that response)

Still waiting for the tail light solution
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #5103
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 990
I went for the euro style tail light assembly. Got it from ktmtwins.com No license plate light though. I got it not because of the actual light but because I kept destroying my license plate from all the rocks hitting it. The euro setup is much cleaner.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #5104
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
That cures one problem ( I kinda planned on that response)

Still waiting for the tail light solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
I went for the euro style tail light assembly. Got it from ktmtwins.com No license plate light though. I got it not because of the actual light but because I kept destroying my license plate from all the rocks hitting it. The euro setup is much cleaner.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-690-SMC-...#ht_573wt_1271

I have one of these, super bright led, factory connectors & has license plate light.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #5105
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rider View Post
I can't believe how quick it got to me. It was faster than anything I've ever ordered here in the US! It looks to be a high quality skidplate. Thanks again!

I pulled the Scotts damper of my XR, and ordered everything needed to put it on the 690.

Since a stabilizer mount is next on my list (stabilizer has been waiting patiently on the workbench for a few months now) I have really been interested in the BRP/Scott's setup that you have. The only thing holding me back is that I have my fork legs slid up ~1" above the top triple clamp and from the 1 and only picture that I can find of the BRP/Scott's mounted it looks like it is not possible to have the fork legs slid up at all... does the stabilizer mount sit directly above the fork cap (preventing me from sliding the legs up), or will I be able to slide my fork legs up?
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #5106
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Highway dirtbikes are way better, I haven't been able to destroy they. I've seen the suckass signals broken though
Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #5107
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Crank, Have you ever run a Pirelli XCMH on the front of the 950? I've run it on the 690, and I liked it quite a bit on dirt ( a little squirelly pitched over on pavement). Just wondering how it might hold up with the extra weight of the 950.
No sir, been using the Millville and I like it. Actually used a track master on the front of the SE and liked it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #5108
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 739
Had a trackmaster on my 450, it was shite, but the extra weight of the 950 might be the ticket... I really wanted to like it and its price point...
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #5109
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Highway dirtbikes are way better, I haven't been able to destroy they. I've seen the suckass signals broken though
Got me some SP style from Watsen Design. Work of art and doubt I'll be breaking them any time soon.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #5110
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,968
Ran a trakmaster on the rear of my 690 and it worked great. Ran it at about 13 psi and if was like a trials tire. Lasted a while too.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #5111
CordR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Hey Seth, Uller or anyone else that has installed HDB...

I've been stuck on one thing all day with the install and the only solution I can see is that the upper bolt holes need to be drilled out 1-2 mm bigger. Problem is Paulnis such a perfectionist, I can't see him not having it right. So I've spent the last several hours thinking I'm wrong.

Pls tell me where im wrong here.

For the lower mounts, the flush side faces away from the rider. The side with the cleft (or whatever you call it) faces towards the rider.

One package has 4 bolts in it, 2 per side. The shorter one goes through the center of the lower clamp and bolts into the hole on the triple closest to the rider.

The longer bolt goes through the top clamp, through through the lower clamp and then into the hole on the triple closest to the speedo - away from the rider.

Is that correct?

If it is, then the holes in the top clamp were not big enough. The long bolts could fit through the bottom holes in the top clamp, but not the top. Putting them through the bottom holes doesn't work for the way I thought it was supposed to be set up.

Help.

C
CordR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #5112
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Hey Seth, Uller or anyone else that has installed HDB...

I've been stuck on one thing all day with the install and the only solution I can see is that the upper bolt holes need to be drilled out 1-2 mm bigger. Problem is Paulnis such a perfectionist, I can't see him not having it right. So I've spent the last several hours thinking I'm wrong.

Pls tell me where im wrong here.

For the lower mounts, the flush side faces away from the rider. The side with the cleft (or whatever you call it) faces towards the rider.

One package has 4 bolts in it, 2 per side. The shorter one goes through the center of the lower clamp and bolts into the hole on the triple closest to the rider.

The longer bolt goes through the top clamp, through through the lower clamp and then into the hole on the triple closest to the speedo - away from the rider.

Is that correct?

If it is, then the holes in the top clamp were not big enough. The long bolts could fit through the bottom holes in the top clamp, but not the top. Putting them through the bottom holes doesn't work for the way I thought it was supposed to be set up.

Help.

C
I'm happy to help but I have no clue what you're talking about Pics please.
I've installed HDB stuff on all three of my bikes and it was simple.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #5113
smoothmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Canister Spewing Black Crap

Any idea why the canister would spew black "crap"? Got a 2012 with 800 miles, just did the oil change, everything is running great. Some of this stuff gets on the frame but most on my boots and pant leg. Regardless of whether or not I should remove the canister, should it be doing this? Thanks fellas.
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #5114
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Ran a trakmaster on the rear of my 690 and it worked great. Ran it at about 13 psi and if was like a trials tire. Lasted a while too.
I run a TMII rear on about every dirty bike I have owned. Never liked the fronts, so I've stuck with the Scorp PRO
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #5115
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Since a stabilizer mount is next on my list (stabilizer has been waiting patiently on the workbench for a few months now) I have really been interested in the BRP/Scott's setup that you have. The only thing holding me back is that I have my fork legs slid up ~1" above the top triple clamp and from the 1 and only picture that I can find of the BRP/Scott's mounted it looks like it is not possible to have the fork legs slid up at all... does the stabilizer mount sit directly above the fork cap (preventing me from sliding the legs up), or will I be able to slide my fork legs up?
Hard to tell from the pics, but I think you'll be alright. It's machined out just for that purpose. You won't get much more than an inch, though.