Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #5146
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Well, it may be time to replace the valves. All 4 were out of spec to the tight side and I reshimmed at the last interval.
Miles?
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #5147
Frontwheel21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thanks guys for your comments. Here is a small update. I tried the damper today more in detail. Moving clockwise just with the base valve up to the end (25 clicks) did not help to reduce wobbling at speeds > 140 km/h (c. 90 mph).

Then I turned the highspeed valve clockwise by 180° and progressively turned the base valve as above: no positive effect.

Then I closed the highspeed valve completely (another 180°) and again turned the base valve as before. Also this did not reduce the wobble when exceeding the mentioned speed. The only effect it had was more noticeable stability during acceleration from let's say 90 to 140 km/h.

So I have to accept that this steering damper cannot make the bike "super stable" at reaching top speed. But this may also be due to my used up front tire - TKC80 with > 6300 km and clear saw-tooth knobs.

Anyway, I am sure the damper will still surprise in more offroad-oriented conditions
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #5148
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by velociraptor View Post
miles?

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #5149
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontwheel21 View Post
Thanks guys for your comments. Here is a small update. I tried the damper today more in detail. Moving clockwise just with the base valve up to the end (25 clicks) did not help to reduce wobbling at speeds > 140 km/h (c. 90 mph).

Then I turned the highspeed valve clockwise by 180° and progressively turned the base valve as above: no positive effect.

Then I closed the highspeed valve completely (another 180°) and again turned the base valve as before. Also this did not reduce the wobble when exceeding the mentioned speed. The only effect it had was more noticeable stability during acceleration from let's say 90 to 140 km/h.

So I have to accept that this steering damper cannot make the bike "super stable" at reaching top speed. But this may also be due to my used up front tire - TKC80 with > 6300 km and clear saw-tooth knobs.

Anyway, I am sure the damper will still surprise in more offroad-oriented conditions
No steeringdamper will reduce the effect of knobbies, its not what its built for. I would ditch that tire!

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #5150
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
So, since I couldn't find a decent rear rack, I had to make one. What do you think?

Looks awesome, except that I don't think that upright will support that much weight and leverage of the rotopax over rough terrain especially that far back on the bike.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #5151
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
Looks awesome, except that I don't think that upright will support that much weight and leverage of the rotopax over rough terrain especially that far back on the bike.

It does kinda look that way from this angle, especially if you were tricked into thinking I used jelly beans or marshmallows. Sorry about that...

The vertical brace for the rotopax is actually made of real steel. Angle, 2" wide across the back, 3/4" on the angle down to the horizontal. Plus the vertical part extends down in the back another 3/4" and is welded all the way around (about 7" total bead).

So, I think it'll be fine, even with a bigass cat duct taped to the top (which may end up being downright inconvenient, so I'm sticking with kittens).

Plus, kittens are easier to find when traveling.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #5152
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Bluhduh Fuelpump failure... Not really...

Que music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETNRf...tailpage#t=61s

That is what I think of the Austrian trainee that on his summer job made the wiring on my bike!

Ok, tried to start my bike the other night. No sound from the fuelpump.
I went " Nooooo...¤sigh¤..." Check fuses -all ok. Oh fxxk. Going to a navigation event this weekend. Don´t need this right now....

Today, teardown. And a mother of a cold....
Checking wiring diagram, wires and ground connections...all seem good. Oh well, off with the tank and out with the pump.
By chance put power to the pump. Working. WTF? Back with pump and off with the connector at the regulator, put power on. Working. Okaaay....

Long story short. When doing the electrics some a-hole went temporary out of wire, spliced in some that was laying around then spliced in two short bits on the end to get the right collors. At least that´s what I think. To bad the second joint was CRAP!

First joint. Notice there are two blue wires goin in.

Second joint.... Notice two orange wires commin out, spliced to two blue ones....

Fixed the wires and voila, pump`s working.

KTM must have the worst electricians and electro engineers known to man.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #5153
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
Here's a setup I used for about 2 years (Kolpin tank bolted to a Touratech rack extension for an old model LC4) which was bolted to the KTM 690 tail bag mount)

It broke the Touratech rack extension under the Kolpin mount. I think the rack extension was 4mm aluminum.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #5154
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
I am a firm believer that ANY weight set on the rear fender with such set-ups (TT, homemade, etc) is a design looking for trouble. I learned that years ago with my GS1100 rear subframe mounts on engine case.

The racks invariably break, the tank bolts on 690's are stressed enough without the added weight and amplified stress due to leverage.

I know some guys are smarter than me and certainly know about welding, etc..... .....just sayin'.

Weight should be upfront and lower down whenever possible (i.e . aftermarket fuel tank) is my rule of thumb.

My hat is off to you guys who come up with such creations.....whenever someone comes up with a good rear rack for the 690 that does not distress the tank bolts....let me know.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #5155
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I am a firm believer that ANY weight set on the rear fender with such ...

Do you ever sit down, or just stand up all the time? If you ever sit down, you better sell that 690 before disaster strikes.

I understand your point, but don't live in that level of fear. Note that I have the rally raid side racks that provide direct support to the rear foot peg supports, although at some angle.

I'll be hot testing the system above, with Wolfman bags, for a week on the CAM 1000 (see in upcoming - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736274) where I'll be riding over 1000 miles of Colorado dirt in a week. I'll let you know how it holds up.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5156
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Mine is flashing one long & three short.
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too low
Intake air temperature sensor - input signal too high
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Wiring to the sensor is either broken or the sensors gone bad due to the wiring pulling on the sensor. This happens a lot on 690's.
Quote:
Thanks Albie. My sensor has come off the bottom of my airbox once already.
I don't know if the dealer maybe left it off. One of the two screws were stripped out. Silly that it just screws into plastic.
Cheap spindly wiring on this bike too, IMO.

I should have time to go through my bike, waiting for a radiator.
A custom radiator may be in order.
Well, here is my new radiator...
This pic shows my original radiator to be pretty tweaked.
...Okay, straight forward install.

Looking over my bike I find where my dealer did my sas removal I have melted tape over my plug with a resistor in it so I don't get an error.
With a burnt/melted resistor underneath.

Do I have the wrong resistor in my plug?
Should this get hot & melt?
Could this throw my one long, three short error code?

My air sensor looks to be attached and wiring looks good...

I do not know what resistor to replace with - could someone send me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #5157
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,827
CA Cycle fuel pump, and NEW BATTERY will be here thursday for instillation this weekend. Anything funky I need to watch out for?
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #5158
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:

Do I have the wrong resistor in my plug?
Should this get hot & melt?
Could this throw my one long, three short error code?

My air sensor looks to be attached and wiring looks good...

I do not know what resistor to replace with - could someone send me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Can't tell if the resistor is correct. Should be 22K OHM 1/4 watt ( red red orange gold I think). This resistor should be able to handle the current flow without going up in smoke.

One long, three short is the code for ambient air temp sensor out of range. The sensor itself could be bad.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #5159
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
I am a firm believer that ANY weight set on the rear fender with such set-ups (TT, homemade, etc) is a design looking for trouble. I learned that years ago with my GS1100 rear subframe mounts on engine case.

The racks invariably break, the tank bolts on 690's are stressed enough without the added weight and amplified stress due to leverage.

I know some guys are smarter than me and certainly know about welding, etc..... .....just sayin'.

Weight should be upfront and lower down whenever possible (i.e . aftermarket fuel tank) is my rule of thumb.

My hat is off to you guys who come up with such creations.....whenever someone comes up with a good rear rack for the 690 that does not distress the tank bolts....let me know.
the after market tank bolts from Rally Raid are rock solid ged, with those suckers on you can hang a dead cow off the rear end no worries
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:22 PM   #5160
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
the after market tank bolts from Rally Raid are rock solid ged, with those suckers on you can hang a dead cow off the rear end no worries
The aftermarket upper bolts are good....I have them from Mudguts...

The lower plastic bushings are the second design weakness.....I am on my second set and am just not sure how long they will be good for (about 9,000kms on the second set....with KTM upgraded units that replaced originals at 3000 kms).

Mac said:
"Do you ever sit down, or just stand up all the time? If you ever sit down, you better sell that 690 before disaster strikes.

I understand your point, but don't live in that level of fear. Note that I have the rally raid side racks that provide direct support to the rear foot peg supports, although at some angle."

Mac,
Yep , I plant my bulk on the seat quite a bit, sometimes carry about 40-60 lbs in the Coyote and dry bag......did that for 8 days camping around the Grand Canyon in April.....three 690's in this pic ....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791319

I don't lose sleep over it , but simply recognize that the lack of a true subframe is a design flaw

Mac,
Have a good trip....hope your work holds up and serves you well.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote