ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #5146
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I don't lose sleep over it , but simply recognize that the lack of a true subframe is a design flaw


Of course its only a design flaw because the bike was built as a big dirtbike and then marketed as a dirtbike that could go touring.
Don't think it's a design flaw at all. Not seen KTM ever try to market it as a tourer. That's us folks here that decided it could be used for that purpose. As for the stress on the bolts, hanging a bunch of weight high and far back certainly won't help, not to mention really mess with handling; but I guess it ain't being raced so no biggie
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #5147
dirtbikeslob
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: dunedin new zealand
Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno t . View Post
i think it looks hideous and totally detracts from the lines of the bike.
+1
dirtbikeslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #5148
Maxacceleration
Awol
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 2,269
I think Mac's rack will be fine. When its loaded down with gear you will not see the arm coming up - it will actually be the 'backrest' to hold gear in place.
Packed backpacking light (-40 lbs) it may hold up.
We know how some throw the kitchen sink & everything else on...

Now some refinement with rounded corners, aluminum plate etc for a streamlined look and a few might buy something like that.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #5149
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Don't think it's a design flaw at all. Not seen KTM ever try to market it as a tourer. That's us folks here that decided it could be used for that purpose. As for the stress on the bolts, hanging a bunch of weight high and far back certainly won't help, not to mention really mess with handling; but I guess it ain't being raced so no biggie
Yea, this^

All kinds of camping crap and a fat guy make sub frame bolts go pop
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #5150
Mac
Beastly Adventurer
 
Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
is that a 2 gallon rotopax? if so I bet that setup weighs 20 lbs with full....thats a lot of weight bouncing around on a 10" lever
It's just one gallon. A gallon of gas weighs less than 7 pounds.

The rack will only be holding a Wolfman dry bag with tent, pad and sleeping bag, which weighs 12 pounds total. Including fuel, the top rack will be 22-25 pound

The Rally Raid side racks will have Wolfman bags each weighing less than 15 pounds each, likely closer to 10.

I will be packing very light, and will be riding over 1000 miles of Colorado dirt over 7 days, the first week of September, while many of you spend your time in your office chairs. I'll let you know how it holds up.
__________________
Mac
R1200GSA | 690E | 300XCW
RMAR President - Website FaceBook
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #5151
ABuck99
0.0
 
ABuck99's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Oddometer: 651



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
It's just one gallon. A gallon of gas weighs less than 7 pounds.

The rack will only be holding a Wolfman dry bag with tent, pad and sleeping bag, which weighs 12 pounds total. Including fuel, the top rack will be 22-25 pound

The Rally Raid side racks will have Wolfman bags each weighing less than 15 pounds each, likely closer to 10.

I will be packing very light, and will be riding over 1000 miles of Colorado dirt over 7 days, the first week of September, while many of you spend your time in your office chairs. I'll let you know how it holds up.
__________________
KTM: 06 KTM950S & 10 KTM450EXC
ABuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #5152
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer
 
ramjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Super F'd Up N. California
Oddometer: 2,339
2012 690R Cannister connections and removal

There are three hoses that connect to the cannister system. One goes into the cannister top from the fuel tank vent. Another, from the side of the electronic module goes into the top of the cannister also. The third comes from the throttle body intake into the bottom of the electronic module.

So if one was going to just remove the charcoal can, and plugged up the connection from the module into the top of the can and left the tank to vent elsewhere, what would be the problem? Let's assume we left the throttle vacuum line plugged into the bottom of the module also. I did this as an experiment and the bike ran quite fine. Why is it necessary to remove the module at all? I assume some have deemed it necessary. Also, bike has Akra exhaust/header and map. Here are some pics:


__________________
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." Gen. George S. Patton
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5153
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man
 
bobzilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Lost & Found again in the Great Basin
Oddometer: 929
i completely missed the rr painner racks. THAT will support the weight. if it was just the rack I doubt it woould last this trip.
using a giant loop doesnt have the same leverage as a rack does and I have not had any problems with the subframe since using the aftermarket top bolts and my own design wedges to preload the urethane bushings in the last 10k miles.

and while your in colorado I wont be in my office chair...ill be in the middle of not much nevada and utah

have a good trip
__________________
Ride the DEZ
05 FE 550 Husaberg plated
08 FE 650 Husaberg plated
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #5154
Mac
Beastly Adventurer
 
Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
i completely missed the rr painner racks. THAT will support the weight. if it was just the rack I doubt it woould last this trip.
using a giant loop doesnt have the same leverage as a rack does and I have not had any problems with the subframe since using the aftermarket top bolts and my own design wedges to preload the urethane bushings in the last 10k miles.

and while your in colorado I wont be in my office chair...ill be in the middle of not much nevada and utah

have a good trip
Fair enough. I also have a giant loop (GL), but don't like even that weight without the support. Sadly, the big GL doesn't fit well with the RR support.

I'll skirt into Utah for a few miles in a couple weeks - I'll wave.
__________________
Mac
R1200GSA | 690E | 300XCW
RMAR President - Website FaceBook
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #5155
dunefreak
Adventurer
 
dunefreak's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Henderson, NV
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
There are three hoses that connect to the cannister system. One goes into the cannister top from the fuel tank vent. Another, from the side of the electronic module goes into the top of the cannister also. The third comes from the throttle body intake into the bottom of the electronic module.

So if one was going to just remove the charcoal can, and plugged up the connection from the module into the top of the can and left the tank to vent elsewhere, what would be the problem? Let's assume we left the throttle vacuum line plugged into the bottom of the module also. I did this as an experiment and the bike ran quite fine. Why is it necessary to remove the module at all? I assume some have deemed it necessary. Also, bike has Akra exhaust/header and map. Here are some pics:

It's not a module. It's called a canister purge solenoid. Basically it's a vacuum solenoid (like a variable controlled switch) controlled by the ECM to open & allow the flow of fuel tank vapors into the engine. I think people like to eliminate it because it's just one more unneeded piece connected to the bike once everything else is removed. You could do what your saying- just plug the vacuum port and leave it plugged in so it doesn't throw any codes. That is the way I'll be doing mine when I remove my canister.
__________________
2012 KTM 690 Enduro R

dunefreak screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 05:35 PM
dunefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #5156
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer
 
ramjet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Super F'd Up N. California
Oddometer: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
It's not a module. It's called a canister purge solenoid...
. Awesome. So, I can't exactly recall the explanation but is it the fear of the canister filling with fuel or is it water in a dunk in a stream that then is blown into the engine to adverse effect?
__________________
"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." Gen. George S. Patton
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #5157
dunefreak
Adventurer
 
dunefreak's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Henderson, NV
Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
. Awesome. So, I can't exactly recall the explanation but is it the fear of the canister filling with fuel or is it water in a dunk in a stream that then is blown into the engine to adverse effect?
Not sure what you mean but either one wouldn't be good. Just be sure to plug your vacuum line on the solenoid and you'll be good.
__________________
2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
dunefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #5158
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
Anyone here that has a Vortex ECu ever noticed how touchy the throttle is without the stepper motor connected? I'm hoping to add some extra resistance to the throttle tension, anyone have any BTDT? It's really touchy when I'm riding over rough terrain, likes to buck and surge and I get arm pump trying to hold the throttle super steady.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #5159
smoothmove
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Southern California Desert
Oddometer: 18
While we're on the canister topic again, is anyone experiencing carbon/charcoal spewing from the canister? This crap ends up on my pant leg and the right side of the bike/frame. Is this normal?

BTW, Dunefreak, how pissed are you that Champion closed their doors? Seemed like you picked up your bike right before they shutdown.
__________________
2012 KTM 690 Enduro R
2006 Honda CRF250X
smoothmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #5160
DirtJack
Adventurer
 
DirtJack's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Anyone here that has a Vortex ECu ever noticed how touchy the throttle is without the stepper motor connected? I'm hoping to add some extra resistance to the throttle tension, anyone have any BTDT? It's really touchy when I'm riding over rough terrain, likes to buck and surge and I get arm pump trying to hold the throttle super steady.
I use a Kaoko throttle lock to provide a little tension on the slide. It removes all unwanted movement.
__________________
Remember, you're reading this on the Internet and it was written by a guy who can remember stuff which never happened.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2008 KTM 300 XC (plated)
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015