User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #5176
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
2012 690R Cannister connections and removal

There are three hoses that connect to the cannister system. One goes into the cannister top from the fuel tank vent. Another, from the side of the electronic module goes into the top of the cannister also. The third comes from the throttle body intake into the bottom of the electronic module.

So if one was going to just remove the charcoal can, and plugged up the connection from the module into the top of the can and left the tank to vent elsewhere, what would be the problem? Let's assume we left the throttle vacuum line plugged into the bottom of the module also. I did this as an experiment and the bike ran quite fine. Why is it necessary to remove the module at all? I assume some have deemed it necessary. Also, bike has Akra exhaust/header and map. Here are some pics:

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5177
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
i completely missed the rr painner racks. THAT will support the weight. if it was just the rack I doubt it woould last this trip.
using a giant loop doesnt have the same leverage as a rack does and I have not had any problems with the subframe since using the aftermarket top bolts and my own design wedges to preload the urethane bushings in the last 10k miles.

and while your in colorado I wont be in my office chair...ill be in the middle of not much nevada and utah

have a good trip
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #5178
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
i completely missed the rr painner racks. THAT will support the weight. if it was just the rack I doubt it woould last this trip.
using a giant loop doesnt have the same leverage as a rack does and I have not had any problems with the subframe since using the aftermarket top bolts and my own design wedges to preload the urethane bushings in the last 10k miles.

and while your in colorado I wont be in my office chair...ill be in the middle of not much nevada and utah

have a good trip
Fair enough. I also have a giant loop (GL), but don't like even that weight without the support. Sadly, the big GL doesn't fit well with the RR support.

I'll skirt into Utah for a few miles in a couple weeks - I'll wave.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #5179
dunefreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
There are three hoses that connect to the cannister system. One goes into the cannister top from the fuel tank vent. Another, from the side of the electronic module goes into the top of the cannister also. The third comes from the throttle body intake into the bottom of the electronic module.

So if one was going to just remove the charcoal can, and plugged up the connection from the module into the top of the can and left the tank to vent elsewhere, what would be the problem? Let's assume we left the throttle vacuum line plugged into the bottom of the module also. I did this as an experiment and the bike ran quite fine. Why is it necessary to remove the module at all? I assume some have deemed it necessary. Also, bike has Akra exhaust/header and map. Here are some pics:

It's not a module. It's called a canister purge solenoid. Basically it's a vacuum solenoid (like a variable controlled switch) controlled by the ECM to open & allow the flow of fuel tank vapors into the engine. I think people like to eliminate it because it's just one more unneeded piece connected to the bike once everything else is removed. You could do what your saying- just plug the vacuum port and leave it plugged in so it doesn't throw any codes. That is the way I'll be doing mine when I remove my canister.

dunefreak screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 05:35 PM
dunefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:22 PM   #5180
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
It's not a module. It's called a canister purge solenoid...
. Awesome. So, I can't exactly recall the explanation but is it the fear of the canister filling with fuel or is it water in a dunk in a stream that then is blown into the engine to adverse effect?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #5181
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
. Awesome. So, I can't exactly recall the explanation but is it the fear of the canister filling with fuel or is it water in a dunk in a stream that then is blown into the engine to adverse effect?
Not sure what you mean but either one wouldn't be good. Just be sure to plug your vacuum line on the solenoid and you'll be good.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #5182
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Anyone here that has a Vortex ECu ever noticed how touchy the throttle is without the stepper motor connected? I'm hoping to add some extra resistance to the throttle tension, anyone have any BTDT? It's really touchy when I'm riding over rough terrain, likes to buck and surge and I get arm pump trying to hold the throttle super steady.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #5183
smoothmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
While we're on the canister topic again, is anyone experiencing carbon/charcoal spewing from the canister? This crap ends up on my pant leg and the right side of the bike/frame. Is this normal?

BTW, Dunefreak, how pissed are you that Champion closed their doors? Seemed like you picked up your bike right before they shutdown.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #5184
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Anyone here that has a Vortex ECu ever noticed how touchy the throttle is without the stepper motor connected? I'm hoping to add some extra resistance to the throttle tension, anyone have any BTDT? It's really touchy when I'm riding over rough terrain, likes to buck and surge and I get arm pump trying to hold the throttle super steady.
I use a Kaoko throttle lock to provide a little tension on the slide. It removes all unwanted movement.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #5185
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmove View Post
While we're on the canister topic again, is anyone experiencing carbon/charcoal spewing from the canister? This crap ends up on my pant leg and the right side of the bike/frame. Is this normal?

BTW, Dunefreak, how pissed are you that Champion closed their doors? Seemed like you picked up your bike right before they shutdown.
Sounds like you could have fuel in your canister. Do you keep it about an inch below the neck when you fill it?

Yeah that kinda bummed me out about Champion, but it wasn't their fault. Greg, the owner, did everything he could to try and save it. I'm just glad I got the bike before they closed, otherwise I would have had to drive to UT or CA. I got a good deal so I'm happy. Carter picked up the KTM franchise so I have local support again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #5186
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Do you already have a smaller throttle cam? No big problems for me with Vortex in rough terrain and I do have a smaller cam.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #5187
smoothmove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunefreak View Post
Sounds like you could have fuel in your canister. Do you keep it about an inch below the neck when you fill it?
Wow, I bet that's it. And no, I don't keep it an inch below the neck. I fill that b-i-t-c-h up. Not anymore. Now what?... (1)canister just needs to dry out or (2) do I drain it or (3) use this as an opportunity to yank that sucker off the bike. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #5188
dunefreak
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothmove View Post
Wow, I bet that's it. And no, I don't keep it an inch below the neck. I fill that b-i-t-c-h up. Not anymore. Now what?... (1)canister just needs to dry out or (2) do I drain it or (3) use this as an opportunity to yank that sucker off the bike. Thanks for the feedback.
You can try to let it dry out, but I'd just yank it off at this point. They take a while to dry out. Sometimes they deteriorate once they become saturated. All the tank pressure that builds will keep pushing out whatever fuel that's in there. If you look at the vent whole just below the fill neck, you want to keep your fuel below that point even without the canister otherwise it will just puke out and your wasting fuel. You need to allow some space for expansion of the fuel when it warms up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #5189
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Does anyone know of a paint to use to touch up the grey on the engine cases. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 AM   #5190
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Do you already have a smaller throttle cam? No big problems for me with Vortex in rough terrain and I do have a smaller cam.
I have the 400 cam installed already, but the throttle pull is really light still.
I might try to find another spring to fit on the bell crank on the t-body.
Thanks Dirt Jack, if all else fails I'll look into the friction lock.