Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #5206
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
No offense but go ride 100 miles of single track and tell me if the map change works. Yes, it helped a little but the problem is the spring tension on the t-body
You're not going to offend me.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #5207
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I have set the map select switch to soft but have not messed with the Vortex settings. The bike just gets a little jumpy in rough sections.
yup, I keep whiskey throttling over shit
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #5208
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
I wondered where everyone who messed up their maps hung out.

Now I know.
COHVCO Director at Large - Website Facebook
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #5209
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
yup, I keep whiskey throttling over shit

It's good to know that I am not the only one doing that .
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #5210
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Now had two occasions of the FI light showing up, not blinking any pattern, but glowing solid. Only when bike is in gear. If I put it in neutral it goes away. Turned off and restarted and both times it didn't come back. Anyone know what impending doom I might be facing?
I would look at voltage levels of running system. Could be battery/voltage regulator issues.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #5211
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 789
I got a VORTEX about a month ago. I'm really happy with the result. However, for heavy off-road I bought the ultimate accessory for my 690R: a KTM 250 SX-F.

Bill the Bong screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 06:43 AM
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 AM   #5212
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Wrong thread mate!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:07 AM   #5213
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
There has not been any recent updates on the Vortex unit. Are you guys still happy with your purchase? Is it worth the money? Where are you getting the most gains? I have been looking at getting one, though my bike runs great I would like to smooth out the bottom end. Where does the handlebar selector plug into?
Vortex have very recently added an economy map for the 690 . Bike runs great with it & I average > 20km per litre . I know they are also working on a different way of fueling the bike at idle for the 690 .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #5214
wino975
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Vortex have very recently added an economy map for the 690 . Bike runs great with it & I average > 20km per litre . I know they are also working on a different way of fueling the bike at idle for the 690 .
On tarmac which consumption do you obtain with the vortex?
wino975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #5215
Jimbobshere
n00b

Oddometer: 8
FMF Power Bomb

Does anyone have any experience with the FMF Power Bomb head pipe on the 690. Wonder if there is $350 difference in performance. Supposed to make the bike quieter and a 10% improvement in?
Jimbobshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #5216
Night Crawler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmoto View Post
I have set the map select switch to soft but have not messed with the Vortex settings. The bike just gets a little jumpy in rough sections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I got a VORTEX about a month ago. I'm really happy with the result. However, for heavy off-road I bought the ultimate accessory for my 690R: a KTM 250 SX-F.
Are you guys using more than just one of the maps or just staying in the one that you find to be the best? Can the maps on the handlebar be switched without turning the ignition off and on?
Sorry about all the questions but it is a lot of dough to drop on one item!

Night Crawler screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 07:44 AM
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #5217
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbobshere View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the FMF Power Bomb head pipe on the 690. Wonder if there is $350 difference in performance. Supposed to make the bike quieter and a 10% improvement in?
I've got one on mine. The reason is that the stock header broke and it costs $250 MORE then the Power Bomb. I didn't notice any power differences and it obviously had no effect on noise.

I wil say this, the welds on the FMF were shitty and eventually one of them broke. I sent it in and they repaired it and actually went back and re-welded all the shitty welds the way they should have in the first place.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #5218
Xmoto
Death Race

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
Are you guys using more than just one of the maps or just staying in the one that you find to be the best? Can the maps on the handlebar be switched without turning the ignition off and on?
Sorry about all the questions but it is a lot of dough to drop on one item!
I leave it on setting 1 since I mostly use it off road. I haven't really touched the vortex, it came on the bike when I bought it.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #5219
al m
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi there KTMers,

I'm looking at getting an single-lung adventure bike (2nd hand) for a big ol' Central/North American ride and am currently interested in the 690 Adventure or DR650. Some might say these bikes are chalk and cheese but this is what I've narrowed it down to for my own reasons...I've come here looking for your opinions on comfort of the 690 and to ask what sort of maintenance I'd be looking at if I owned one of these things.

Can any of you kind gentlemen shed some light on these topics? Obviously I'm looking at a ton of miles so comfort is paramount but so is maintenance once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll see you on the road!
al m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #5220
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by al m View Post
Hi there KTMers,

I'm looking at getting an single-lung adventure bike (2nd hand) for a big ol' Central/North American ride and am currently interested in the 690 Adventure or DR650. Some might say these bikes are chalk and cheese but this is what I've narrowed it down to for my own reasons...I've come here looking for your opinions on comfort of the 690 and to ask what sort of maintenance I'd be looking at if I owned one of these things.

Can any of you kind gentlemen shed some light on these topics? Obviously I'm looking at a ton of miles so comfort is paramount but so is maintenance once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll see you on the road!

the 690 is FI not carbed so has the added complication of a fuel pump & computer mapping. they don't apear to like dirty fuel much either and the standard seat is woeful for anything remotely long distance. A lot of people new to FI bikes do struggle when something goes wrong as the technology can be frustrating to deal with especially out in the whop whops. Having said all that I have an 09 and have had little trouble with it apart from chains breakng which is my bad maintenance in anycase.

I have owned a DR as well (2nd hand) and can tell you the seats on those things are plain evil after 1-2 hrs. The tech on them is more familier to most people being that they are 30yrs old

The 690 needs oil changes every 5000 klm (the oil is not cheap for them either!) and valves checked every 10K but not much else. The DR will run on any old rubbish and has longer service intervals (can't recall what they are...10 yrs or something like that )

If you have it serviced by someone who knows what they are doing and dont try and outsmart the techs who designed the mapping, don't put the worst grade mongolian vinagar in it for fuel the 690 is a reliable bike.

cheers
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote