Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
NAPA: 3095
FRAM (Autozone): G3606
WIX: 33095

You will need 2 fuel injection hose clamps for 5/16 hose also. The filter will replace the quick connect and fit snugly between the airbox and the frame in the same location of the quick connect.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

If Lone Wadie rode a motorcycle, he'd be endeavoring to persevere on a KLR, no doubt
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #5237
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Thank you.
I got two clamps in the box with my NAPA filter.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5238
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by al m View Post
Hi there KTMers,

I'm looking at getting an single-lung adventure bike (2nd hand) for a big ol' Central/North American ride and am currently interested in the 690 Adventure or DR650. Some might say these bikes are chalk and cheese but this is what I've narrowed it down to for my own reasons...I've come here looking for your opinions on comfort of the 690 and to ask what sort of maintenance I'd be looking at if I owned one of these things.

Can any of you kind gentlemen shed some light on these topics? Obviously I'm looking at a ton of miles so comfort is paramount but so is maintenance once I get off the beaten track.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully I'll see you on the road!
Get a SeatConcepts seat. Just got one for my 690. Liked it better than the Renazco that was on it. I know I'll hear from the Renazco lovers, and truth be told, they ARE a good seat, but they are VERY pricey and I cannot say that the Renazco is more comfortable. I got a non slip cover for it and a local seat shop shop covered it for 35.00.
This is my 3rd seat from SeatConcepts and they were all great seats and good value.

Garrett

garrett screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:56 AM
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #5239
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett View Post
Get a SeatComfort seat. Just got one for my 690. Liked it better than the Renazco that was on it.

Garrett
Not surprising that a seat custom made for someone else didn't feel good to you. That's the whole point of getting a seat specifically designed to your specifications.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #5240
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,963
Hey, if anyone needs a Vortex ECU..... $500 shipped.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 PM   #5241
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 445
Check out this seat manufacturer. The seat looks pretty cool.

http://www.motorbikesaddles.com/KTM%...om%20Seats.htm

Also, I saw on the German Touratech website that they have a new Kohedo seat out.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #5242
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Check out this seat manufacturer. The seat looks pretty cool.
Both are using the oem seat pan. It's worthless ... And pretty expensive. I mean up untill KTM comes up with a far better seat pan.

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 10:31 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #5243
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Not surprising that a seat custom made for someone else didn't feel good to you. That's the whole point of getting a seat specifically designed to your specifications.
It wasn't that the Renazco was uncomfortable per se, it was OK. I did not like the cover at all, as I slid around on it too much. What I am impressed with is how comfortable and reasonable the seatconcepts seats are, and you don't have to wait for weeks for them. The biggest reason I got rid of the Renazco was because it didn't have a gripper cover. I have a couple buddies that have the Renazco seats and they love them, but for bang for the buck, SeatComfort are great. As I said this is my thrid.

I believe the other poster wanted to know what we were doing for comfort and thats what I did.

Garrett

garrett screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 06:55 AM Reason: spelling
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #5244
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I got two clamps in the box with my NAPA filter.
Mine didn't. Went to CarQuest and had them cross the part number. I had to use standard hose clamps to fire the bike off, but I have some crimp style ones, and some FI screw type on the way. Won't get caught without again

It's back to good though. I gotta say KTMtwins came through with some great customer service
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post

If Lone Wadie rode a motorcycle, he'd be endeavoring to persevere on a KLR, no doubt
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #5245
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Get a SeatComfort seat. Just got one for my 690. Liked it better than the Renazco that was on it. I know I'll hear from the Renazco lovers, and truth be told, they ARE a good seat, but they are VERY pricey and I cannot say that the Renazco is more comfortable. I got a non slip cover for it and a local seat shop shop covered it for 35.00.
This is my 3rd seat from SeatComfort and they were all great seats and good value.

Garrett
is that seat comfort or seat concepts the later are GREAT
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 AM   #5246
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I got 16 km/l yesterday over a 350 off-road loop using Vortex's economy map. I was the only bike that had severe range issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Crawler View Post
37 mpg's with the fuel economy map? What are you getting on the power maps?
With Vortex the power maps are not really required as everything runs pretty strong. After testing I settled for the econ map with the 10% softer initial throttle as a do everything map. I run within a bike length from a F800GS up to the 4th gear change before he leaves me. That's good enough for a single in my mind.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #5247
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Do you ever sit down, or just stand up all the time? If you ever sit down, you better sell that 690 before disaster strikes.

I understand your point, but don't live in that level of fear. Note that I have the rally raid side racks that provide direct support to the rear foot peg supports, although at some angle.

I'll be hot testing the system above, with Wolfman bags, for a week on the CAM 1000 (see in upcoming - http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736274) where I'll be riding over 1000 miles of Colorado dirt in a week. I'll let you know how it holds up.
You usually sit down where frame and gas tank are "joined" (and not at the "end" of the seat) .
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #5248
garrett
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
Dont know what I was thinking. Yes, its the SeatConcepts seat.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to edit my posts.

Garrett
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #5249
al m
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
the 690 is FI not carbed so has the added complication of a fuel pump & computer mapping. they don't apear to like dirty fuel much either and the standard seat is woeful for anything remotely long distance. A lot of people new to FI bikes do struggle when something goes wrong as the technology can be frustrating to deal with especially out in the whop whops. Having said all that I have an 09 and have had little trouble with it apart from chains breakng which is my bad maintenance in anycase.

I have owned a DR as well (2nd hand) and can tell you the seats on those things are plain evil after 1-2 hrs. The tech on them is more familier to most people being that they are 30yrs old

The 690 needs oil changes every 5000 klm (the oil is not cheap for them either!) and valves checked every 10K but not much else. The DR will run on any old rubbish and has longer service intervals (can't recall what they are...10 yrs or something like that )

If you have it serviced by someone who knows what they are doing and dont try and outsmart the techs who designed the mapping, don't put the worst grade mongolian vinagar in it for fuel the 690 is a reliable bike.

cheers
Quote:
Nice one B2..... that about sums up the seat comfort question....it's ok as long as you don't sit on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
yeah - if you only do rides that you sit down on buy a tiger 800 xc
Quote:
Nice one B2..... that about sums up the seat comfort question....it's ok as long as you don't sit on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
yeah - if you only do rides that you sit down on buy a tiger 800 xc
Quote:
Get a SeatComfort seat. Just got one for my 690. Liked it better than the Renazco that was on it. I know I'll hear from the Renazco lovers, and truth be told, they ARE a good seat, but they are VERY pricey and I cannot say that the Renazco is more comfortable. I got a non slip cover for it and a local seat shop shop covered it for 35.00.
This is my 3rd seat from SeatComfort and they were all great seats and good value.

Garrett
As usual you guys have come up with some top quality info, thanks heaps! I'll be doing 6 weeks around the US with my old man who is an upholsterer and he's already in my ear about choice of bike.. I am mainly concerned with the seat and ergos of this bike for long distance.

I'll be then riding down to Peru on this orange beast...Do you think the bike can do it? I plan to dress her in adventure clothing i.e. proper seat, screen/fairings, perhaps a larger tank and appropriate luggage system. I seem to encounter two schools of thought regarding the 690 as a long-distance adventurer, one is that its an amazing bike the other is that is a glorified dirt squirter!

I will be hitting up as much off road as possible, but I need to be realistic and consider the long, consecutive days of tarmac I'll be facing. Do you think I should just be looking at a Tiger800 as one poster suggested?

I know these are some newbie questions but I really appreciate each individuals input!
al m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #5250
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post

Look at pictures here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=10

It gives an idea of damages due do stappling. Imagine re-stappling. Better glue the Seat Concept instead.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 08-27-2012 at 10:27 AM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote