Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM   #5356
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Cranky ... I bet all your primary school teachers remember you ...

Yup, they loved me because i wasn't like all the other sheep, I mean children

Not going to argue with you. I've never had it boil over in even the deepest mud and nasty single track. When you mention an ADvrider, then I believe that the bike will over heat

Maybe beany can chime in and tell us more about his new rad?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:59 PM   #5357
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Looking to ditch the exhaust pipe heat shield, does anyone have any thoughts? I would love to do CF or even a ceramic coating but no interest in header wrap.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #5358
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Looking to ditch the exhaust pipe heat shield, does anyone have any thoughts? I would love to do CF or even a ceramic coating but no interest in header wrap.
I put on the 3 CF shields. Looks better, weighs tons less then the stock. Never feel heat on leg. Not sure if they'll get whacked in a smash and slide but we'll see. Excessively expensive.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #5359
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I put on the 3 CF shields. Looks better, weighs tons less then the stock. Never feel heat on leg. Not sure if they'll get whacked in a smash and slide but we'll see. Excessively expensive.
Yea, I just saw that I know a local guy that could probably form one for me pretty easily.

This is what I'm looking for....

Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #5360
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,280
Quote:
That's beautiful! Will they be a regular sale item soon? I need to buy a spare for baja.
I need to buy a spare cause I just keep breaking them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #5361
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Anti gravity battery on the way! 1.7 lbs Trying to decide what to construct my electronics tray out of, alum is pretty easy but maybe HDPE is a better choice? CF would be cool but I have zero experience with it.
i made my tool box out of hdpe 3/16 if i remember right.heated it with a heat gun where I wanted it bent and then put it in a break .... folded it all up and used pop rivits.... i could have welded it but was lazy. very easy to work with and i had some laying around left over from a 60" water pipe project
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #5362
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
I guess it's argue with Paul night I've ridden my 690 in the nastiest single track and it never boiled over..ever and it was geared for the 100+. What are you doing to your bike that requires a second fan?
I,ve also never had an issue with boiling, even when stuck in dunes in Morocco. I suppose we just ride faster and dont carry a kitchen sink.
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #5363
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,385
Need some advise on electrical problem...went out for a ride today did the first 1/2 hr no worries. then stopped the bike...went to restart but starter button dead? All other electrics were fine, speedo cycles perfectly. Crash started in third gear no problem, ran fine all day but still wont start?

Had a quick look for loose connections but cant find anything, could this be the infamous side stand cut out switch? How do you test for that? Can this be removed and bypassed?

any thoughts welcomed.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 AM   #5364
numbutt
john

Oddometer: 94
Reliability issues ...what issues...

Now we seem to all want new '' maps '' without creases in them and fuel pumps that can process dirt but all these issues look small ,,,,,,,,,,,,.........The boy racer in me ( no longer a boy ) thought that with the excuse of Xmas coming up i would just lift the page and glance at the BMW 1000 sports bike . YIKEs !! Just google up '' BMW S1000RR recall '' and you will realize we are not so badly off....at least we can sort out and fix our glitches,,,,,not so with this machine ... aparantly BMW didnt properly torque down the conrod caps on 1500 bikes so engines are hand- grenading. But it gets worse these and those on dealers floors are to be ''fixed '' by the dealers ...engine out split crankcase etc.... now given my and others worries about dealers real ability to peform complex tasks....say no more, say no more, just glad i am not one of the bike owners....and i think it reflects very very badly on BMW's quality control or lack there of that this was not picked up until the customers has major problems .
numbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #5365
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbutt View Post
Now we seem to all want new '' maps '' without creases in them and fuel pumps that can process dirt but all these issues look small ,,,,,,,,,,,,.........The boy racer in me ( no longer a boy ) thought that with the excuse of Xmas coming up i would just lift the page and glance at the BMW 1000 sports bike . YIKEs !! Just google up '' BMW S1000RR recall '' and you will realize we are not so badly off....at least we can sort out and fix our glitches,,,,,not so with this machine ... aparantly BMW didnt properly torque down the conrod caps on 1500 bikes so engines are hand- grenading. But it gets worse these and those on dealers floors are to be ''fixed '' by the dealers ...engine out split crankcase etc.... now given my and others worries about dealers real ability to peform complex tasks....say no more, say no more, just glad i am not one of the bike owners....and i think it reflects very very badly on BMW's quality control or lack there of that this was not picked up until the customers has major problems .
Same with the aprilla rsv4 but it was an engine swap ,
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:47 AM   #5366
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,033
Quote:
I guess it's argue with Paul night I've ridden my 690 in the nastiest single track and it never boiled over..ever and it was geared for the 100+. What are you doing to your bike that requires a second fan?
I don't know that I've ever had mine boil over, but it spends a lot of it's time running at really high temps that I doubt is good for the engine.

The following is more legal info than true mechanical info... most here know I went thru 3 engines on my 2008 E. In trouble shooting and brainstorming why with KTM NA after the first one I told them that it often ran just one or 2 bars shy of overheating. They dismissed that the first time and told me I could have confidence in riding my bike that 1 under was UNDER and I wasn't doing a thing to hurt my engine. I believe they recorded that conversation.
After the 2nd one and later at a legal hearing they tried to fault me by saying that I often ran the bike "close to" overheating and that obviously would have serious effects.
I took risks at the time in those "legal conversations" in that my goal wasn't to defend myself or actions but that accurate info would get back to the engineers and they could improve the product.

On a completely different note to both Paul and Beany (I confess I'm not near as knowledgeable as either of you mechanically) wouldn't having a higher volume radiator do a better job than a 2nd fan (or at least as good and save electrical energy)? I remember with my older cars that overheated as a kid there often was the option to go from a dual core to a three core radiator in such cars as the old camaros and Chevy Novas...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #5367
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,033
And now a really stupid radiator fan question...

Has anyone come up with a more powerful fan that fits fairly easy that's quick and easy to remove?

I've been doing lots of jungle hammoc camping off my bike and even at 4:00 am if it's sea level its around 80-85F with 90% humidity and I'd love to have a fan blowing on me without bringing an extra. (I would bring my .8 lbs turner battery that easily starts the bike though). Fans are also great here for disrupting the landing patterns of mosquitoes!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #5368
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Need some advise on electrical problem...went out for a ride today did the first 1/2 hr no worries. then stopped the bike...went to restart but starter button dead? All other electrics were fine, speedo cycles perfectly. Crash started in third gear no problem, ran fine all day but still wont start?

Had a quick look for loose connections but cant find anything, could this be the infamous side stand cut out switch? How do you test for that? Can this be removed and bypassed?

any thoughts welcomed.
If it is your side stand switch issue, the magnet on the side stand can be easily loosened and adjusted.

Mine had the wires coming out of the stator cover shorting out that would cause intermitent electrical issues. Might be worth checking?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #5369
Kirkster
Parts Murderer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Anti gravity battery on the way! 1.7 lbs Trying to decide what to construct my electronics tray out of, alum is pretty easy but maybe HDPE is a better choice? CF would be cool but I have zero experience with it.
You should just use Unobtainium... And start a build thread...
07 WR 450F
Kirkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #5370
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkster View Post
You should just use Unobtainium... And start a build thread...
How about roadkill? Easily found on most any highway, really strong and the fur would make a great insulation layer from engine heat.