Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #526
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
As pointed out, looks like a fibreglass knock off of Rally Raid products tanks down to the last piece. The rest looks horrible and a shocker that someone could so blatantly copy the RR work. No idea on backup or customer service; but I can certainly vouch for the top notch customer care provided by John & Co. from Rally Raid
There is no plastic motorcycle gas tank on earth worth $1000.

They get thier outrageous prices because they have no competition. They deserve to get their products knocked off.

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #527
Barman
Way Offline

Oddometer: 1,166
.......aaaaaaaaand we're off. ^^^

Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #528
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Flatery is useless when your fridge is empty because you can't sell your stolen invention. We are not talking about General Motors here. We're talking about very small fresh start companies: Rally Raid Products, Nomadic. and Meca Systems. It happens that I bought products from all three.

International or local copyright laws are one thing, but "casting" somebody else's idea is moraly very BAD. Just to give you an idea, The mold RRP uses may have cost anywhere between $25,000 to $50,000. Let's use $25000. He has a left mold and a right mold. He sells both tank for around $1500. Let's assume he has only $1000 of recuring fees for each tanks. He will maybe recover $500 per kits. That means that the first 100 only recover cost. He sent me another kit because the first one had problems. Starting a product involves those R&D cost too. Finaly, there are other alternatives out there, like Meca System. Here we have to realize that the World Wide market for those tanks is most probably less then 300. The risks that he never recover costs are high.

Paul Jr 8
Correct in your thinking, the moulds alone are in excess of $30000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

They get thier outrageous prices because they have no competition. They deserve to get their products knocked off.

Not going to waste my time with this idiotic comment.( obviously an expert in the subject of )
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #529
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,325
Quote:

What an ignorant statement...

If I look at the Rally Raid UK site, it is 450, or exactly $711, for TWO custom molded tanks (ever check into getting a mold made?), plus full fitting kits with various custom machined parts.

With the small volume of the 690s sold, you don't think this is a fair price?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #530
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,681
Quote:

the troll steps out from under the bridge

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #531
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
the troll steps out from under the bridge
Couldn't have summed it up better. I'm not rolling in cash, but if I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to spend my hard earned cash with Rally Raid. Just ask Fishfund about the support he got from John on matters not even related to his RR kit. Now, back to the regular program...

Both my 2010 and 2011 have this same issue - when starting up, the console flashes on and off. It settles down and retirns to normal after 5 to 10 secs. No FI codes or other problems. Does not happen every time, but fairly regularly. I've checked all the connections, and all look good. Pretty much did it from day one. Know a few have had the same issue and wondered after all this time if anyone ever found the cause?
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #532
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakrj View Post
Both my 2010 and 2011 have this same issue - when starting up, the console flashes on and off. It settles down and retirns to normal after 5 to 10 secs. No FI codes or other problems. Does not happen every time, but fairly regularly. I've checked all the connections, and all look good. Pretty much did it from day one. Know a few have had the same issue and wondered after all this time if anyone ever found the cause?
Mine does the same.

I went through the entire bike when new and refitted all grounds and applied dielectric compound to all connections. At the same time I did all of the 'ectomies/derestrictions etc... this was all done before the bike ever saw a drop of water and I got the flashing dash on startup for a second or two.

Is it maybe an indicator of stored FI codes? Incorrect feedback from the resistors installed to bypass sensors?

Whatever it is I'm not too concerned, it's running perfectly now that I've "finished" with all of the mods.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #533
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 850
Quote:

there is no competition because there is no market to speak of. How many 690 do you think have been produced? 2500? and how many need a bigger tank? 500?
I know when Boss had the clark tank made for the husabergs 2001-2008 he was into it at least $15,000 to have the tooling done. That tank fit every husaberg made from 2001-2008 and he never made a profit, he just needed the tank as did many others and clark would not do the tooling .
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #534
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbugberg View Post
I have the twin air mod on my 690 and it is wayyyyy louder than my Husaberg (similar air filter location). The sound isn't so bad on the trail, but man, on the slab, it has some resonant noise that gets pretty old...

Any ideas on how to quiet the intake a bit???
I removed it again. Couldn't stand the noise thrown directly into my face when opening up the throttle. I installed the unifilter which goes down into the airbox and I could replace the stock airbox lid again. I can live with the power and responce like it is now, but I will also admit that the Rally / Twinair mod really gave some extra grunt in the lowend.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #535
KTMSMITH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:

Nothing wrong with competition for sure. Stealing somebody's ideas isn't the same thing. It's like cutting the race course...they deserve a good beat down for it.
KTMSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 PM   #536
Dazed Productions
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by olec View Post
I removed it again. Couldn't stand the noise thrown directly into my face when opening up the throttle. I installed the unifilter which goes down into the airbox and I could replace the stock airbox lid again. I can live with the power and responce like it is now, but I will also admit that the Rally / Twinair mod really gave some extra grunt in the lowend.
Now I read this! Got a rally raid kit and oiled up filter all ready to go, hopefully the noise won't drive me nuts. Keen to keep an easy to clean filter like my RFS and a filter I can stuff in a pannier for travelling (I rotate two filters).
At the moment my newly acquired 690 is hugely quieter than my RFS, so how loud can it be? . . . .

Dazed Productions screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 03:33 PM
Dazed Productions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #537
abhibeckert
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
How many 690 do you think have been produced? 2500? and how many need a bigger tank? 500?
I dunno how many KTM has sold, but I'm sure it's a *lot* more than 2,500. I bet they've sold more than that just in Australia alone.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 PM   #538
Bofaxrunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Finally!!!

I finally received the Rally Raid headlight and fairings for my 690. I have been waiting since February. Only bummer is, I have a broken collar bone, and won't be back on the bike for at least another month. Oh well, I will hope for some nice weather in December.

Bofaxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 10:42 PM   #539
winna
n00b

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibeckert View Post
I dunno how many KTM has sold, but I'm sure it's a *lot* more than 2,500. I bet they've sold more than that just in Australia alone.

Gidday abhibeckert, think you'll find it'll be lucky to be 250 mate
winna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #540
Barman
Way Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofaxrunner View Post
I finally received the Rally Raid headlight and fairings for my 690. I have been waiting since February. Only bummer is, I have a broken collar bone, and won't be back on the bike for at least another month. Oh well, I will hope for some nice weather in December.
Don't rush it. December is a great month for wrenching.