Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #5566
mtntrails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Nippybit & Modeselector

Thanks for the kudos.

The bike resides in Las Vegas and was built to ride / tour out west. Yes, the Scotts Damper is a must for faster desert riding - particularly for Mojave riding with all of the boulders buried in the soft sand.
mtntrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #5567
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Will these tanks be exclusive for the 2012s or will it work for the previous generations as well?
They have been designed to fit all years
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #5568
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Yea, I'm with you. I've had it wag in the deep sand at 100mph but thats normal to me, part of the experience.
that and grooved pavement and it wasnt scary compared to say a 90's cr500
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #5569
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

the head shake Ive experienced it gets worse when the throttle is chopped . a trick i used on the 90's honda 5hunnys is to drag the rear brake. never figgured out the cause of the shake but i had some see Jesus moments on the big bore smokers. kawi was not as bad as the hondas

I have had it aslo on some street bikes but on the honda 500 it was life changing

my 690? nothing to even think about even on grooved pavement it wanders but no slappers

i do set my sag and use correct spring rates but run very dirt oriented tires always and usually at 17 psi and many times worn completely out...........im cheap ...what can i say?
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
Old 09-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #5570
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Just A Theory On This

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtntrails View Post
My 2010 690 Enduro has a Scotts Damper, but my 2008 690 SMC does not - and the SMC has much steeper rake / trail geometry. I have never experienced even a hint of headshake on either bike.

I just mounted a new set of tires (Metzeler Karoo T Front and Mefo Explorer Rear) on the 690 Enduro. The KTM Shop in Las Vegas who installed them is just off of the freeway. This particular freeway is grooved - man, the bike felt like it was waggin' / wanderin' around pretty good. It didn't seem to do that so much with the worn set of tires (same tires).
Maybe the new tires (with much deeper tread depth than your old ones) grab the rain groves more causing the wiggling as the tires try to follow the grooving. I have the same issue with my 2010 which also has a Scotts and relatively new tires. I ride on these highways just trying to trust the front end and tolerating the wiggling. It is annoying.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #5571
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,728
Don't ya hate it when theres an issue with a bike and all the " my bike is the greatest people " talk ya down
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #5572
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Don't ya hate it when theres an issue with a bike and all the " my bike is the greatest people " talk ya down
not so much of the "all my bike is greatest people" there B2... my bike IS the greatest and I love banana's in PJ's
Old 09-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #5573
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
not so much of the "all my bike is greatest people" there B2... my bike IS the greatest and I love banana's in PJ's
Yeah your right my bike is the greatest aswell but i do respect and if possible try and help people with an issue not call them a liar- beautiful weather here in brissy night falcon you must be lonely over there
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me
Old 09-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #5574
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Yeah your right my bike is the greatest aswell but i do respect and if possible try and help people with an issue not call them a liar- beautiful weather here in brissy night falcon you must be lonely over there
it's odd to complain about a problem and then get bitchy when you don't get the answer you want to hear...

pick one...

Tires, air pressure, sag, suspension set up, steering head bearings and in some cases....the rider
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #5575
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Hey Crankshaft, you just need to wik it up a bit when that happens. What's the worst that can happen?

I never had head shake on my 690, but on other bikes it was always badly worn or improperly inflated/balanced front knobby. Sand is always a problem because the trail measurement always goes to zip unless you keep the front light.
I trail brake in the loose stuff, it's amazing how a little bit of rear brake settles things down.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #5576
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Quote:
it's odd to complain about a problem and then get bitchy when you don't get the answer you want to hear...

pick one...

Tires, air pressure, sag, suspension set up, steering head bearings and in some cases....the rider
I think the latter is more likely the only thing i havn't checked
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #5577
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
I like the new tanks... but also like the old tanks too still. anyone want to sell me their old RR tanks if they buy the new ones?
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #5578
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Guilty, I Guess?

Quote:
My 2010 690 is not perfect and I acknowledge that. Yeah, no question, "I am trying to talk ya down"! Huh? Some try to characterize the 690 as having many problems and then try to say the bike is complete shit and don"t buy it. Their opinion. I will be the first to acknowledge certain common issues exist and I accept them. I fixed my bike so that I did not suffer various kinds of failure because of them. Some of the problems related here are one off's due to rider maintenance/abuse. Several posters here site a problem and then try to attribute it to KTM and all 690 owners. I don't buy it. Just saying!
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #5579
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Tires, air pressure, sag, suspension set up, steering head bearings and in some cases ... the rider
Size of the rider actualy AND ambient air temp ... Every tuesday night we have a riders meeting. When I go there: head shake. When I come back later at night: never. Obviously, same bike, tire, pressure et.c.

I don't mind about headshake however.

Paul Je 8
Old 09-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #5580
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
did you ever read my posts here or the ones in the blown away 690 thread????????????
I have had shit loads of problems. some my doing, some cause i try to do stuff this bike wasnt designed for and some cause KTM has some shit problems

but

this bike is the closest for doing what I like to do
and we did give the guys some suggestions as to what may cause the problems and some suggestions ar to how to ride around them
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750