ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #5581
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables
 
Gros Buck's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
did you ever read my posts here or the ones in the blown away 690 thread?????
Me don't remember ...

You gonna have to write it all over again

Paul Jr 8
__________________
KTM690r 2011
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #5582
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
Yeah your right my bike is the greatest aswell but i do respect and if possible try and help people with an issue not call them a liar-
I've asked a few questions in here...you don't always get the answers you wan't but most of us try to help if we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2 View Post
beautiful weather here in brissy night falcon you must be lonely over there
Had a great ride this morning; brilliant weather, seals on the beaches, came accross a group of classic Triumphs out for a spin, stoped to assist one rider who'd dropped their bike on a strech of gravel, got stuck in the mud [again] got helped out by some rasters and narrowly avoided being star fished on the front of a people carrier who over shot a blind corner and skidded to a halt right in front of me...the guy leaned out the window and said "man that was whooa moment" . And all that before lunch! Lifes never lonely or boring when ya own a 690 my friend
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #5583
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
They have been designed to fit all years
Awesome. I was going to order a rally kit yesterday from you guys. I'll hold out until production starts. Will there be rally kit as well as an adventure kit?

Sorry for the piece-meal questions.
__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #5584
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oddometer: 133
So the bearing in the exhaust rocker on my '11 ER bit the dust. I can't find a dealer with one in Canada & KTM say the part is on back order until OCTOBER 29th. WTF.

Anyone out there have an exhaust rocker they can sell me?
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #5585
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba
 
Bill the Bong's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Kalahari South Africa
Oddometer: 810
Head shake

Took a full year to resolve my head shake. The final cure involved substantially dropping the fork below the tripple clamp level amongst others. Half a turn more rear pre-load and I have it again. Clickers, dampers, off-set changes or tyre pressure have no effect on mine.

Have to admit that the "mine never does that" posts busted my balls as well. The fact is that all the advise is actually sound. You just have to find it within your set-up, your handle bar position, your weight and where you sit on it (which is like the only real variables). I have a hunch that if you would ride Nippybit's bike (by way of example) you might actually get headshake as well.

I took my tools and a mx stand and set up under a tree next to a corrugated dirt road with 2 turning humps that was guarenteed to make the bike unstable. Spend an entire day before I had a break-through.
__________________
KTM 690 R - "Its just a little crush..."
Bill the Bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #5586
blakrj
Need to ride
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cloggland via Borneo, TX, UK, Oz and S.Africa
Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Took a full year to resolve my head shake. The final cure involved substantially dropping the fork below the tripple clamp level amongst others. Half a turn more rear pre-load and I have it again. Clickers, dampers, off-set changes or tyre pressure have no effect on mine.

Have to admit that the "mine never does that" posts busted my balls as well. The fact is that all the advise is actually sound. You just have to find it within your set-up, your handle bar position, your weight and where you sit on it (which is like the only real variables). I have a hunch that if you would ride Nippybit's bike (by way of example) you might actually get headshake as well.

I took my tools and a mx stand and set up under a tree next to a corrugated dirt road with 2 turning humps that was guarenteed to make the bike unstable. Spend an entire day before I had a break-through.
Agreed. There are many subtle things that influence the characteristics for each rider. I have been very lucky with both my stock 2010 and the 2011 fitted with the RR kit. Neither have suffered heads have at all. 100kmh is soft sand and hard pack gravel were fine. 160kmh on the highway and no problem. Does the engine vibrate, yes. Changing my rear spring improved handling considerably. Also consider the tyre and tubes you are using. Perhaps one way to eliminate a potential source is to start with a balanced wheel.

Have I had other issues, yes. Both my bike have a flashing cluster. Others don't have the problem. I can hardly bitch when someone says 'never seen that, my bike has never suffered from that'. Seen first hand 2 others on same bike that never had the problem. Despite all the other niggling problems I've had, I still enjoy this bike and wouldn't trade it for any other. When it finally dies for good one day, I might just mount it above the fireplace, like some keep ashes of loved ones in an urn on the mantelpiece. Till then, I'll keep on riding it and taking care of all those little problems. Besides, a day in the garage working on my bike is still better than being stuck behind a screen in the office any day.
__________________
2011 KTM 690 Enduro R, 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R (stolen)
2008 Yamaha YZ450, 2002 Yamaha YZ426
www.bruneibikers.com
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #5587
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,814
Headshake- I don't find it makes me uncomfortable in the least. Did a 60 or so mile run on the pavement awhile back loaded with gear to a campout. KLR rider behind me said WTF! but to be honest I don't get anxious when it happens, and it's never "out of control" just oscilates for 10-15 seconds and settles back in. The bike just feels nervous at times. I've become accostomed to it and just ride through it.
I chalk it up to full knobs, 12 or so pounds of gear on the rear, me sliding back on the wider part of the seat, piss poor road conditions, etc..
Oddly enough it never seems to do it on dirt roads at any speed, or any condition. Could it be that the bike doesn't have enough traction on the dirt to actually build the rhythm needed?
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:25 AM   #5588
tdreyer
KTiM
 
tdreyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Used to live in Crestview FL, now ????
Oddometer: 498
Does the 690 of any or all the years have a flash to pass trigger on the light/horn control? Not just a witch to turn on high beam but a little trigger that can quickly flash high beam then return. I remember going to a KTM ride day where I rode all the bikes and they had that feature but I can't remember if the 690 did or not.

If it does, how hard does anyone think it would be to wire it to a '04 625 SXC that is road legal. I'm sure it is not plug and play but... Maybe some one could follow the switch to the plug and snap a pic,
__________________
~Tim

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #5589
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Does the 690 of any or all the years have a flash to pass trigger on the light/horn control? Not just a witch to turn on high beam but a little trigger that can quickly flash high beam then return. I remember going to a KTM ride day where I rode all the bikes and they had that feature but I can't remember if the 690 did or not.

If it does, how hard does anyone think it would be to wire it to a '04 625 SXC that is road legal. I'm sure it is not plug and play but... Maybe some one could follow the switch to the plug and snap a pic,
My '08E does dunno about moving it to the SXC but it shouldn't be rocket surgery
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #5590
Noyah
poser
 
Noyah's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Oddometer: 394
Picked up my bike from service (15000km) and now the clutch is acting up. The mechanic says It's the clutch I want to say bad/wrong oil.

When I chech the oil window It's more then max, normally sits at half after my previous services.

Something is strange here :(

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
__________________
KTM 690 Enduro R

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #5591
nippybit
Nippybit
 
nippybit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Oddometer: 92
Headshake--Final Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Headshake- I don't find it makes me uncomfortable in the least. Did a 60 or so mile run on the pavement awhile back loaded with gear to a campout. KLR rider behind me said WTF! but to be honest I don't get anxious when it happens, and it's never "out of control" just oscilates for 10-15 seconds and settles back in. The bike just feels nervous at times. I've become accostomed to it and just ride through it.
I chalk it up to full knobs, 12 or so pounds of gear on the rear, me sliding back on the wider part of the seat, piss poor road conditions, etc..
Oddly enough it never seems to do it on dirt roads at any speed, or any condition. Could it be that the bike doesn't have enough traction on the dirt to actually build the rhythm needed?
When I commented earlier saying that I have never had headshake on my bike I was referring to the kind of headshake I remember that scared the crap out of me. In other words, a "tank slapper" where you think you are going to meet your maker. I have said here before that my bike wanders on the highway which I am reasonably sure relates to pavement grooving, knobby tires, and all of the things said very well above by Buzztail and others. Definitionally I am not calling this headshake. The wandering is never scary to me, I accept it and correct for it. I have seen the Isle of Mann TT on TV many times and it is interesting to see close up shots of the bikes under power going over small rises in the road, getting airborne, and shaking their heads. I think Pantah explained this phenomenon before. The bike is under power and then momentarily it is airborne and it appears as though the condition causes a shock (kind of like chopping the throttle) that travels through the frame from the driving wheel (which in this case, along with the front wheel) is no longer in contact with the road and when it reaches the front it wags the front end. Pantah said this much more eloquently.
__________________
2010 KTM 690 R (sold 12/11/12)
Previous bikes (way too many to list here and what's the point)
Been riding mostly off-road since 1960--began at age 14.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 AM   #5592
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,814
Well put nippybit. Never have I seen anything like a tank slapper on this bike. Just kind of wags itself down the road
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #5593
tdreyer
KTiM
 
tdreyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Used to live in Crestview FL, now ????
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
My '08E does dunno about moving it to the SXC but it shouldn't be rocket surgery
Hey buzztail, thanks. Maybe if your at the trot or over this way with the PAR group one day I'll get to take a peak. I have only ridden with a group up in BW once as married life has prevented me, but that has all changed now.
__________________
~Tim

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #5594
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK
 
Buzztail's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: BUZZTOPIA
Oddometer: 10,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdreyer View Post
Hey buzztail, thanks. Maybe if your at the trot or over this way with the PAR group one day I'll get to take a peak. I have only ridden with a group up in BW once as married life has prevented me, but that has all changed now.
Tim, I'll be at the trot unless I'm traveling on bidness. Haven't missed one yet
__________________
When there is no way out - Find a way further in.
DL650 DR350 MMS Edition KDX Past bikes ...and an airhead vvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #5595
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega
 
The Letter J's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Oddometer: 738
linkage bearings

While I had my shock off a couple days ago I found that every single linkage bearing had excessive play in it, I was hoping it would be just one or two of them. Surprisingly both shock bearings are still nice and snug. For those that have replaced their rear suspension linkage bearings, did you use OEM (~$200 just for bearings/seals, no sleeves or hardware) or have you found a source for a kit?
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014