Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #5656
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,232
Got the head off and the old valves out. Was pretty easy, don't have to drop the motor to do it. I have to stop because the stupid valve "kit" didn't come with the damn collets. So now I have to wait a week for $12 worth of parts before I can put it all back together.

The valves really didn't need to be replaced, they're still within spec but the kit was cheap ($200) so what the hell. The valve guides are fine as well. Gonna get the head bead blasted then install the new valves.

Here's a pic of the head, bunch of carbon build up. Not as bad as my VStrom that I had to replace a con rod and valve seals on last month, but still a ton of crap on there.

The valves were in spec and really only needed some cleaning, especially the exhausts.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #5657
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Woody's is legendary to be sure and expense doesn't concern me but might be overkill for me. And TCR rims is well known too (I believe they do many for Pro Baja racers). But I'm looking for recommendation on the rim and construction themselves.
I think Woody's stuff is more hype than anything. KTM factory wheels are not blinged out and "superlaced" and they last a long time. The only thing superlaced is the kool aide
Old 09-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #5658
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Got the head off and the old valves out.

Just curious..... why did you feel the need to do this. Did something happen?
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #5659
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Just curious..... why did you feel the need to do this. Did something happen?
All 4 valves were all below the tight spec when I checked a couple weeks ago. I had set all 4 in the middle range the last interval. Seemed like a drastic change in only 6K miles. That and I've pretty much flogged the ever loving shit out of the motor. Spends most of it's time up near redline.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #5660
Hosebag
Difficult but Useful

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
My first 690 had the Q4 and the one I am on now has a LV. The FMF Q4 is quieter. We recently welded a turndown on the quiet insert and they are now comparable.

The FMF Q4 is quite. It was developed to meet the 96db US Forest Service mandate. I don't think the Akro or Wings would pass that scrutiny. I could be wrong though.
My Wings setup is reasonably quiet unless I'm revving the sh*t out of it, but it works quite well with the quieter of the spud/spark arresters in.

Opinions on the loudness of one system versus others may hinge on things as simple as their current state of packing.
After two full seasons on the 690, mine's ready for a repack.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 AM   #5661
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosebag View Post
I've had a couple of FMF's on different bikes as do/have my buddies and the consensus is that they're just too loud.

Thumbs up to Akro or Wings (which I'm running on my 690)

The Q4 is almost quieter than stock. It has tested around 89dB on every single ride I have used it on.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Husaberg tank for sale: HERE
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #5662
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The Q4 is almost quieter than stock. It has tested around 89dB on every single ride I have used it on.
The Q4 is quieter then the stock can that came on my KX450.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:57 PM   #5663
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
I was wondering if anybody has feedback on some of the KTM-branded Thor enduro jackets.

I posted here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829070
I may get a better response in this thread, though.
Thanks.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #5664
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Remus No Repacking Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosebag View Post
My Wings setup is reasonably quiet unless I'm revving the sh*t out of it, but it works quite well with the quieter of the spud/spark arresters in.

Opinions on the loudness of one system versus others may hinge on things as simple as their current state of packing.
After two full seasons on the 690, mine's ready for a repack.
No repacking required. Had one on my 05' GS 1200 for four years and packing was still good. Same result on my 2010 690. Another reason to think about Remus.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #5665
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 1,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I was wondering if anybody has feedback on some of the KTM-branded Thor enduro jackets.

I posted here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829070
I may get a better response in this thread, though.
Thanks.
Zips are crap other wise ok you'll find a better jacket with research and made in Thailand
Mudguts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 PM   #5666
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
No repacking required. Had one on my 05' GS 1200 for four years and packing was still good. Same result on my 2010 690. Another reason to think about Remus.
got any pics of it Nippybit?
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 AM   #5667
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Got the head off and the old valves out. Was pretty easy, don't have to drop the motor to do it. I have to stop because the stupid valve "kit" didn't come with the damn collets. So now I have to wait a week for $12 worth of parts before I can put it all back together.

The valves really didn't need to be replaced, they're still within spec but the kit was cheap ($200) so what the hell. The valve guides are fine as well. Gonna get the head bead blasted then install the new valves.

Here's a pic of the head, bunch of carbon build up. Not as bad as my VStrom that I had to replace a con rod and valve seals on last month, but still a ton of crap on there.

The valves were in spec and really only needed some cleaning, especially the exhausts.

Why would you need to replace the collets ? They`re not something that usually wears out .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:37 AM   #5668
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Installing LED turn signals

I broke the stockers off the rear so I'm replacing. Can somebody tell me where I'm supposed to install the relay http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...signal_flasher that controls the speed of the LED blinkers? The dang thing didn't come with instructions.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #5669
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I broke the stockers off the rear so I'm replacing. Can somebody tell me where I'm supposed to install the relay http://sicassracing.com/store/produc...signal_flasher that controls the speed of the LED blinkers? The dang thing didn't come with instructions.
If you are doing only rear led you may not need flasher relay, I believe it only comes into play if you are going with four led indicators (replacing front as well?)

However, relay installs behind headlamp, in the nest of wires is plug that will fit. Seems like it is a bit right of center but been a while since I've been back there.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #5670
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 925
led flasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
I installed rear LED turn singles and did not have to replace the relay but they do flash a bit quicker. Not till you install the front ones do you have to install it ( or at least on my 08) As for the relay I can only tell you in is behind the headlight (while sitting on the bike) bottom left hand side between the forks. Just plugs in and away you go.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote