Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #5701
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Velcro & Dust Rags

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Nippy,
You need to see someone about those retentive traits....or find something else to do that has nothing to do with Velcro and a dust rag

Uncle Jed, I thought you were a marriage counselor, not a Psychologist, but I could be wrong.
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #5702
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
DSCN0338

Commercial grade Velcro. Just a bit cheaper than those aftermarket case protectors and, when it starts to degrade, just peel it off and put some more on. Does it work, well I have Alpinestar Tech 8 boots and it holds up very well and does protect the cases from scuffing.
I'm less worried about scuffing, but have had my brake lever puncture a hole in the cover. Not sure Velcro would have done much to prevent that.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #5703
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Uncle Jed, I thought you were a marriage counselor, not a Psychologist, but I could be wrong.
Well......I try to offer my help to those who present with a variety of "issues".

Your tidy shop is just what mine looks like under 20 years of crap build-up....so I am a bit envious . It is just evidence that you have WAY too much time on your hands ....or spend a lot of time in the garage ducking your wife's glare....

Your sign indicating submission to your wife's mood is one that hangs over more than just your head....but, if you came by we could talk a bit more about that

As for velcro....I remember my BMW rally days where the wake-up call was the sound of velcro tent openings and luggage bags clicking open or shut.

We all like to baby our rides in our own way....thanks for sharing yours

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #5704
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Time to update Seth's list ... That we haven't seen for a while now ...

Paul Jr
I had a list?

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 PM   #5705
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,679
looks like you got the hang of it mate! Well done young fella!!

Quote:

Closer view of the Remus Titan Hexacone slip-on and the Euro turn signal.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:15 AM   #5706
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
I had a list?
yea, the list.....

The list of guns that got dropped during the invasion of France in WWII
Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #5707
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
So they are chatting about this in Orange Crush, but since I did it to my 690... i'll sort of repost

The discussion is about the OutEx tubeless conversion kit. I'll let you look up the details on the kit. But so far I'm pleased. Though I just finished the work the other day and have very limited miles on the kit so I can't speak to it's long term durability. But so far it's not leaked at all.

Since I take my 690 to the track, I wanted to dump the dead weight of the tubes. These numbers are from 17" wheels on a 690 (160 rear)

Net weight change by converting from the radial tubes to tubeless.
Front Wheel: -19.85 Oz.
Rear Wheel: -22.9 Oz.
- This is just the difference between weight of tube and OutEx sealing materials & valve. More than a pound from the front and almost a pound and a half lost for the rear.

Next measure was swapping from a 'Stealth' sprocket to an all AL one

Totals so far are:
Front Wheel Assembly: -19.85 Oz.
Rear Wheel Assembly: -36.6 Oz.

And a trie swap - Previous Pirelli Diablo 2, new Dunlop Q2 same sizes
Front wheel w/ tire: -11.25 Oz
Rear wheel w/tire: -46.5 Oz
- The Pirellis were lighter up front, but heavier in the rear.

Got an lighter front rotor on back order that should be good for about 16 Oz more off. Dropping near 3 pounds from the rear is nothing to sneeze at. Definitely has changed the response to the throttle
Old 09-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #5708
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
690 Wheel Swap

Stock front on the 2012 690 is 1.85 but available Excels or STX DID are 1.60. Anyone care to chime in on what difference in handling might be?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #5709
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Stock front on the 2012 690 is 1.85 but available Excels or STX DID are 1.60. Anyone care to chime in on what difference in handling might be?
a narrower rim will balloon the tire more. The benefit of this is you have more tread to spread across the ground with lower pressures. The drawback to the narrow rims is that you will find running a bib mousse to be just about impossible. Also not as good on the highway. Check out the raid wheels too...nice rims, good price etc.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #5710
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
I am running mousses in a 1.6" Excel rim, in fact that is the size that pretty much every rally bike I have seen uses? They are a pain to fit either way, though...

I'd say 1.6" for sure if you are riding mostly off road. They put a 1.85" on there as a compromise because it's a dual sport, just like they come with TKC80 (or at least they did).

Seth by raid wheels you mean RAD Mfg?
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #5711
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
a narrower rim will balloon the tire more. The benefit of this is you have more tread to spread across the ground with lower pressures. The drawback to the narrow rims is that you will find running a bib mousse to be just about impossible. Also not as good on the highway. Check out the raid wheels too...nice rims, good price etc.
Thanks, Seth. Hate to lose that high speed comfort on the highway. Are you running different rims on yours? Also, I was able to run the extra heavy tube on the XR650 with the 21" front Excel no problem.

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #5712
nippybit
Nippybit

You Are Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Well......I try to offer my help to those who present with a variety of "issues".

Your tidy shop is just what mine looks like under 20 years of crap build-up....so I am a bit envious . It is just evidence that you have WAY too much time on your hands ....or spend a lot of time in the garage ducking your wife's glare....

Your sign indicating submission to your wife's mood is one that hangs over more than just your head....but, if you came by we could talk a bit more about that

As for velcro....I remember my BMW rally days where the wake-up call was the sound of velcro tent openings and luggage bags clicking open or shut.

We all like to baby our rides in our own way....thanks for sharing yours

Ged, the sign actually came from an RN friend/co-worker of my wife. She was going to throw it away and my wife rescued it. I thought it was so good that I hung it over the garage door rather than pitch it. My wife is also an RN and is extremely understanding of my motorhead ways, allowing me to have a muscle car (nicely modified) and the 690. You are also right about having too much time. I am now semi-retired and teach part time. It allows me to further indulge my hobbies.

I probably overdid it on the photos but I have been posting for a long time without individual pics and just links to pics. I kid all of my riding buddies about the "Velcro thing" telling them that every problem on KTM's can be fixed with commercial grade Velcro. As a young man I was heavily influenced by the TV show "McGuyver".

Cheers,
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #5713
nippybit
Nippybit

Thank You Sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
looks like you got the hang of it mate! Well done young fella!!
A lot easier than I thought it would be. Still learning!

Cheers,
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #5714
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
LYNX pics

...are available on their website! www.brittaniacomposites.com

Other than the unofficial look on my face, I still have not registered for "smugmug", so no pics but in all honesty my 690 looks like theirs, and yours, and his. But not hers.

Lighting

Awesome. Incredible. Functional. HID low beam and Halo high. As reviewed by many already, the HID low is splendid, and great bang for the buck I think. That "low" beam is the do it all. No shadows, ride at night with confidence for the average guy like myself. At 120 kph down the gravel road, the road surface is shadow free, ditches are lit up and every fox, cat, skunk that I seen on my trip two nights ago, I guarantee would not have been noticed before with stock lighting. Impressed, and will be riding lots more now at night, as once the kids are in bed that's where my free time lies is seems...

Windscreen

Never had one? I wanted one and I really like the look and feel so far. Frosty fog was out on my commute to work yesterday morning, I had the windscreen low and my facesheild was instantly frosted up. Put the windscreen on high, opened my helmuts face sheild and rode with a smiling face to work comfortably with no face protection other than the screen. CANNOT wait to go for another 2000 km trip down the loging roads, and offroads of Northwestern Ontario with this kit. Looking forward to trying in the rain, if it doesn't snow first...
Pleased am I.

Install

Like everyone, I read the instructions and then "did my best" Instructions were very good, I did plug the ballast in backwards, emailed for help and got a quick response from Brittania. They built it, and are very proud of it as they should be. The install was clean, took me a bit with some casual household interruptions. But to do it again it would take a third of the time. Simple, just not having done it before you get distracted looking at everything, or I did.

Looks

It was almost worth it just to have a kick ass frontpeice now. Transforms the bike, really does. I have know doubts, or regrets on this. Like the Corbin, the racks, and the Luggage cases I adapted this is a must have. Price is was good, and being Canadian I'm happy to have someone north of the border create a kit like this for me to support! Well done Brittania!

All is all, I'm happy and you should be too! Consider the Lynx folks, it is WORTHY!!

Ride Safe, Ride Often!!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #5715
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Random...

Do your cases look like this? I had the valve cover off last night, and must have not had the gasket seated properly, so I had oil all over the bike when I got to work this morning.

Looked around, cleaned things up, and noticed this relief/hole in the seam between the cases and the cylinder... I don't think there is oil coming OUT of this spot, but there must have been some oil from the valve cover get into this area, and then dribble back out...

The oil was CERTAINLY coming from the valve cover, and I haven't noticed oil before this at all...

It almost looks factory, but one never knows...

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 08:35 AM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote