NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #5777
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olleg View Post
Thanks!
How about handling, did you notice difference between them (safari vs rally raid)?
Comparing to the stock, is it a big difference?
RR is 9 liters I think while Safari is 12 iirc. thats about 15 lbs vs 22 lbs (fuel weight) pluss a few more for the weight of the tanks and hardware. i did not notice a lot of handling difference between the two ore even over stock. The safari tank makes its presence known as it is a bit wider where the RR's feel a little more stream lined.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #5778
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
RR is 9 liters I think while Safari is 12 iirc. thats about 15 lbs vs 22 lbs (fuel weight) pluss a few more for the weight of the tanks and hardware. i did not notice a lot of handling difference between the two ore even over stock. The safari tank makes its presence known as it is a bit wider where the RR's feel a little more stream lined.
Splitting hairs... The existing RR tanks are morel like 9.5l. Go with the new RR tanks. it will be worth the wait. I got to sit on the prototype and it is noticeably narrower then the originals because it doesn't use the side covers. Also, i hear they hold more fuel then the originals.

When they are empty, i find the RR tanks don't add noticeable weight.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #5779
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
Go with the new RR tanks. it will be worth the wait.
Are those the ones that are currently on their web-site and have an availability in 4-6 weeks?
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #5780
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Did you use an EXC front sprocket? They fit over the countershaft splines but are narrower which could take pressure off the seal? Next guess would be that your chain is just too tight? How many miles are on the bike? It may just be time to replace the seal anyway, they are cheap and easy to change anyway.
When mine started leaking it just needed the $1 o-ring behind the sprocket spacer replaced, the seal itself is only ~$7.

Riders,
Aftermarket sprockets that are not KTM-specific will often set up a leak for a few reasons:
1) The backside of the aftermarket sprocket ( which is the point of contact on the spacer collar) does not have an "extruded collar" (for lack of a better description) that puts pressure on the spacer and subsequently the o-ring, thus not making a seal at the o-ring point of contact;
2) The seal is leaking and might require a replacement....;
3) the sprocket doesn't have to make contact with the seal....just the metal collar that holds the o-ring;
4) You are not supposed to re-use the cupped washer, as one use renders it flatter and less efficient in that pressure function on the spacer and o-ring (if you must use a used cupped washer, place it over a large socket, place another smaller socket against the washer and give it a couple or more whacks so as to "re-cup" the washer.

I learned all this on my 450 EXC.....and suspect it is true for the 690 countershaft setup.

If I am mistaken, I am sure one of you kind souls will make the mistake evident

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #5781
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Really? I did, especially in the woods. The front end felt heavier when turning in but it's acceptable for a long distance bike.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #5782
Hooked
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hard starting when sitting awhile

I don't know where to turn to figure the hard starting on my 08. If I take it to the dealer they will charge me $100 plus an hour to tell me they can't find a problem. I have read of this problem but have not found what the cure is. With 21K Kms it should still have lots of life left. Any help from the group? It doesn't happen all the time but often enough it starting to concern me.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #5783
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Are those the ones that are currently on their web-site and have an availability in 4-6 weeks?
Not too sure on reliable delivery date with RR but I'm hoping they take the time to really get the fitment and installation documentation right. Looks promising.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #5784
Beer'o'clock Baz
?

Oddometer: 1,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riders,
Aftermarket sprockets that are not KTM-specific will often set up a leak for a few reasons:
1) The backside of the aftermarket sprocket ( which is the point of contact on the spacer collar) does not have an "extruded collar" (for lack of a better description) that puts pressure on the spacer and subsequently the o-ring, thus not making a seal at the o-ring point of contact;
3) the sprocket doesn't have to make contact with the seal....just the metal collar that holds the o-ring;
4) You are not supposed to re-use the cupped washer, as one use renders it flatter and less efficient in that pressure function on the spacer and o-ring (if you must use a used cupped washer, place it over a large socket, place another smaller socket against the washer and give it a couple or more whacks so as to "re-cup" the washer.

I learned all this on my 450 EXC.....and suspect it is true for the 690 countershaft setup.

Hey mate
- mine was # 1 on your list I grabbed the old sprocket outa the bin and the new one is a couple mm thinner :-{
I have been getting told lately "NOTHING" to my questions about space and vacuum, I feel I need funding for a project that could have a Noble prize involved. Space is not nothing 84% is dark matter "dark matter seems to be the scientific word for nothing" I have three experiments that need to be conducted. If any millionaires out there would like to fund my projects and riding career please pm me

Beer'o'clock Baz screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 01:55 AM
Beer'o'clock Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #5785
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Yeah whatever, carry on, I've never raced a 690 and know nothing about them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH by the way you have to change the oil pressure rgeultor in the back of the engine for a temp regulator plus add the pipes, I prefer the more robust cooler from the 690rr mounted behind the fairing. I personally dont bother with an oil cooler any more because i change the oil after every 10 hours of racing like on the Tuareg and Maroc rallies, the 690 holds more than enough oil for a days racing.

If you want a cheap kit then I've got one in my scrap pile of stuff that was no good for racing.
That's not what I mean. My point is I wasn't going to mount it in the location KTM want's it mounted. I realize it will probably need custom oil lines. My initial question is more about how it plumbs into the oil system on the bike.

If possible I would like to mount it underneath a baja designs 8 inch round headlight, or some close facsimile there of.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #5786
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
That's not what I mean. My point is I wasn't going to mount it in the location KTM want's it mounted. I realize it will probably need custom oil lines. My initial question is more about how it plumbs into the oil system on the bike.

If possible I would like to mount it underneath a baja designs 8 inch round headlight, or some close facsimile there of.
Take a look at page 63 of the RR spare parts manual here. Shows where it plumbs in. The KTM lines and cooler are not cheap if you go this route.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #5787
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Really? I did, especially in the woods. The front end felt heavier when turning in but it's acceptable for a long distance bike.

I have not ridden the bike too much in the woods since I put the tanks on. I did notice the weight of the full Safari tank in the woods but I didn't feel it was a major hinderence to handling. It has been quite a while since I have ridden the bike without any tanks on the front so i might notice a difference with them off.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #5788
nippybit
Nippybit

Oddometer: 92
Excellent Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Riders,

This is good info for all of us. BTW I have a KTM 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and, when fitting it, I noticed that the 15 tooth OEM sprocket has (I am guessing medium durometer) rubber washer type shock absorbers glued on to both sides. I think this may have been commented on somewhere before. My 14 tooth KTM c/s did not have these but seems to be working just fine and keeping the oil in. Hence, it apparently has the aforementioned extruded collar.

On another subject, could you please re-post those gruesome photos of your broken leg bone and scar. As I recall, one is a photo the hideous scar and the other of the X-Ray showing the break. I have some very annoying small children in the neighborhood and I want to print these and put them on our front door in order to scare the begesus out of them on Halloween.

Cheers,
Watch this space as I am about to say something really prophetic!
nippybit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #5789
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippybit View Post
This is good info for all of us. BTW I have a KTM 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and, when fitting it, I noticed that the 15 tooth OEM sprocket has (I am guessing medium durometer) rubber washer type shock absorbers glued on to both sides. I think this may have been commented on somewhere before. My 14 tooth KTM c/s did not have these but seems to be working just fine and keeping the oil in. Hence, it apparently has the aforementioned extruded collar.

On another subject, could you please re-post those gruesome photos of your broken leg bone and scar. As I recall, one is a photo the hideous scar and the other of the X-Ray showing the break. I have some very annoying small children in the neighborhood and I want to print these and put them on our front door in order to scare the begesus out of them on Halloween.

Cheers,
NB,
As you well know, installation of countershaft sprockets can be done easily using only commercial grade Velcro. No need for torque specs, o-rings or cupped washers.....and certainly no need for that cute rubber (latex???) skirt that the KTM unit wears....minimal function, I am sure.

As for the request..... :

I assured the doctor that I only needed Velcro instead of all that fancy schmancy titanium and stuff....he just rolled his eyes .....

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #5790
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
... I did notice the weight of the full Safari tank in the woods but I didn't feel it was a major hinderence to handling. It .
Same here with the Rally Raid.

Paul Jr 8