Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #5821
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Frankly, having owned both I can say with certainty: the 650L is 30 year old technology and rides like it. The 690 is 5 year old technology.

3x the power (I'm not exaggerating) slightly less weight, better suspension, better brakes, what's not to like?
Dealer tried to push me towards the 500exc but the 690 seems more my style. 3x the power? I'd be happy with 2x.... I enjoyed the Honda but love FI and really want a modern bike with a good suspension. I do 50/50 road/dirt and I'd be afraid the EXC would take a beating on the pavement.
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #5822
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoonalt View Post
Dealer tried to push me towards the 500exc but the 690 seems more my style. 3x the power? I'd be happy with 2x.... I enjoyed the Honda but love FI and really want a modern bike with a good suspension. I do 50/50 road/dirt and I'd be afraid the EXC would take a beating on the pavement.
Really sounds like the 690 is your ride. I have thought of selling my 690 and getting a 500 but I never do it because the 690 is suited for pavement much better than the 500 and the service intervals are a lot less for the 690 compared to the 500. The 500 would be better on tight trails or more challenging off road terrain but that's about it.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #5823
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Agreed. 2012 KTM 690 Enduro R- everything I wish my XR650R was. (modified to my specs, of course)

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum

(Are you understanding now!?)
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #5824
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I ordered a YZ 450 throttle body today to see if the MAP, TPS sensor and the injector are the same as the 690. You can actually buy everything separately through Yamaha instead of having to buy the entire KTM t-body. The injector is $129 and the MAP sensor is $109, forgot to ask about the TPS. I'll let you tinkerers know what happens......
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #5825
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
M-12 front and what ever is cheap in the back
enjoy for 500 miles and replace
its a dirt bike it aint supposed to get milage
I got 2 dirtbikes for that A 520EXC(plated) and a 250EXC smoker

The 690 is my streetbike

After I posted this, I read a thread about some dude havin issues with the 606. So's I is goin with the MT21, maybe a Mefo - the 908RR is too pricey for a 2 tire a season bike

With 3 offroad bikes, I change tires A LOT. Would like one bike I dont have to mess with all that much. RMATV has the MT 21 for 89.99 - probably the most reasonable tire Id find to do what I want

But thanx Bob - always nice to see the light
wiswoodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #5826
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Stalling after Service

Any suggestions guys?

Took my 2010 KTM 690 Rto a non-KTM (but Local) dealer to do my 15,000 km service. Reason being just not enough time it seems, and I was 2,000 km late already.
Was not worried about anything mechanically, the 690 has always ran perfect for me.

Have the bike back, drove home and it stalled when I put it in N. Also noticed it hesitating when I started from a dead stop.

Drove again this evening, same thing. When I come to stop, the bike stalls. When I start it, it idles fine? Maybe a bit slow.

My theory, they mis-adjusted the valves maybe? No lines kinked, and never had fuel problems.

Gonna call them tommorrow, see what they think, and how much they adjusted them...

I know, I know, I usually do my own wrenching, but a KTM, a Honda, and a third bike shop all closed in the city close by this year, figured even though it costs a hair more for parts I better start supporting the local shops! (or at least try them)

Am I wrong on the valve guess? I figure it is the only thing they could mess up...or does the stalling at stop indicate something else?

Any info appreciated before I call and make an ass of myself....

Thanks!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #5827
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
Any suggestions guys?

Took my 2010 KTM 690 Rto a non-KTM (but Local) dealer to do my 15,000 km service. Reason being just not enough time it seems, and I was 2,000 km late already.
Was not worried about anything mechanically, the 690 has always ran perfect for me.

Have the bike back, drove home and it stalled when I put it in N. Also noticed it hesitating when I started from a dead stop.

Drove again this evening, same thing. When I come to stop, the bike stalls. When I start it, it idles fine? Maybe a bit slow.

My theory, they mis-adjusted the valves maybe? No lines kinked, and never had fuel problems.

Gonna call them tommorrow, see what they think, and how much they adjusted them...

I know, I know, I usually do my own wrenching, but a KTM, a Honda, and a third bike shop all closed in the city close by this year, figured even though it costs a hair more for parts I better start supporting the local shops! (or at least try them)

Am I wrong on the valve guess? I figure it is the only thing they could mess up...or does the stalling at stop indicate something else?

Any info appreciated before I call and make an ass of myself....

Thanks!

MFS
Make sure the T-body is tight in the boot
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #5828
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
M-12 front and what ever is cheap in the back
enjoy for 500 miles and replace
its a dirt bike it aint supposed to get milage
Yeap ...

Quite like this overhere too ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
I ordered a YZ 450 throttle body today to see if the MAP, TPS sensor and the injector are the same as the 690. ...
Do you rather mean "compatible". I have a hard time thinking Yamaha are shopping for parts at the same place as KTM.

Paul Jr 8
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #5829
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

T-Body?

Sorry, by T-Body you mean the what now?

As in the air intake boot or something else? I'm sure I'll understand once I pull the sides off...

Tighten a clamp or is it a male/female thing?

thanks!

MFS
Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #5830
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
Sorry, by T-Body you mean the what now?

As in the air intake boot or something else? I'm sure I'll understand once I pull the sides off...

Tighten a clamp or is it a male/female thing?

thanks!

MFS
I think he means throatle body (Carb in a former life), check the rubber connection either side of it (air filter & inlet) is fitted correctly.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #5831
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiswoodsguy View Post
I got 2 dirtbikes for that A 520EXC(plated) and a 250EXC smoker

The 690 is my streetbike

After I posted this, I read a thread about some dude havin issues with the 606. So's I is goin with the MT21, maybe a Mefo - the 908RR is too pricey for a 2 tire a season bike

With 3 offroad bikes, I change tires A LOT. Would like one bike I dont have to mess with all that much. RMATV has the MT 21 for 89.99 - probably the most reasonable tire Id find to do what I want

But thanx Bob - always nice to see the light
The

Seriously the M-12 and whartever rear. work real good for 500 miles but I usually get about 12-1500 miles out of a set. they wear off and loose grip to a level and then they just keep on going
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #5832
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
Do you rather mean "compatible". I have a hard time thinking Yamaha are shopping for parts at the same place as KTM.

Paul Jr 8
Well then you might have an even harder time believing that KTM, Husaberg, Suzuki and Yamaha all shop at Honda for their throttle bodies and EFI system.

FYI Honda owns Keihin.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #5833
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

T-Body is good?

Looks like all 3 hose clamps holding the boot on are in position, although on on each side were "snug", but not "tight". Not loose enough to matter I think, but I tightened them up, ran the bike, and it still stalled on it's own.

I'll call the shop, see what they say. Bike starts easy, so maybe not valves and just a coincidental new problem?

MFS
Old 10-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #5834
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
The

Seriously the M-12 and whartever rear is cheapest.
FIFY. I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes through tires like shit through a goose.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #5835
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Make sure the T-body is tight in the boot
Why is this such a PITA with this bike. Takes me forever to get the boot coming from the air box seated correctly. Damn lip on the TB is too damn short from what I can see.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote