Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #6016
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post

-The side stand switch, how does that work exactly? (too rule out any fault) If figured there would be a contact point down there that would "switch" it on or off, but the way it looks is it a magnetic gizmo of sorts? The wire ends in what looks to be a black box or housing, with 2 screw heads. It looks intact, is it adjustable in some way?
I think you can rule this out - if the bike will not start in neutral. The switch kills the motor if stand is down and not in neutral. Some folks have installed bypass to eliminate potential failure or untimely kill. I'd look elsewhere.

Quote:

Clutch
Thought I'd try starting it in gear, out of gear, and when I had it in gear, with clutch in the bike lurched forward on me when I hit the start button. This could mean what in realation to not starting??
Bike should not lurch when starting with clutch lever pulled. Needs adjustment. Should not impact starting if you can't get it fired up in neutral.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #6017
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Hey there RoninMoto,

My electric ability is limited unfortunatley, but the starter turns, I've had the plug out and she sparks when starter button is hit.
All fuses good, and she pumps gas, can smell er if I crank long enough.
Just because you see or smell gas doesn't mean you have the proper pressure needed (3.4 BAR / 54 PSI)

Quote:
-The side stand switch, how does that work exactly? (too rule out any fault) If figured there would be a contact point down there that would "switch" it on or off, but the way it looks is it a magnetic gizmo of sorts? The wire ends in what looks to be a black box or housing, with 2 screw heads. It looks intact, is it adjustable in some way?
It's a Hall effect switch. Don't think it's adjustable.
Quote:

Clutch
Thought I'd try starting it in gear, out of gear, and when I had it in gear, with clutch in the bike lurched forward on me when I hit the start button. This could mean what in realation to not starting??
If the bike moves forward while trying to start with clutch pulled it sounds like your clutch is dragging excessively. Cold oil sometimes causes that symptom. Shouldn't have much effect when starting in neutral.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 04:58 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #6018
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Been shopping around for a secondary bike to my F800, and am waffling between a 500EXC and the 690 Enduro.

Going price?
Things to look out for?
Assuming it sat for a year (or two), first things to look at?
How good do these bikes work in the snow?
Heated gear... How many spare watts does the system have?
IMHO, if you're going small....go SMALL! Get a 450....
Keep the f800.

For 690 info you can start here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766514
Dunno if that's the best thread, but it should lead you in the right direction.
It can handle heated gear just fine, just dial it down when you're going slow, like below 2000rpms.

If it sat for a year or two I'd worry about ethanol.
thorinoakenshield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #6019
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I've run the H/T's already and while the rear worked pretty good, the front just didn't seem to have enough "bite." The rear worked good for the wide open stuff but the x-circuit rear had the advantage in both cornering and longevity so that will definately be my next rear tire.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to (keep in mind this is only in regards to the front tire) pirelli 486, michelin desert, or dunlop 908. Of these tires, how do they fair for my described terrain?
Have you tried the Pirelli XCMH? I'm not one who typically runs pure dirt tires, but I was really impressed with it's performance on dirt/ offroad.

It wears fairly quickly on pavement, but I felt like I could use the front brake on dirt like I normally could on pavement.
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #6020
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post

Cracked 3/4 of the way round. Replaced lower tank bushings last year. Now this shit. Got it welded, we'll see how long it lasts.
When I started switching accessories over from my 08, I found a significant crack in the same spot. I did not notice it last June when I put the FMF pipe on. I had over 25k miles on the bike at that point.

I wonder if mounting the aftermarket pipe created some additional stress on that area that promoted the failure??

@MFS

The magnet for the sidestand switch is adjustable, you loosen the screw that hold it to the sidestand, and you can turn it a bit. I would suggest being careful not to use too much torque when tightening it back down, as I would guess that the magnet may not be able to take it..

Re; Lurching with clutch pulled in.. Replace the slave cylinder. I wish I had listened to another inmate when he suggested I should do the same after complaining about clutch issues. If I had, I believe that I would not have had my engine go south, and thus ended up buying another 690..
Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #6021
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,004
Up for grabs......

I know the horse shoe looking thing is for luggage but no idea what, where, when, why or how. The filter is obvious, UNI for the stock airbox. First come first served but to qualify for the free item and shipping, you'll need to entertain me. A Poem, funny story or a cool picture will do and all content will be kept private Nothing is free in this world, so earn it
Old 10-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #6022
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
weight?

Hey gang. Thanks for all the posts here--I'm learning a lot about my "new" bike.
I have an '08 690, basically stock except for a FMF Q4. Has anyone put a similar bike on the scales--fueled up and ready to ride? I'm wondering what the true weight is.
Thanks,
Pete
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #6023
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Up for grabs......

I know the horse shoe looking thing is for luggage but no idea what, where, when, why or how. The filter is obvious, UNI for the stock airbox. First come first served but to qualify for the free item and shipping, you'll need to entertain me. A Poem, funny story or a cool picture will do and all content will be kept private Nothing is free in this world, so earn it

I already have the horseshoe mount, it is for the tailbag from ktm, and I believe that it works with SW Motech accessories as well.

To have an extra Uni filter, I offer you this to post wherever you like.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 AM   #6024
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I already have the horseshoe mount, it is for the tailbag from ktm, and I believe that it works with SW Motech accessories as well.

We'd all still have a hard time catch'n him if he was on a Harley.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #6025
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,004
Quote:

Uni filter is yours, I'll bring it to the Hammer run. The only thing I ask is that you help pull AWM's tongue out of Nate's crack
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #6026
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,383
Quote:
Uni filter is yours, I'll bring it to the Hammer run. The only thing I ask is that you help pull AWM's tongue out of Nate's crack

Wow,,your calling me a brown noser.

Ill see ya at your rig for the Hammer.

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #6027
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 163
Quote:

Your pic has finally clarified me why so many Harleys have ape hangers...
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #6028
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM View Post

We'd all still have a hard time catch'n him if he was on a Harley.

Aint that the truth.

Quote:
I'll have to get some of those shoulder length rubber gloves like the Veterinarians use.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #6029
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
IMHO, if you're going small....go SMALL! Get a 450....
Keep the f800. ...
A friend had his 690 stolen last year. He loved it and rode it hard and fast mostly off-road. He bought a EXC 500 this year and likes it WAY better for gravel roading....and likes it WAY more on the single track than his 690. He has a KTM 250 two-smoker that has just sat in his garage since he got the 500.

I love my 450 EXC w/Rekluse for the tight stuff, and doubt I will need another bike for the single track (and Baja....cuz the 690 is too big for me on the Bill Nicholls stuff but the 690 is good for the rest of Baja), but if I did get another dirtbike, it would be the 500.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #6030
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I fixed mine this weekend.

SG,
Yeah.....that's the ticket

It was really difficult to sell mine, but the 690 is a bit lighter and has slightly better suspension....

Now, back to your regular programming

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote