User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #6031
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Denial is over...

So I'm ripping apart all my wiring this weekend. I've taped up 3 bared wires already, checked the plug, pump works but 2010 KTM 690 R = No Start. Haven't checked the side stand switch, forgot all bout that one, but highly doubt it.

Going to cut/splice the bared wires proper, and take every wire off and look at each connection. Gotta be something there? Battery is charged, and looking at the wires something had to give somewhere, although I just haven't seen it yet.

Arrghhh, at least I'll be confident in identifying future problems anyway! Run Baby Run!!!

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #6032
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
So I'm ripping apart all my wiring this weekend. I've taped up 3 bared wires already, checked the plug, pump works but 2010 KTM 690 R = No Start. Haven't checked the side stand switch, forgot all bout that one, but highly doubt it.

Going to cut/splice the bared wires proper, and take every wire off and look at each connection. Gotta be something there? Battery is charged, and looking at the wires something had to give somewhere, although I just haven't seen it yet.

Arrghhh, at least I'll be confident in identifying future problems anyway! Run Baby Run!!!

MFS
Have you tried to troubleshoot? Test points to find where the problem might be?
Is your battery dead?
Does the bike turn over?
Does the starter relay get power?
Does the starter motor get power?
Does the starter button get power?
Are all your fuses good?

I'm not trying to be a dick.. I would try to narrow things down before you tear into your wiring. (although bare wire is a good indication.)
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #6033
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
that scorpion rally is actually looking like a good option... I think I'll order one! Thanks Uller!
Can't let a tire thread die. I'm using Michlen T63. Cheap (under $130 front and rear, ship free from Motorcycle Superstore). Works well for me.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #6034
daveknievel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66

Cracked 3/4 of the way round. Replaced lower tank bushings last year. Now this shit. Got it welded, we'll see how long it lasts.
daveknievel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #6035
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Hey there RoninMoto,

My electric ability is limited unfortunatley, but the starter turns, I've had the plug out and she sparks when starter button is hit.
All fuses good, and she pumps gas, can smell er if I crank long enough.
Poor battery is on the charger, the past week has worn er out...

The wiring was a noticeable (ie visual) flaw, and confirming there are no other poor ones, and check my connections.

2 more items...

-The side stand switch, how does that work exactly? (too rule out any fault) If figured there would be a contact point down there that would "switch" it on or off, but the way it looks is it a magnetic gizmo of sorts? The wire ends in what looks to be a black box or housing, with 2 screw heads. It looks intact, is it adjustable in some way?

Clutch
Thought I'd try starting it in gear, out of gear, and when I had it in gear, with clutch in the bike lurched forward on me when I hit the start button. This could mean what in realation to not starting??

I can mess with this all day, in the end it'll be blind luck if it runs again cause of me. I do not have the capability to try a remap, once battery is charged tomorrow and I have the wiring reconnected I'll maybe pull the pump and have a look.

I do like and enjoy the process, but do realize my limitations when it comes to electrical

That all said, Ronin I've followed your RR since you hit Canada. No way your trying to be a dick, all your "wiseguy" comments have problably been used up on a certain .01 percent of the Irish...
That said, be safe on your travels!

Any comments, or suggestions from any and all are welcome. It'll be headed back to a non-KTM shop next week, but the more I figure out on my own, the better. They did a valve check, (without making an adjustment,all good) for me and dropped it off. Didn't run right and now has stopped. Could be as simple as them pressure washing it to hard in the wrong spot (cause the bike came back CLEAN), or maybe starting it before the gauges did there "sweep" and messed up FI timing? Won't start regardless

Fruuustraaateeddd Innncoorrpaaraatteeddd...

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #6036
Engineer John
Engineer

Oddometer: 20
Weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveknievel View Post

Cracked 3/4 of the way round. Replaced lower tank bushings last year. Now this shit. Got it welded, we'll see how long it lasts.
Looks like the weld on the bracket was a little cold and the crack started there. Welding thin metal with wirefeed (MIG) there is a tendency to turn down the current and you get a big bead. This big change in thickness is a perfect place to start a crack.
The weld on the flange looks much nicer, looks like TIG. I'd grind down the bracket weld to almost nothing and get the repair done with TIG.

John
Engineer John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #6037
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,397
Yep. Mine started cracking at the front heat shield tab. I just removed the heat shield entirely and ground off the brackets.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #6038
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Good deal?

Been shopping around for a secondary bike to my F800, and am waffling between a 500EXC and the 690 Enduro.

Well, went to the dealer and dropped my bike in the parking lot (I had just come down a mountain and had an angry hornet fly under my shirt tearing the crap outta my gut before I was able to stop, rip off gear and stomp the mofo into the ground, that's my excuse and I am sticking to it) but I digress...

They had a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro (i thought it was the 2013 model when I first saw it) with less than 100 miles (n00b knobs still all over the tire). I do like the 690 because I can tip toe both feet with my 30" inseam, unlike the 500 EXC.

They were looking for basically $8500 (same price as another low mileage one in Texas).

So, good deal or not?

We are heading into winter in the Sierras (first real storm come Monday), so the riding season is coming to a close (ah, there is always California).

I know a less about the KTM's than I'd like, so thought I would ask for help...

Going price?
Things to look out for?
Assuming it sat for a year (or two), first things to look at?
How good do these bikes work in the snow?
Heated gear... How many spare watts does the system have?

Thanks!
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #6039
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Been shopping around for a secondary bike to my F800, and am waffling between a 500EXC and the 690 Enduro.
Since you plan on keeping your road bike (F800 ) - I would lean towards the 500 to maximize your riding options.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #6040
daveknievel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer John View Post
Looks like the weld on the bracket was a little cold and the crack started there. Welding thin metal with wirefeed (MIG) there is a tendency to turn down the current and you get a big bead. This big change in thickness is a perfect place to start a crack.
The weld on the flange looks much nicer, looks like TIG. I'd grind down the bracket weld to almost nothing and get the repair done with TIG.

John
Yep. The bracket on my FMF muffler broke last year. So i took off the back heat shield. Did that exactly. Cut said bracket off and TIG welded. It is cheap stainless. and paper thin. We didn't use much filler rod. Got it to pull back together for the most part.
daveknievel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #6041
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
.have we solved all the 690 issues?
I fixed mine this weekend.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #6042
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:

-The side stand switch, how does that work exactly? (too rule out any fault) If figured there would be a contact point down there that would "switch" it on or off, but the way it looks is it a magnetic gizmo of sorts? The wire ends in what looks to be a black box or housing, with 2 screw heads. It looks intact, is it adjustable in some way?
I think you can rule this out - if the bike will not start in neutral. The switch kills the motor if stand is down and not in neutral. Some folks have installed bypass to eliminate potential failure or untimely kill. I'd look elsewhere.

Quote:

Clutch
Thought I'd try starting it in gear, out of gear, and when I had it in gear, with clutch in the bike lurched forward on me when I hit the start button. This could mean what in realation to not starting??
Bike should not lurch when starting with clutch lever pulled. Needs adjustment. Should not impact starting if you can't get it fired up in neutral.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #6043
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Hey there RoninMoto,

My electric ability is limited unfortunatley, but the starter turns, I've had the plug out and she sparks when starter button is hit.
All fuses good, and she pumps gas, can smell er if I crank long enough.
Just because you see or smell gas doesn't mean you have the proper pressure needed (3.4 BAR / 54 PSI)

Quote:
It's a Hall effect switch. Don't think it's adjustable.
Quote:

Clutch
If the bike moves forward while trying to start with clutch pulled it sounds like your clutch is dragging excessively. Cold oil sometimes causes that symptom. Shouldn't have much effect when starting in neutral.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 04:58 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #6044
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post

Going price?
Things to look out for?
Assuming it sat for a year (or two), first things to look at?
How good do these bikes work in the snow?
Heated gear... How many spare watts does the system have?
IMHO, if you're going small....go SMALL! Get a 450....
Keep the f800.

For 690 info you can start here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766514
Dunno if that's the best thread, but it should lead you in the right direction.
It can handle heated gear just fine, just dial it down when you're going slow, like below 2000rpms.

If it sat for a year or two I'd worry about ethanol.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #6045
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I've run the H/T's already and while the rear worked pretty good, the front just didn't seem to have enough "bite." The rear worked good for the wide open stuff but the x-circuit rear had the advantage in both cornering and longevity so that will definately be my next rear tire.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to (keep in mind this is only in regards to the front tire) pirelli 486, michelin desert, or dunlop 908. Of these tires, how do they fair for my described terrain?
Have you tried the Pirelli XCMH? I'm not one who typically runs pure dirt tires, but I was really impressed with it's performance on dirt/ offroad.

It wears fairly quickly on pavement, but I felt like I could use the front brake on dirt like I normally could on pavement.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote