Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #601
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Back on to the knock off shit. How many 690 die hard's in the states wish there were a better solution to the Rally Raid?
Not me, I bought a dual sport bike, not a rally bike. They don't make anything I want, much less any knock off shit.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #602
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 875
those of us out west need more millage Albie. We routinely need 200 + mile fuel range and I hate carrying it on my body or in the camping gear. We really need to carry 5.5 gal and we wouldnt need to worry or ride in the not so fun throttle mode.
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #603
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
those of us out west need more millage Albie. We routinely need 200 + mile fuel range and I hate carrying it on my body or in the camping gear. We really need to carry 5.5 gal and we wouldnt need to worry or ride in the not so fun throttle mode.
The max I get is around 350 km in "Boring Mode" (217 miles). Which happens very seldom.

Paul Jr 8

Gros Buck screwed with this post 10-24-2011 at 03:55 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #604
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 801
RR tanks added, So whats my mileage now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzilla View Post
those of us out west need more millage... We routinely need 200 + mile fuel range and I hate carrying it on my body or in the camping gear. We really need to carry 5.5 gal .....
Just how many miles do you get with the RR tanks? Figuring that you'd be adding 30-40 lbs of Coyote bags or some other luggage filled with camping gear and personals. Does anybody drop down in gearing and how much can you lower before sacrificing low end off road on the 690? Hoping to not add the rear tank from RR and get at least 225- 250 on a tank, or am I smokin crack here? Yea, I know, open ended...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #605
R-dubb
Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Just how many miles do you get with the RR tanks? Figuring that you'd be adding 30-40 lbs of Coyote bags or some other luggage filled with camping gear and personals. Does anybody drop down in gearing and how much can you lower before sacrificing low end off road on the 690? Hoping to not add the rear tank from RR and get at least 225- 250 on a tank, or am I smokin crack here? Yea, I know, open ended...
With RR front tanks, I carry just over five gallons and can go 200-230 miles, depending.
R-dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #606
gbx2001
Geophiz

Oddometer: 96
Profill fuel filter

About a year ago I picked up a Profill filter from Renazco for my fuel tank and I have tried to use it regularly to prevent problems with grotty fuel screwing up the injection system on my 690R.

Unfortunately the "hair trigger" on some gas station fuel pumps often means I am either splashing fuel on my seat or the plastic surrounding the fuel filler neck as gas cannot drain quickly enough through the filter into the fuel tank. After the last fiasco trying to refuel with it at a local Shell station, I yanked it out.

I am curious how many other people have trouble with their Profill filters. I think the idea is great in principle, but it appears to need some refinement for regular use on the 690R.

For the record, with a few 1000km of use, I have not seen any debris in the filter.

If you have found a way to make your work better, I would be interested to hear what you have done.

Thanks in advance.
gbx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #607
Tbone675
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
where is the sensor and how do i bypass the tip over sensor? my bike fell over in a trail yesterday and it did not want to start. i tried tipping both ways...smacking the bars to the steering stops....in the end i disconnected the battery and that worked but i need more reliability.
Tbone675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 AM   #608
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post
where is the sensor and how do i bypass the tip over sensor? my bike fell over in a trail yesterday and it did not want to start. i tried tipping both ways...smacking the bars to the steering stops....in the end i disconnected the battery and that worked but i need more reliability.

if the tip over sensor kicks in you need to shut the key off and turn the bike back on and it should restart. The sensor is located on a small tab about 6" below the seat just in front of the rear shock body. The word "UP" is molded into the plastic on top of it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 AM   #609
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-dubb View Post
With RR front tanks, I carry just over five gallons and can go 200-230 miles, depending.

In full on race mode with a custom fuel map and running WOT in 6th gear for extended distances I was just able to go 300 KM on a fuel load with the Rally Raid tanks. Thats about 180 miles and works out to 32 mpg. The total capacity with the stock rear and the Rally Raid fronts is 5.65 US gallons. Normaly I get closer to 40 or 45 mpg so range with this setup should be more than adequate.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #610
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

I never get better then 35 MPG myself. Good thing we got plenty of gas stations around here.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM   #611
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
One of the wonders of FI is the ability to adjust to altitude...I've been 175 miles descending from Cloudcroft to Queen, New Mexico and still had fuel...other times, nearer to sea level, I have run bone dry at 140 miles with the stock tank...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM   #612
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
One of the wonders of FI is the ability to adjust to altitude...I've been 175 miles descending from Cloudcroft to Queen, New Mexico and still had fuel...other times, nearer to sea level, I have run bone dry at 140 miles with the stock tank...
LOL, I've run bone dry at 100.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #613
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
LOL, I've run bone dry at 100.
Damn !!!! I am only 60....and when I run , I break a bit of a sweat so my bone gets at least a bit moist

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #614
Paves
Beetrt/liver sausage

Oddometer: 1,663
LED indicators

I've fitted a RR adventure fairing and front LED indicators but they don't work. Anyone with experience of this know if I just need to put resistors in and what type, or do I need a relay?

"All the freaky people make the beauty in the world" - Michael Franty. Weird, odd and proud of it
Paves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #615
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paves View Post
I've fitted a RR adventure fairing and front LED indicators but they don't work. Anyone with experience of this know if I just need to put resistors in and what type, or do I need a relay?
You need something like this when you go to 4 led indicators.

edit-----

On re-read if you are only running 2 led up front I'd check connections1st. Mine were ok with 2 but needed extra piece above when I added fronts.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote