Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 AM   #6241
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
OK need some help again. Backstory, I had the fuel pump replaced in March, then it started smoking so I replaced the piston and rings. I rode it about 60 miles and shut it off and it wouldn't restart, then it bound up. I pulled the valve cover and the wheel pin worked its way out of the intake valve rocker and was interfering with the exhause rocker.

I got it back together today and it started quick enough but is running like crap and sometimes won't start at all. When it does start it runs rough backfires a little, won't idle for long and if I give it throttle it bogs like a carbureted bike when it is still cold.

The only thing I know to check is the cam timing for the 3rd time. The engine light is not on.

Start off checking the injector. Sounds like it could be fuel related. is the pump cycling when powered up? I know you replaced the pump already, but I'd start with fuel, and spark.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #6242
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Start off checking the injector. Sounds like it could be fuel related. is the pump cycling when powered up? I know you replaced the pump already, but I'd start with fuel, and spark.
Honestly it is acting like the pump but I don't want to go there. The pump is making noise. I checked the spark before I put it all back together. I guess I'll study up on the injector.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #6243
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Fuel Injector

That's where I'm at right now also. I cleaned mine myself, and the 690 fired up all sweet like (previously was not starting at all) but it does stall. Changed the fuel filter, recleaned the injector and and runs poor. Stalls when decelerating/stopping, and misses when accelerating. Holding Rpm, it runs, say doing steady 80 kph, or higher. But crack the throttle and it misses.

I have checked spark, wires, everything I could myself and taking the injector out and putting it back in was the only item that resulted in a positve.

So now today I'm in the process of finding someone to do the "ultrasonic" cleaning? Or at least at more "proffessional" cleaning than I gave it. Funny though, the shops I've called so far seem to do the same, homemade cleaning style that I do, just blow air backwards through it.

Once I can rule out the injector, then I'll look at a different part I suppose...but I think it's got something to do with it...

MFS
MFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #6244
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I'd try to get some wideband O2 readings so you actually know what the bike is doing under load at various RPMs.

Running rich can create just as much damage as running lean.
Agree, although finding such equipment with qualified technicians around here is quite a task.

Raid de L'Amiti 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #6245
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
The power wires going to the coil, the 2 spade connectors, were very corroded on my 2010. The gauge size is too small. I was have similar type of problems, it would run great, than barely idle or not start at all and no pattern to it. Just something else you may want to check

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #6246
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
The power wires going to the coil, the 2 spade connectors, were very corroded on my 2010. The gauge size is too small. I was have similar type of problems, it would run great, than barely idle or not start at all and no pattern to it. Just something else you may want to check
I had the same problem on my 09 690r. Seemed like a fuel problem but it was those blade connectors on the coil being a little loose. They were not corroded on my bike but crimping them for a tighter fit solved the problem.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #6247
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

power wires to coil

Hmm, pictures? Or verbal description of the wires/connectors that you mean? I couldn't find any noticeable problems with my wires, but then again, I know not what I look for Are we talking down on the right side of bike?

MFS
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #6248
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFS View Post
Hmm, pictures? Or verbal description of the wires/connectors that you mean? I couldn't find any noticeable problems with my wires, but then again, I know not what I look for Are we talking down on the right side of bike?

MFS
Yes, there are 2 spade connectors on the coil. Check those. Also make sure the earth is clean and not corroded/rusty
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #6249
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorich View Post
Just had this problem on my 08 in the Atlas mountains. Last night she was missing around 5k rpms. I checked the spray out of the injector and it was slightly weak so I switched it out. I also changed the spark plug. Still missing today then it cut out completely and wouldn't start.

I had weak to no spark and spade connector on the coil was so loose it fell off when I removed the coil. Problem solved. I also re-sanded the grounding while I was at it.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #6250
jorich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Yah. I started cutting back my wires to get clean copper. My wires were black for about 4 inches. Those spades seem to get loose quite easily.

'10 KTM 690R:)
jorich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #6251
Mini Trail
nb

My coil connectors were fine and I was dissapointed.

I pulled the injector but I have never messed with one on a bike before. I don't know how much fuel should come out on startup. When I turn on the key the fuel line going to the injector "chubbed up" so I figured the fuel pump is building pressure. I listened carefully to it though and it seems a bit noisy.

Cranking the bike with the throttle closed produced a light mist, I just don't know how much it should be. I do know that a bosch CIS system that just pees fuel all the time would produce a wetter output at the injector.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #6252
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
My coil connectors were fine and I was dissapointed.

I pulled the injector but I have never messed with one on a bike before. I don't know how much fuel should come out on startup. When I turn on the key the fuel line going to the injector "chubbed up" so I figured the fuel pump is building pressure. I listened carefully to it though and it seems a bit noisy.

Cranking the bike with the throttle closed produced a light mist, I just don't know how much it should be. I do know that a bosch CIS system that just pees fuel all the time would produce a wetter output at the injector.
CIS pressure is much higher, 80-120 PSI, double what the 690 puts out. Most CIS injectors are bad, so the dribble anyway
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #6253
Mini Trail
nb

Quote:
I couldn't resist here it is.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #6254
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,833
Mini,
Fuel spray looks light
Pull the injector out of the holder. Divert incoming fuel to another container.
With the injector still plugged into the electrical hook up a tube and airhose to the output side. Then push some air/solvent through backeards as you spin the motor to cycle the injector. I can take some pics tomorrow if it'll help.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #6255
MFS
Gnarly Adventurer

Injector Screen

The good thing about doing things yourself, is that the second time everything goes sooo much smoother.

That said, this is still the first time, and a lesson has now been learned!

Next time, I will defineatley pull the infector screen before reverse-blowing air through it. Like ever other screen/filter, from shop vac to bike do we not always take filter out, as seperate component and clean it then?

This time however, I messed up trying to get that lil sucker out, and have punctured it

Have the injector soaking in Diesel fuel conditioner (recommended?) for the night, will put the screen back in tommorrow, reinstall it all and try it out! Small puncture, but it can't run any worse! Will try to order injector screen kit tomorrow. um, if there is such a thing.

Did check the spade connectors on the coil, the rubber housing on one was loose, and rubbed through by a rad hose. Pinched it on a bit tighter and hopefully that and a super clean injector will make a difference....

Gonna be "extra ready" for spring...

MFS