Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 AM   #6271
Reshad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
Interesting points.

Although I don't know if it is a language barrier, mistake, or if you are not aware.. The fluid in the hydraulic clutch system is mineral oil. If this is a misconception on your part, I'm sure you must realize the difference in lubricity between mineral oil, and hydraulic fluid in that environment..

I find your theory about the way such a leak would end up in the engine case interesting, and worhty of consideration.

I did fail to mention that I was having clutch engagement/ disengagement issues over a period of months before my failure happened. Flushing the system of old fluid, and bleeding it "seemed" to cure the problem (had to do 2 or 3 times in those 5 or so months preceeding the failure).

My theory could certainly be flawed, it wouldn't be the first time.
No doubt about it, mineral oil won't be a very good lubricant compared to the recommended Motorex, but for a significant drop in overall lubricity, I think you would need to have more mineral oil go in than seepage amounts. My clutch has mostly been fine though i must admit, recently, on a few occasions it didn't go straight into neutral as it always has...might be a sign. Will dismantle my slave, see what I find and report back.

Did you ever manage to lay your hands on another engine to replace your damaged one?
Reshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #6272
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshad View Post
No doubt about it, mineral oil won't be a very good lubricant compared to the recommended Motorex, but for a significant drop in overall lubricity, I think you would need to have more mineral oil go in than seepage amounts. My clutch has mostly been fine though i must admit, recently, on a few occasions it didn't go straight into neutral as it always has...might be a sign. Will dismantle my slave, see what I find and report back.

Did you ever manage to lay your hands on another engine to replace your damaged one?
As of yet I have not repaired mine... I did however go out and get a new 2012 690E. I have not decided if I will bother repairing the 08, or just use it for parts etc...

Speaking of which, I have a number of NTO, and used parts taking up space in the garage. I doubt that I'll sell any of the NTO stuff at this point, but I have an 08 stock muffler, the tailrack with the horseshoe thingy on it, an 08 stock seat (with damaged seat pan), and some other stuff.

If somebody needs something, feel free to pm me.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #6273
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshad View Post
Next logical step to me is to heat up the nut a bit and try again... Any recommendations on how to proceed?
At 212 F, Red Loctite looses roughly 30% of its strength. It looses 80% at 300 F.

Paul Jr
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #6274
Reshad
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
At 212 F, Red Loctite looses roughly 30% of its strength. It looses 80% at 300 F.

Paul Jr
Cheers Paul Jr. I managed to get the nut loose in the end, but good facts to know for future reference.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 AM   #6275
Reshad
Adventurer

I've completely dismantled my clutch; everything I could check with the service manual is in spec and my only remaining concern is the ~0.5 mm axial play in the mainshaft. Could this be normal? ...no mention in the manual! Looking at the half washers, since they could decrease axial play when the clutch is assembled, I see they both appear to be crushed, or maybe it's just the normal finish, would greatly appreciate your views. They both measure 2.95 mm in thickness, does anyone know if this is in spec, as there is nothing noted in the service manual on this. Similarly, the stepped washer i measure is 5.1 mm in thickness, is this in spec? Cheers
Old 11-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #6276
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
I paid $9700 for my 12 plus taxes and reg.
Nice bike...

You from RI Pantah ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #6277
Pundy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Frank, you need a 690, it's the greatest all around bike. You'd love it for the type of adventuring you do.
Pundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:04 AM   #6278
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Nice bike...

You from RI Pantah ?
Thanks. I live downtown Boston in a high rise.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #6279
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundy View Post
Frank, you need a 690, it's the greatest all around bike. You'd love it for the type of adventuring you do.
Hi Sam! Your right !

Old 11-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #6280
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Thanks. I live downtown Boston in a high rise.
India wharf threw me. There is one in Providence.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #6281
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Long shot I know...but posting for a friend. He had a bit of a lowside yesterday on a gravel road at speed. Left side. No real damage to himself fortunately.

Bad part is it is very difficult, or near impossible to shift out of 5/6 down to 3/4. Looking at the fiche appears there are 3 different splines so he's thinking he bent the fork for 3/4 being in 4th at the time.

I've NEVER heard of that on these bikes and am a bit disappointed if a fall on a gravel road can do that much damage, but don't see what else it could be.

Wondering if anyone has heard of similar?

Bike is a 2012 R with 2k miles.....
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #6282
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I had a similar fall on my '11, shredded the shifter, left peg and muffler. No tranny issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
Long shot I know...but posting for a friend. He had a bit of a lowside yesterday on a gravel road at speed. Left side. No real damage to himself fortunately.

Bad part is it is very difficult, or near impossible to shift out of 5/6 down to 3/4. Looking at the fiche appears there are 3 different splines so he's thinking he bent the fork for 3/4 being in 4th at the time.

I've NEVER heard of that on these bikes and am a bit disappointed if a fall on a gravel road can do that much damage, but don't see what else it could be.

Wondering if anyone has heard of similar?

Bike is a 2012 R with 2k miles.....
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #6283
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Nice peg!!!

A bit baffled on how the damage could have been done. Lever is tucked up pretty well, his oversized pegs folded up nicely and dinged the rearset, but don't see how forces could have either pushed the shift shaft in, or pushed the shift lever up or down enough to bend something in the tranny. I've taco'd many a shift lever on my 530 without any internal damage.

...but, nothing to be done about it I suppose, eliminate the simple stuff, then split the cases.
2013 500 Exc
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #6284
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,396
Pull the shift lever off, it's possible that he stripped the splines and the lever isn't moving the shift shaft far enough.

It's also possible that the shifter shaft is bent, and preventing it from moving far enough to make the shift.
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #6285
brzda
Adventurer

KTM 690 idle doesnt run after cleaning

Hello, I have problem with my KTM 690R 2009. KTM doesnt run to idle after Karcher pressure cleaning. It sometimes starts and goes with turning the throttle but stops to idle. FI on speedometer doesnt flash. It is OK after an hour. Do You have any experience? Thank You. Sorry for my english
brzda is offline   Reply With Quote