User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #6301
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
2010 690

Hello to all the inmates here. I have been lurking here for quite awhile reading the posts in anticipation of getting one of these amazing machine. Well I now have a "new to me" 2010 690. It has a few things done to it..... FMF Q4 slip on, Scott's stabilizer, Renazco seat. Just wondering where I should start with this beauty. Are there more pressing matters than farkling that one should start out with...mechanical issues, etc. or get right into farkling issues such as luggage racks, rear racks, lighting, etc. are there favorite vendors that people prefer and who specialize in this machine. Thanks for any and all help.
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #6302
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpaman View Post
Hello to all the inmates here. I have been lurking here for quite awhile reading the posts in anticipation of getting one of these amazing machine. Well I now have a "new to me" 2010 690. It has a few things done to it..... FMF Q4 slip on, Scott's stabilizer, Renazco seat. Just wondering where I should start with this beauty. Are there more pressing matters than farkling that one should start out with...mechanical issues, etc. or get right into farkling issues such as luggage racks, rear racks, lighting, etc. are there favorite vendors that people prefer and who specialize in this machine. Thanks for any and all help.
Upper and Lower Tank bolts from Rally Raid (UK) or KTMTwins here in the US.

Uni dual pod.

Sounds like it already has some nice improvements!

These bikes are a freakin' hoot.

Dirty
Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #6303
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Couple issues regarding the radiator, remove the bolts on the plastic protector and zip tie it on. Shim the rad fan shroud to keep it from rubbing holes into teh rad.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #6304
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Couple issues regarding the radiator, remove the bolts on the plastic protector and zip tie it on. Shim the rad fan shroud to keep it from rubbing holes into teh rad.
..or get the RR radiator guard. it is steel and it eliminates all attachments points to the radiator. Worth every penny when you tip the bike over.(i know from experience) New radiator = $570. RR Radiator guard = $180
http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/...uard-protector
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #6305
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
+100

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmoto View Post
..or get the rr radiator guard. It is steel and it eliminates all attachments points to the radiator. Worth every penny when you tip the bike over.(i know from experience) new radiator = $570. Rr radiator guard = $180
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #6306
NovaMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
2011 TPS values

I'm looking for apad/thad values for the TPS sensors on a 2011 ER. The values for 08-10 aren't applicable!

Someone must know :) Thanks!
NovaMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #6307
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,206
Sage somethings salvaged from mega gone bye. This is 3yrs ago wisdom, act accordingly.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 AM   #6308
Bumpaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
..or get the RR radiator guard. it is steel and it eliminates all attachments points to the radiator. Worth every penny when you tip the bike over.(i know from experience) New radiator = $570. RR Radiator guard = $180
KTMTwins has 2 types of radiator protection....a crash bar setup and the Rally Raid type that mounts around the radiator. Is one better than the other. In checking over my newly acquired 2010 690 that the radiator mounts are already bent. Would the RR protection still fit?
Bumpaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #6309
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,637
You might have to "adjust" the tabs some. You want the rr cage that surounds the radiator is the one you want. The screen is nice to but the stock one works fine.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #6310
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
KTMTwins has 2 types of radiator protection....a crash bar setup and the Rally Raid type that mounts around the radiator. Is one better than the other. In checking over my newly acquired 2010 690 that the radiator mounts are already bent. Would the RR protection still fit?
Radiator guards are meant to be a close and tight fit. You could certainly get the protection and make the necessary tweeks to make the fit.

As a side note~the RR rad protector I received arrived loosely wrapped in bubble wrap, metal clanking against metal, no install instructions and was one crude piece of metal work. Edges were sharp and almost dangerous to handle - the circular cut around the radiator cap was poorly executed. I returned the lot and went for the easy to-bolt-on KTM Hard Parts unit. Many guys have been happy with the RR stuff so I may have received a part that missed the QC before packing.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #6311
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Mini,
Fuel spray looks light
Pull the injector out of the holder. Divert incoming fuel to another container.
With the injector still plugged into the electrical hook up a tube and airhose to the output side. Then push some air/solvent through backeards as you spin the motor to cycle the injector. I can take some pics tomorrow if it'll help.
I took it all apart and cleaned the injector with no improvement. I cut the hose clamp off at the injector housing and I get good voume of fuel but zero pressure. I guess 6000 miles out of the first pump was pretty good compared to the 400 out of the replacement.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #6312
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I took it all apart and cleaned the injector with no improvement. I cut the hose clamp off at the injector housing and I get good voume of fuel but zero pressure. I guess 6000 miles out of the first pump was pretty good compared to the 400 out of the replacement.
That's exactly how mine was.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #6313
Mini Trail
nb

The fuel pump is out.

It is a CA. Cycleworks.

Is there anything to test at this point? Can I run it outside of the tank?

Are those gray star things on the fuel line connectors that come apart?

Mini Trail screwed with this post 11-18-2012 at 06:44 PM
Mini Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #6314
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,889
Mini, How far with testing are you willing to go? Drop it in a some fuel and attach a pressure gauge... About all you can do. Other than power it up and see that it spins up every time. After that you'll need to get technicial to trouble shoot it any deeper.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #6315
Mini Trail
nb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail View Post
Mini, How far with testing are you willing to go? Drop it in a some fuel and attach a pressure gauge... About all you can do. Other than power it up and see that it spins up every time. After that you'll need to get technicial to trouble shoot it any deeper.
I don't have a gauge, but I could easily hold back the pressure with my thumb over the hose. I even tried a loose grip on it once and it barely sprayed past my thumb at all.

I think I thought I might find something obviously wrong if I pulled the pump. Everything is clean though. I did cycle it a bunch of times to try to pump the gas out that I couldn't siphon and it eventually quit running.

I'll pick up some kind of gauge next week, can I just submerse the pump in a jar of gas to test it? I have almost no time to work on it now but I will have a mandatory week off after Christmas. I want to order whatever I need to get this running by then.

Then I'm going to trade it on a Road Glide or something fun that runs.