Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 PM   #6316
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
dont bother with the gauge . it needs 55 psi. unless you have a kink in the hose or a completely plugged filter you need a new pump or your pump is not getting electricity, or you have a leak in the fuel line....i have seen that also

they do go bad. even the California cycle ones
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #6317
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
The fuel pump is out.

It is a CA. Cycleworks.

Is there anything to test at this point? Can I run it outside of the tank?

Are those gray star things on the fuel line connectors that come apart?

We have had problems getting those "snap" connectors apart,once they have been immersed in fuel for a while,and had a couple of bikes that were loosing fuel pressure and would start,but not run,because owners had used screwdrivers etc to push back the barbs on the connectors when getting them apart.This meant they did not re-secure properly when re connected,and the fuel pump pressure was forcing them apart,so loosing pressure.But you could not tell,because the leaky connector just leaks internally into the tank.The only way we proved it was to pull the pump and pipework right out,put it in a bucket with petrol and cycle the pump,then we saw the fuel coming out of the connector.
Since then we have made our own plastic tool to disconnect the snap-fit connectors properly,which we supply to several KTM dealers,as even these guys struggle with them,as a lot of the SX and EXC are using the same connectors on their FI system.

Link to Clip
ktmmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #6318
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Low fuel

During a 2 day ride in Big Bend, I decided to see how far my 2012 690 could go after the low fuel warning light comes on...
The KTM manual only says that when the light comes on, the trip odo changes to zero and counts up ....
doesn't say how far it will count or what those numbers represent...???
Anyone have a guess as to what the numbers mean???
Do we care what the numbers mean??

Light came on at about 125 miles
the count got to 295 before I found a gas pump....
I put 2.9 gallons in at 165 miles....
50/50 mix of open desert & pavement, I averaged 58 MPG on day1 and 56 MPG on day 2
I have run totally dry at 145 miles on my 08 model in similar riding...

SKINNY screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:32 AM
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #6319
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINNY View Post
During a 2 day ride in Big Bend, I decided to see how far my 2012 690 could go after the low fuel warning light comes on...
The KTM manual only says that when the light comes on, the trip odo changes to zero and counts up ....

50/50 mix of open desert & pavement, I averaged 58 MPG on day1 and 56 MPG on day 2
Interesting post. Thanks. That suggests you have about 200 miles range out of a tankful. But the confusing part is the fuel light mileage count. If the light came on at 125 miles and at the pump your low fuel count was up to 29.5 miles, then you actually got about 186 miles worth of range in a tankful and averaged 53.27 MPG.

That is close to what I experience on my 2012, although the ecomomy seems to be improving. My low light typically comes on about 135 miles. I have the motor on the soft map setting. I usually get low 50mpg and usually refuel at about 160 miles or so. I'm getting more than 50mpg, but not much. I am easy on the throttle too. I cruise the highways above 74 or so in the country and mid 60's around cities.

I think if I stayed about 55mph in sixth gear I could probably get close to 60mpg.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #6320
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Interesting post. Thanks. That suggests you have about 200 miles range out of a tankful. But the confusing part is the fuel light mileage count. If the light came on at 125 miles and at the pump your low fuel count was up to 29.5 miles, then you actually got about 186 miles worth of range in a tankful and averaged 53.27 MPG.

That is close to what I experience on my 2012, although the ecomomy seems to be improving. My low light typically comes on about 135 miles. I have the motor on the soft map setting. I usually get low 50mpg and usually refuel at about 160 miles or so. I'm getting more than 50mpg, but not much. I am easy on the throttle too. I cruise the highways above 74 or so in the country and mid 60's around cities.

I think if I stayed about 55mph in sixth gear I could probably get close to 60mpg.
My Evo 2 kitted 12' averages 51,35 mpg. Worst 47,49, best 54,94 mpg. Pretty impressive!
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #6321
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post
My Evo 2 kitted 12' averages 51,35 mpg. Worst 47,49, best 54,94 mpg. Pretty impressive!
Do you guys use metric gallons-always wanted to know

Dirty
Old 11-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #6322
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,250
Quote:

I've run mine dry at like 90 before.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #6323
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Do you guys use metric gallons-always wanted to know

Dirty
I think RoteEddie is converting from litres to US gallon. I've had 70 mpg imperial (UK) before, but mostly I get in the low to mid 60's using the mild map.

About running the tank low - I thought the thinking was to fill up before the low fuel light came on in an attempt to stop the fuel pump self destructing. Do I need to keep doing this, cos' it's a bit of a PITA.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #6324
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I think RoteEddie is converting from litres to US gallon. I've had 70 mpg imperial (UK) before, but mostly I get in the low to mid 60's using the mild map.

About running the tank low - I thought the thinking was to fill up before the low fuel light came on in an attempt to stop the fuel pump self destructing. Do I need to keep doing this, cos' it's a bit of a PITA.
Correct! We measure in litres, but I use an app called Road Trip to log my riding. Easy to convert from l/100 km to mpg
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #6325
bobzilla
Dirty Old Man

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've run mine dry at like 90 before.
BTDT several times and once in a real sandy/duney streach out at 75
I have never gotten 150 out of a tank
01 DR Frankenbike 650
76 CB750
bobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #6326
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,631
I'm looking at a 690 for my next bike and have heard mixed reports about the differences between a 2009-2011 690 and 2012+.

Are there any differences other then the seat height, suspension travel, engine displacement, and headlight?
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:54 PM   #6327
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,083
Thanks a ton for that info. I just ordered a couple of those gadgets from you. The first time I had my pump out it took a long time to figure out how to disconnect those things! I guess I managed to do it OK as I have had no problems, but the perfect tool is always a godsend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have had problems getting those "snap" connectors apart,once they have been immersed in fuel for a while,and had a couple of bikes that were loosing fuel pressure and would start,but not run,because owners had used screwdrivers etc to push back the barbs on the connectors when getting them apart.This meant they did not re-secure properly when re connected,and the fuel pump pressure was forcing them apart,so loosing pressure.But you could not tell,because the leaky connector just leaks internally into the tank.The only way we proved it was to pull the pump and pipework right out,put it in a bucket with petrol and cycle the pump,then we saw the fuel coming out of the connector.
Since then we have made our own plastic tool to disconnect the snap-fit connectors properly,which we supply to several KTM dealers,as even these guys struggle with them,as a lot of the SX and EXC are using the same connectors on their FI system.

Link to Clip
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #6328
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I don't know what others here have been doing, but..

With my 2008, I ran it until the fuel light came on most times, however, NEVER ran it completely out of gas that I can remember. I had a little over 30k miles on it when the engine died, and was still on the original fuel pump/ filter. Although, I did carry a CA Cycleworks pump for backup on longer trips, just in case..

YRMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #6329
GezwindeSpoed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
I mostly fill up after the fuel light is on for some time. Ran it dry a couple of times, no problems with fuel pomp. Did 28.000km so far. Change the fuel filter every year and had to buy a new injector a few month ago.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #6330
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:

I ran my 08 out of gas may 6-8 times. The best I ever got was 32.4 miles after the low fuel light came on but I also remember running out of fuel at 24.

I just posted a new (1 mile) 2011 690 for sale in the flea market. I've also got a few extras I may be willing to sale separately as well...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...8#post20081878
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote