Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #6556
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Do any of you guys have the Euro rear fender part number, the one KTM Twins sells with the LED tail light? My dealer sent the wrong fender and I'm trying to get it worked out. THX
Crank, you can find a full EU chassis spare parts manual here.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #6557
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Thanks folks! I sent the number to my dealer and he sent me the stock US version
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #6558
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
I tried a couple of ideas this afternoon - no fix but eliminating potentials is progress - right?

I went after the fan switch & r/r ideas because no parts required. Hooked up a volts meter to monitor flow thinking maybe an electrics drop could be root of things. Don't think so based on tests.

Here is the cold start of 15 minute idle reset. Bike doesn't get to stalling even when temps go up. Fan did kick on during 15 minutes which seemed a good indicator not electrics related and unlikely valves - speak up, but bike shouldn't idle smoothly until I kill it if purely heat driven issue would arrive with temp.

Battery at rest >13v, drops to 12.4 during ecu boot then up to 14 at idle.

Here the bike has been running 15 mins without so much as sniff let alone a cough or stall. Rectifier is pretty hot but I can touch it without burns, maybe five seconds before it's uncomfortable. Plastics were off but no breeze. Volts still > 14.

Shut off the bike, then try to restart after a couple of minutes. In this case the fan switch was plugged in.

A few seconds later with fan switch unplugged - no difference.

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 12-16-2012 at 04:09 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #6559
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
I tried a couple of ideas this afternoon - no fix but eliminating potentials is progress - right?

I went after the fan switch & r/r ideas because no parts required. Hooked up a volts meter to monitor flow thinking maybe an electrics drop could be root of things. Don't think so based on tests.

Here is the cold start of 15 minute idle reset. Bike doesn't get to stalling even when temps go up. Fan did kick on during 15 minutes which seemed a good indicator not electrics related and unlikely valves - speak up, but bike shouldn't idle smoothly until I kill it if purely heat driven issue would arrive with temp.

Battery at rest >13v, drops to 12.4 during ecu boot then up to 14 at

Here the bike has been running 15 mins without so much as sniff let alone a cough or stall. Rectifier is pretty hot but I can touch it without burns, maybe five seconds before it's uncomfortable. Plastics were off but no breeze. Volts still.....
I'm sure you mentioned that you'd checked the earth, but just in case. I had odd behaviour, bike ran great when cold, but when it warmed up, coughed spluttered and eventually would not restart. While waiting for a pickup, fiddling around and noticed that when pressing bracket for my regulator (relocated for RR tanks) it would fire up. Tow truck arrived and I asked for some tools to remove, clean and tighten bracket. Fired right back up and I was on my way. Sorted for months until a big Euro trip. After fuel stop on day 1, bike started its coughing, spluttering and died. Stripped tanks, cleaned up frame and off I went again, only to have it happen again shortly. Repeated this 2 more times with the same ultimate result. Dead bike! So, it looked to be more than a poor earth on the frame. What it did turn out to be was the coil mount/earth, which is on the same bracket. I cleaned up the metal on the coil (where the bolts go through) and ran an earth lead (luckily had brought some electrical cable in my spares) from the coil earth direct to the neg on the battery. Has been that way since July and been without issue. Your regulator looks okay as voltage is not spiking (at least what I can see). Shouldn't go above 15V at 5k RPM. All that being said, Rod on the Sibersky Extreme ride also had odd issues and it turned out to be his fuel pump. KTM engineers have also suggested to check the TPS as a possible cause. Hope you get it sorted.
www.airborneriders.com

blakrj screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 12:35 PM Reason: Remove repost of vids
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #6560
ini88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Luke - fishfind had a problem with his rectifier on this trip from South Africa up to England. Have you tried replacing or borrowing a spare rectifier to see if that is the problem? His seems to die out randomly too but while riding.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #6561
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 801
Since he reports issues at a certain temparature cut-off, I would focus next on items that is known to malfunction when heating up - coil and regulator.

Not helping much, sorry.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #6562
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Front Disc with Magnet Mount

We have designed a replacement solid front disc,300mm,to suit the KTM 690 Enduro which has a hole to accept the KTM EXC magnet & circlip,to line up with the M8 tapped hole in the caliper mount.
This will enable an ICO to be used without having to drill the existing floating disc,or glue a magnet on.

We also have a rear disc designed to offer as a straight replacement for the OEM item.

These are expected to be available by end January.

Another spin-off is they will fit KTM 950/990 Adventure models,all 690 & 450 Rallye.

ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 PM   #6563
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Will it work with the 2012 690 Enduro R with the flat sensor on the fork caliper holder?

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #6564
toast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
calling for some help

My fuel line connector pictured below is broken and KTM is back-ordered until Dec 28.
This is the connector under the seat that allows you to take the sub frame off and provide you the convenience of a quick disconnect of the fuel line.
Do any of you fine inmates have this part you can sell me?
I also heard some people swap the factory plastic stuff for some quality brass fittings, but I can't seem to find that posting.
Any help is appreciated.

Toast

Ride on!

YouTube
Spot
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #6565
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,593
Much cheaper and probably in stock:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product...FZGPPAodHCAAXw

Or for a little more then the OEM one you can get one that probably will never break https://www.denniskirk.com/goodridge...prd/186346.sku

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:36 PM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #6566
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,692
Toast- It's a NAPA 10 micron filter (finer filtration than stock) # 3095, and they're metal.

This thing has been on my list now for a few months.

Make sure to get hose clamps suitable for high pressure fuel injection systems.

Dirty
Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #6567
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Will it work with the 2012 690 Enduro R with the flat sensor on the fork caliper holder?

Cheers,

MrHix
It will fit,but the flat sensor for the speedo is not activated by a magnet,but from the 6 disc screws.The hole is for a KTM EXC magnet to work with an ICO,or similar.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #6568
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
We have designed a replacement solid front disc,300mm,to suit the KTM 690 Enduro which has a hole to accept the KTM EXC magnet & circlip,to line up with the M8 tapped hole in the caliper mount.
This will enable an ICO to be used without having to drill the existing floating disc,or glue a magnet on.

We also have a rear disc designed to offer as a straight replacement for the OEM item.

These are expected to be available by end January.

Another spin-off is they will fit KTM 950/990 Adventure models,all 690 & 450 Rallye.

Can you make a solid rear rotor for the 690? I have a Moose solid rear disc for my 500 and love it for enduro, my pads last much longer now.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #6569
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
It will fit,but the flat sensor for the speedo is not activated by a magnet,but from the 6 disc screws.The hole is for a KTM EXC magnet to work with an ICO,or similar.
Hello - I must buy an ICO Racing 'Checkmate' computer to compete in an event in 2014 aboard a '12 690R. Do I want your front disk to make it easier?

Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #6570
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,004
Brass fuel line quick disconnect

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon1.html
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote