Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #6631
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
I have the RR soft luggage racks. Very stout pieces for sure. I honestly have not had the opportunity to employ them loaded up yet, but one of the reasons I chose them over something like the Wolfmans, is the design.

The Wolfman racks look like they will allow more of the weight to be carried/ suspended by the tank/ subframe, that one piece of tube from the peg mount looks too close to parallel with the ground to allow it to carry most of the weight on the peg mount without giving in to the stresses created by riding offroad, thereby making the tank/ tank mounting area look more vulnerable to being damaged. Whereas the RR racks look as though they will transfer much more of the load to the footpeg mounting area.

Just my .02
I have loaded my Wolfman a few times on my 690 and much more on my WR250R. There is no need for the rear crossbar if you pack soft bags, but it is worth emailing berg@brmoto.com to ask first hand. He makes the racks.

Berg's crossbar is for those who will mount bigger hard bags. Personally, my kit is down to 35# including camp and spares. I can go for a week or a month because the gear is the same.

The TT rack is the biggest monstrosity ever made for such a sweetly designed motorcycle. Go clean and simple. More durable too. No broken tubes and mounts. I would never mount such a contraption on any motorcycle.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #6632
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
And Santa has something for you....

Just in case you have some Xmas money still in your pocket....

Rear Ohlins shock: http://www.ktmtwins.com/ohlins-ktm-2...o-r-rear-shock

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #6633
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
RR tanks hold up pretty good...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #6634
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

They need a spell checker
Old 12-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #6635
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biped View Post
RR tanks hold up pretty good...

So, why didn't the shooter roll into a concealed position while reloading in the prone position? Seems like he was always exposed while reloading, which is fine, cardboard doesn't shoot back
Old 12-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #6636
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,958
Center Stand 690R

I have been in contact with a gentlemen named Martin. He has been working on a center stand for the 690 the last couple months. Well today I was his first customer and purchased his center stand for my 690.
I plan on riding my bike this upcoming year into Mexico and the Copper Canyon area. As these trips when I venture to this area are not gnarly type rough terrain, I dont anticipate it hindering upon any obstacles. Also having a center stand greatly helps in fixing flats, both front and rear, depending on where one places weight to raise whichever end.
I am planning on converting my 690 to a more Adventure Lite, installing a RR front tanks and a fairing, and keeping the single track for the dedicated EXC dirt bikes.
After I install the unit and take it out for some real world testing, I'll give you my opinion of how it works out for me.
Shameless plug for Martin and his endeavor here http://lostdogproducts.com/
Happy Holiday's
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #6637
DirtWarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
I have been in contact with a gentlemen named Martin. He has been working on a center stand for the 690 the last couple months. Well today I was his first customer and purchased his center stand for my 690.
I plan on riding my bike this upcoming year into Mexico and the Copper Canyon area. As these trips when I venture to this area are not gnarly type rough terrain, I dont anticipate it hindering upon any obstacles. Also having a center stand greatly helps in fixing flats, both front and rear, depending on where one places weight to raise whichever end.
I am planning on converting my 690 to a more Adventure Lite, installing a RR front tanks and a fairing, and keeping the single track for the dedicated EXC dirt bikes.
After I install the unit and take it out for some real world testing, I'll give you my opinion of how it works out for me.
Shameless plug for Martin and his endeavor here http://lostdogproducts.com/
Happy Holiday's
Keep us posted about this bike stand.

Nick
DirtWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #6638
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
So, why didn't the shooter roll into a concealed position while reloading in the prone position? Seems like he was always exposed while reloading, which is fine, cardboard doesn't shoot back
Wow, not one, but TWO uber lame video's!!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #6639
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Wow, not one, but TWO uber lame video's!!
whoa, the video changed Looks like a bit too much rebound on the rear shock, made her donkey kick.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #6640
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post

I've been keeping an eye on the development of a rear ohlins for the 690 for a while now and that ad has way too little info to drop that much coin. The shock pictured isn't even for the 690 either. Rally raid shows pictures of their prototype ohlins in their blog and when I asked about it a while back I was told that it would be close to the $1400 range. While $900ish sounds a lot better I'd like to know exactly what the specs are along with some pictures of the actual product. Also since these are usually custom ordered will they come valved per customer or will one have to pay to have it valved to their taste additionally?

I'm already $600 into my modded rear r shock but it still isn't quite "there" and I'm on the verge of sending it out for another revalve/ rebuild... I'd rather put that money towards the ohlins unit and try to recoup some of the costs of my r shock so I'm going to hold out a little longer and see how the ohlins turns out.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #6641
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
Unfortunately the Ohlins shock is not a TTX type.
Its a monotube design which is basically a copy of the std WP unit, without seeing and testing one I cant comment if it will be an improvement or not.
I'm like you and have invested time and money into the WP shock and have also looked into using the 450rr shock but this again reqiures some substantial mods to get it to fit,let alone a complete new linkage.

I think Rally Raid put their shock on hold once they heard that Ohlins were doing a factory built shock but now may start developing it again as this new shock from Ohlins which in my view will not be a worth while improvent over the std one.

I've also now got 302mm of travel from the R shock using some special spacers internally and revalved to 450RR spec using the info supplid by the factory, its working well but only full race testing will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I've been keeping an eye on the development of a rear ohlins for the 690 for a while now and that ad has way too little info to drop that much coin. The shock pictured isn't even for the 690 either. Rally raid shows pictures of their prototype ohlins in their blog and when I asked about it a while back I was told that it would be close to the $1400 range. While $900ish sounds a lot better I'd like to know exactly what the specs are along with some pictures of the actual product. Also since these are usually custom ordered will they come valved per customer or will one have to pay to have it valved to their taste additionally?

I'm already $600 into my modded rear r shock but it still isn't quite "there" and I'm on the verge of sending it out for another revalve/ rebuild... I'd rather put that money towards the ohlins unit and try to recoup some of the costs of my r shock so I'm going to hold out a little longer and see how the ohlins turns out.

beaney screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 01:43 AM
beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 AM   #6642
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Öhlins

Got one on order. Hopefully will have it right after the hollidays.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #6643
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaney View Post
Unfortunately the Ohlins shock is not a TTX type.
Its a monotube design which is basically a copy of the std WP unit, without seeing and testing one I cant comment if it will be an improvement or not.
I'm like you and have invested time and money into the WP shock and have also looked into using the 450rr shock but this again reqiures some substantial mods to get it to fit,let alone a complete new linkage.

I think Rally Raid put their shock on hold once they heard that Ohlins were doing a factory built shock but now may start developing it again as this new shock from Ohlins which in my view will not be a worth while improvent over the std one.

I've also now got 302mm of travel from the R shock using some special spacers internally and revalved to 450RR spec using the info supplid by the factory, its working well but only full race testing will tell.
I agree that if is just a monotube that it wouldn't be a worthwhile improvement over the wp shock. I have a monotube ohlins rear shock on my gasgas and it is nothing to write home about... mine doesn't even have a separate high speed compression adjuster!

Is the 450rr unit twin tube?

Did you relocate your rear master cylinder to get 302mm travel? Mine is set at 285-290mm and the swingarm gets pretty darned close to the master cylinder. If I'm going to go back inside of my shock this would be worth trying out.

I'm trying to really narrow down the changes I want to make to my current shim stack but I'm not positive how to get there. The comp is only 4 clicks out (this is after adding a lot more to the shim stack) and I still need a tiny bit more. I'd also like to get significantly more bottoming resistance without ruining my current stack's progressiveness. So the question is: what is the best way to approach these changes? Larger/ thicker clamp? Just add a couple more face shim's?

I'll tell ya my crf450 was easy to get the results that I was after probably due to there being exponentially more info/ tuners out there that already ironed out the details... the bike being 80lbs lighter didn't hurt either! I think the 690 can get there but it will be more trial and error (and $$$) on the end users to get it right. Supply and demand right?
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #6644
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Biped,
Please don't confuse moto vids w/ wanna-be shoot-em-up vids.....not everybody is interested in guys shooting cardboard

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #6645
Biped
NooB Again

Oddometer: 239
Post nuked,
Apologies to all, seems YouTube embed script was hosed..