User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #6691
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,725
Terminology

Hey guys. I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on the 2012 690 R. One of the benefits that is important to me of the 2012 model is the lower seat height. However, when in my reading about the 2012 model I come across the term 2012MY. Can someone please help me understand what MY stands for? Is it Mid Year? If so, was there a second model 2012 that was released mid year? Thanks. SuchesRider
Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #6692
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post
Hey guys. I have been doing quite a bit of research recently on the 2012 690 R. One of the benefits that is important to me of the 2012 model is the lower seat height. However, when in my reading about the 2012 model I come across the term 2012MY. Can someone please help me understand what MY stands for? Is it Mid Year? If so, was there a second model 2012 that was released mid year? Thanks. SuchesRider

MY means Model Year, nothing more. There is no mid year second model offered.
Go buy one and have the time of your life. Enjoy!
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #6693
tdreyer
KTiM

Oddometer: 504
BD Squadron

Try thishttp://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=283 I run my Squadron on the street for the last 2 months and am nervous @ 40% around Leo's. At 40% I still get way more light than my Stocker with a chinese HID And compared to my TT X2 the Squadron is drop dead reliable and even better light. If the numbers in the link are correct then the power savings is stellar anywhere south of 80% and more light you could not ask for.

Yes, I like my light a lot

Edit: can't do a link on my tablet

"04625 SXC
'04 625 SMC 76,xxx mi.
'97 CR500 Sold
tdreyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #6694
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Hey, thought these might interest some of you that need to stay warm on the bike.....

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/heated-gear

Say these at a supplier of mine and they look like a viable solution for those with not a lot of surplus stator power. A friend of mine has one and he raves about it. lasts 3 hours on the medium setting and 2 on the high setting. Could be a great first layer with a good coat over top and bring a few batteries with you. The 12v batteries are readily available at your favorite home center.
I gave one of those to my wife last Christmas and she loves it. Only problem I can see with using it on the bike is carrying the spare batteries and the off chance you land on the battery in a crash- the battery pocket is right over your left kidney.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #6695
RoninMoto
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,680
Available Electrical Power of the 690

I've posted this here before but I'll do it again to help out the non-electrical nerds

In planning for my trip I needed to find how much Electrical power the 690 produces and uses. So i measured the current with from the battery with no stator connected and no headlight.

P= I*V. (Power = Current * Voltage)
My old 2010 used about 6 amps (72Watts) to run the motor and the stock tail light. I called it 80 to give a fudge factor

225 Watt stator - 80Watts = 145 for everything else.

So. now on my 2008, this is what I have.

Grips high/low 44/24 Watts
Headlight high/low 55/35 watts. high beam and low beam run at the same time so high beam uses 90 watts. Both are HID50.com.
Jacket is 75 watts

So.. you can basically add up your watts and just make sure you stay under 145. Measure current *12 v to get your Power consumption on something that you don't know.
Facebook------------> https://www.facebook.com/RtwWithNoah
RoninMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 AM   #6696
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 14,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
I gave one of those to my wife last Christmas and she loves it. Only problem I can see with using it on the bike is carrying the spare batteries and the off chance you land on the battery in a crash- the battery pocket is right over your left kidney.
Thats true but in reality, there are lots of things that will hurt you in a crash... the road, the handlebars, foot pegs.... etc etc etc.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #6697
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
Thats true but in reality, there are lots of things that will hurt you in a crash... the road, the handlebars, foot pegs.... etc etc etc.
True, but no sense needlessly adding to the carnage. Got a bud that crashed a few years ago and managed to break a couple ribs on is little P&S camera that was in his jacket pocket.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #6698
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
True, but no sense needlessly adding to the carnage. Got a bud that crashed a few years ago and managed to break a couple ribs on is little P&S camera that was in his jacket pocket.
No argument here What scares me more are the folding mirrors that are in fashion around here, just waiting to stick you on the way over the bars.
Another vote for the HDB mirrors that tuck behind the hand guards.

I was on the MX track a few years ago, when I landed off a double and caught a bar end in the stomach....ooooh baby, that hurt like hell. I kept riding but it still hurt
Old 12-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #6699
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,605
Which LED tail light are you using?

I just ordered a complete assembly for my '08E because the guy at my LMS said just the lens was not available. I'd prefer a LED arrangement because the OEM arrangement burns out bulbs and breaks lenses due to vibration.

Also... regarding grips, the ProGrip 780 was for many years my favorite grip, with the 714 being a close second.

http://lnx.progrip.com/site/product/780

My new favorite grips are Spider Grips.

http://www.spidergrips.com/
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #6700
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Which LED tail light are you using?

I just ordered a complete assembly for my '08E because the guy at my LMS said just the lens was not available. I'd prefer a LED arrangement because the OEM arrangement burns out bulbs and breaks lenses due to vibration.

Also... regarding grips, the ProGrip 780 was for many years my favorite grip, with the 714 being a close second.

http://lnx.progrip.com/site/product/780

My new favorite grips are Spider Grips.

http://www.spidergrips.com/
http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-endu...ght-and-fender

uses the standard LED tail light from the Bergs and KTM dirt bikes
Old 12-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #6701
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,508
Anyone tried the 500 EXC LED tail light instead of the XC-W tail light?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #6702
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 452
I haven't heard anyone talk amount the Coleman ATV seat cover on the 690, so I decided to try it out.
For $20, it's pretty good. You can buy it from Walmart or Amazon.com.I have one on my Versys and I really like it. I've done 8,000miles on that seat cover, including one 800mile day. It probably isn't as good as a $300 seat, but this seat cover should hold me over for a while. I stopped caring about getting an aftermarket seat on the Versys.
As with anything seat related, YMMV !

The seat cover has high-density foam in blocks, with empty channels between them. Supposedly this helps circulate air around your butt. The foam is about 1/4 an inch high. The cover will fade in the sun over time and absorb water when wet. Beside that, it has held up just fine on my Versys.

I had to break the buckles off the straps and just tie the seat cover onto the stock seat. One drawback is that under the seat, the straps go tight across, and I think it won't let me put my iphone under there. I like to charge my phone under the seat. So I need to rethink my charging options.
Oh yeah, don't forget to rip the dorky Coleman tag sewn onto the cover.
I hope this helps someone.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 07:18 PM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #6703
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post

I haven't heard anyone talk amount the Coleman ATV seat cover on the 690, so I decided to try it out.
For $20, it's pretty good. You can buy it from Walmart or Amazon.com.I have one on my Versys and I really like it. I've done 8,000miles on that seat cover, including one 800mile day. It probably isn't as good as a $300 seat, but this seat cover should hold me over for a while. I stopped caring about getting an aftermarket seat on the Versys.
This looks like a good idea.
Could you post a few more pics?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #6704
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,987
The Corbin is a big improvement, and for long rides I have an Alaska Leather DS sheep skin that made a 1400 mile multi day ride on my stock seat 450EXC doable.
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #6705
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,995
Evo 1 or Evo 2 tanks
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote