Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #6841
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuu View Post
Though it would effect the running over all - has the fuel filter been replaced? The injector cleaned?
I recently replaced by fuel filter at 4XXX miles and it was in terrible condition. Not long after I sent out the injector for a pro cleaning. When I got it back the notes stated that the plastic screen was coming apart and there was filter debris in the injector and the spray pattern before service was noted a 'poor'
Can't assure there was any fuel filter change, and hardly the injector was ever cleaned, however can't relate those to this specific behavior.

Engine start and idle is very consistent.

Nevertheless, we both have quite similar bikes and my buddy's bike noticeably pulls less strong than mine. It vibrates less but feels significant weaker. Final drive ratio on his (15/47) is a bit longer than mine (14/45), but from my knowledge this difference wouldn't make his bike so much weaker than mine.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6842
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,459
First, unless your bikes are setup exactly similar I wouldn't compare them, each bike is different enough in stock trim and comparing two similar but not exact setups can cause a person to chase the wrong troubleshooting variables.

Basically we need to find the problem so lets be methodical. Did this problem appear out of the blue or after some change? Did the bike ever not stall?
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #6843
yuu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Not trying to say that the filter or injector is the root cause. Just issues than could make an existing fueling issue harder to deal with.

And his final ratio should make it feel *more* grunty and powerful. One would run out of RPMs earlier but pick up more quickly. So if you two had the same final drive, his would feel further weaker.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #6844
Gustavo.Ramos
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
First, unless your bikes are setup exactly similar I wouldn't compare them, each bike is different enough in stock trim and comparing two similar but not exact setups can cause a person to chase the wrong troubleshooting variables.

Basically we need to find the problem so lets be methodical. Did this problem appear out of the blue or after some change? Did the bike ever not stall?
Well it was not an exact comparison, but the fact is that there is an issue with the idling just when the throttle is cut and the clutch pulled.

The comparison between bikes engine response was related to yuu's query on fuel filter service and injector cleaning, as in fact we noticed different behavior with his bike pulling significant less.

BTW, thanks for the link in your signture, was not awar of a ktm690 info.

Quote:
Not trying to say that the filter or injector is the root cause. Just issues than could make an existing fueling issue harder to deal with.

And his final ratio should make it feel *more* grunty and powerful. One would run out of RPMs earlier but pick up more quickly. So if you two had the same final drive, his would feel further weaker.
Agree, still it's a valid point as i'm in the auto industry and have seen quite a few problems related to injector condition.

I stand corrected on your calculation. His bike situation is worse than expected.

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #6845
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo.Ramos View Post

A friend's 690'10 Enduro R has this weird behavior:

when closing the throttle and pulling the clutch, the idle drops so low that sometimes the engine stall... This does not happen always, sometimes the revs drop low but still it manages to keep working.

Upon some testing the idle drops but slowly (maybe the idle stepper motor) gets the revs back to normal idle.
Quote:

Aaah - the slip-on is the original cause. The less restrictive pipe doesn't give enough back pressure.

I have the same problem (2012 690 R), and came to a similar conclusion - not always, but occasionally - e.g. brake and clutch hard before a corner, and chuggs right down low +/- stalls - mine also resulted in a flashing oil pressure light, which persists for a while - oil pressure tested and OK.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #6846
mickd
crash test dummie

Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I have the same problem (2012 690 R), and came to a similar conclusion - not always, but occasionally - e.g. brake and clutch hard before a corner, and chuggs right down low +/- stalls - mine also resulted in a flashing oil pressure light, which persists for a while - oil pressure tested and OK.
check with your dealer as there is a brand new mapping just come out from ktm for this,

mickd

I've just been to my first muslim birthday party. Musical chairs was a bit slow but F**k me, pass the parcel was bloody quick.
mickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #6847
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
After a Wings exhaust install, I updated my FI map to match Beanys suggestion and have no stalling but also runs a little fat for my tastes. In TuneECU my F-L switch is set to 10,10,0,0,0,0,0,0 and the FTrim is 4%.

Conversely, the Akro and stock map F-L Switch is 20,35,39,39,39,39,39,39 and the FTrim is 0%.

Maybe the butterflys are closing (because of the F-L switch values) and choking the engine off???

Probably going to FTrim at 2% very soon.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #6848
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,466
I just picked up a 2009 690R with 8800 miles.

It seems she was pretty much a street bike.
She already has a Safari tank and a custom Corbin seat. (Never knew they did custom) Very comfy.
I've already ordered in a FMF Q4.
Next on a long list of things to be resolved is the headlight.
What have you guys been doing about that POS BA20 bulb? I saw a note about a possible mod to put a H4 in there. Anybody know the details?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #6849
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I just picked up a 2009 690R with 8800 miles.

It seems she was pretty much a street bike.
She already has a Safari tank and a custom Corbin seat. (Never knew they did custom) Very comfy.
I've already ordered in a FMF Q4.
Next on a long list of things to be resolved is the headlight.
What have you guys been doing about that POS BA20 bulb? I saw a note about a possible mod to put a H4 in there. Anybody know the details?
Hey I know that bike... I'm pretty sure that was owned by a police officer in Santa Maria and was on consignment at Santa Barbara Motorsports?

As far as the appliance lightbulb, you can change the entire headlight to the much better 2008/2012 version and get not only an H4 bulb but a much better reflector that is DOT approved to boot. I opted to change to a 7" round light but the stock 08/12 light is actually pretty good and with a bulb upgrade is totally acceptable.

KTM part numbers for light to follow...

headlight housing: 76514001000

wiring harness (plugs right in): 76511079000

mask (orange): 7650800100004

brakeline guide: 76513025000

I believe the misc hardware from your existing light can be reused for adjustment screws, mounting, etc. This setup should come out to ~$150

At a similar pricepoint and light output you can get a Trailtech X2 that allows the hi/low beams to be on at the same time and the housing lends itself well to HID conversions: http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-ds-halogen-kits.html this light is also a straight plug in to your 690

The Letter J screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:33 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #6850
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Yup that the bike. That PO took really nice care of the bike. Lots of stuff done. Much more to do. Along with the headlight is to raise the suspension back up and put heavy springs on for my Fat Arse.
Hmm replace the headlight assembly. Maybe so as the final product. I would like to use the existing for now. Spend my money on the other dirt stuff needed.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6851
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Hey I know that bike... I'm pretty sure that was owned by a police officer in Santa Maria and was on consignment at Santa Barbara Motorsports?

As far as the appliance lightbulb, you can change the entire headlight to the much better 2008/2012 version and get not only an H4 bulb but a much better reflector that is DOT approved to boot. I opted to change to a 7" round light but the stock 08/12 light is actually pretty good and with a bulb upgrade is totally acceptable.

KTM part numbers for light to follow...

headlight housing: 76514001000

wiring harness (plugs right in): 76511079000

mask (orange): 7650800100004

brakeline guide: 76513025000

I believe the misc hardware from your existing light can be reused for adjustment screws, mounting, etc. This setup should come out to ~$150

At a similar pricepoint and light output you can get a Trailtech X2 that allows the hi/low beams to be on at the same time and the housing lends itself well to HID conversions: http://trailtech.net/ktm-x2-ds-halogen-kits.html this light is also a straight plug in to your 690
Thank you.

I don't think much of the TT X2. I had one that I was going to put on my 525. Not nearly as much light as the standard Baja Designs rectangle headlight. I'm not sure I could go so far as to put one of those on my new Ginger. Been considering the big 7 or 8 inch units as well. Is yours hi/lo?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 01-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #6852
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Thank you.

I don't think much of the TT X2. I had one that I was going to put on my 525. Not nearly as much light as the standard Baja Designs rectangle headlight. I'm not sure I could go so far as to put one of those on my new Ginger. Been considering the big 7 or 8 inch units as well. Is yours hi/lo?
I have an H-4 690 light and a HID 690 light That will fit in that mask
I also have a Leo Vance rear pipe section and a Scotts Stablizer tower and a Tourtech bash plate and Disc shark fin.
I will sell you send me a PM
Welcome to the 690 club
Old 01-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #6853
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Anybody got some heavy FF springs sitting around? 90 or 100 rear and maybe 60 for the front.

Yes, I plan on getting the new spring collar before installing that rear.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #6854
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
I have a complete set of Trail tricks reworked forks I may trade+$
Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #6855
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Mark, You are killing me.
Send me a PM with your complete list of available 690 stuff. Should only take a page or two.
Did you get my txt?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI