User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #7126
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,303
Purdy.
I wish there was another group buy going on.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #7127
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
You can't spend 5 minutes with the case protector and a bench grinder grinding the inside of the curved part to make them fit and flip the axle block 180 degrees like you can on the 640's with the same chain length if you're running the 15 or the 17 tooth front?

Maybe if someone else knows about flipping the axle spacer block around they could chime in.

Dirty
Yeah, you can flip the axle blocks around... easy peasy. I have mine flipped for more room since I've got a shorter chain. 16/44 on my SMC with a 114 link chain.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #7128
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Purdy.
I wish there was another group buy going on.
I'd be interested if someone is putting together another group buy, or if someone has one they did not use and want to sell, PM me please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Yeah, you can flip the axle blocks around... easy peasy. I have mine flipped for more room since I've got a shorter chain. 16/44 on my SMC with a 114 link chain.
+1, I flip the blocks for use with my SUMO set up too. 15/45 to 15/42.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #7129
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
Santa brought me a set of E12 side bags and I have them mounted just in front of the Touratech hard bag mounts.

Storage space for day trips and tools between the two side bags almost gives me the same space as the Wolftail tail bag I used on the 640A I just sold. I got the E12's because I have plans on adding the 1.75 gal Rotopax can to the SWMotech rear rack and didn't want to run the risk damaging the rear of the bike with the added weight of the fuel can and the tail bag.

You want a picture?

Dirty
Yes please.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #7130
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Ive had a 17 with the cover on ok, Had the same idear but .to do the 15-17 tooth thing you'll have to add/remove a link
Did you not have to modify the cover to get it to fit?

15 and 17 works fine. Just flip the adjusters as others have said. FYI 118 links works with 15/50 and 17/50.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #7131
iMoto
08 690E, 11Ninja1000

Oddometer: 6
690 Slave cylinder

Wayne over at DualSportWarehouse has the Oberon slave cylinder for the 690 if you are interested.

http://dualsportwarehouse.com/OBERON...-OBERONLC4.htm
Old 02-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #7132
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Flashing oil light

I have a 2012 690R with about 4,000km on the clock – Arapovic, but standard air filter (Twin Air filter kit from RR currently wending its way across the Pacific ... ).

For the last 1,500km or so I’ve had an intermittently flashing oil light – pressure test OK – happens when slowing down to stop, and at idle – continues at idle unless you give it some revs ...

I suspect that the Akrapovic map is not perfect, allowing the bike to idle lower than it should ...

I was cheered by a post on this thread from a compatriot Aussie re’ new Akrapovic map (circa 12/1/13 [English date format]) – but have just had the bike in at the shop and the map fitted (last three digits I think 423) is apparently the current one – the more recent map (last digits I think 424) is specifically for aftermarket exhaust / air filter / high-end cam – I have the standard cam, and the shop thought this map would not be appropriate ...

I noticed that the map loaded (again, last three digits 423) specified an aftermarket air filter – this should arrive from RR next week, and I have small hopes that it will resolve the problem ...

That notwithstanding, have any others had this problem?

If so, any ideas?

The bike is still under warranty ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #7133
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,018
I had exactly the same problem and it started about the same time too. It took 2-3 weeks to find the problem under warranty. After replacing a variety of parts, it turned out that at the first oil/filter change, the tech installed an oil filter intended for a 2011 model.

This was last August. There were no service manuals for the 2012 models at the time and the tech was unaware they changed filter designs. No problem since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Flashing oil light

I have a 2012 690R with about 4,000km on the clock – Arapovic, but standard air filter (Twin Air filter kit from RR currently wending its way across the Pacific ... ).

For the last 1,500km or so I’ve had an intermittently flashing oil light – pressure test OK – happens when slowing down to stop, and at idle – continues at idle unless you give it some revs ...

I suspect that the Akrapovic map is not perfect, allowing the bike to idle lower than it should ...

I was cheered by a post on this thread from a compatriot Aussie re’ new Akrapovic map (circa 12/1/13 [English date format]) – but have just had the bike in at the shop and the map fitted (last three digits I think 423) is apparently the current one – the more recent map (last digits I think 424) is specifically for aftermarket exhaust / air filter / high-end cam – I have the standard cam, and the shop thought this map would not be appropriate ...

I noticed that the map loaded (again, last three digits 423) specified an aftermarket air filter – this should arrive from RR next week, and I have small hopes that it will resolve the problem ...

That notwithstanding, have any others had this problem?

If so, any ideas?

The bike is still under warranty ...
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #7134
daniel5600
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Hoots,
I have the Leo Vince with standard air filter.
The dealer loaded an Akra map originally, but the bike ran shitty, idle was really low, it'd stall often and sometimes just searched for a good idle speed.
I took it back to them and they loaded another, no idea what it is, they just said its another recommended one. Much better now, idle is smooth and noticeably higher, no problems since the new map.
Sorry I dont know what the map is.
daniel5600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #7135
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Nice! Is that a rubbermaid screen?

On another note, can you post a couple of pics of your bike from the side & back with the bags on? Are the cases Pelican 1550s? I have been looking at making that setup.

Thanks,

MrHix

That is indeed a rubbermaid! I was shaking, wet and cold @ Target when I bought it and they just gave it to me..

Sorry I can't get any pics of the cases right now as the bikes out of the country (or I am depending on your perspective). They are 1550's with the KTM hardparts rack. Quick thoughts on the set up:

Waterproof and tough
Fairly easy to access the box on the side OPPOSITE the kickstand, but if I did it over I'd have a top loader on the kickstand side.
I can pick the bike off the ground with the pelican handles so pretty impressed there.
Off road they often smash my foot; even worse they encourage bad riding habits to keep from smashing foot again; at the same time they do protect the bike in a fall (and maybe your leg too).
I put reflectors on the bike and it probably makes the back of the bike 3X as visible to approaching traffic.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #7136
transplanted
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Nice! Is that a rubbermaid screen?

On another note, can you post a couple of pics of your bike from the side & back with the bags on? Are the cases Pelican 1550s? I have been looking at making that setup.

Thanks,

MrHix
Not the 1550's like Ricky's but the 1500

transplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #7137
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Thanks for the input folks.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #7138
tonykof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2010 KTM 690 Enduro R and can't reach the ground when I sit on the thing (GREAT fun to ride though). I'm curious about the lowering link that's available for it and what are people's experiences.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-lowering-link

I'm 5'10 with a 31" inseam. I sat on a 2013 model at the bike show (yesterday in fact) and I am on my toes which I'm totally fine with. I know KTM lowered the bike 25mm for the newer models and it seems that my 2010 needs to come down the same (or 1 inch which is basically 25mm).

Anyone have any input or reviews they know of?

Thanks a ton!
I have the lowering link on mine & it works fine...I still need to shorten my kickstand so it will lean over a little more...
Yamaha WR250F
tonykof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #7139
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel5600 View Post
Hoots,
I have the Leo Vince with standard air filter.
The dealer loaded an Akra map originally, but the bike ran shitty, idle was really low, it'd stall often and sometimes just searched for a good idle speed.
I took it back to them and they loaded another, no idea what it is, they just said its another recommended one. Much better now, idle is smooth and noticeably higher, no problems since the new map.
Sorry I dont know what the map is.
Thanks - sounds familiar - would be great if you were able to find out the map that was loaded - lots of them to chose from ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #7140
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonykof View Post
I have the lowering link on mine & it works fine...I still need to shorten my kickstand so it will lean over a little more...
I've no experience with the lowering links but just thought I'd mention I was amazed how much better my '11 does over washboardy type terrain, big hits, stairs etc than the 08 and the whole time I'm riding it I'm thinking it that the difference 1" of travel made in the rear end? I've no idea if lower links would take it back to the 08 harshness or not,...
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote