ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #7351
lightfighter
where does this go?
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Sierra Vista AZ.
Oddometer: 2,291
Cool...

Yellowpig turned me onto a dimmer setup that looks pretty cool, the skene design, did you use a dimmer by any chance? Which one?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #7352
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez
 
dirty_sanchez's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Louisiana, Baton Rouge
Oddometer: 2,991
Baja Dad- Check your PM, speedy delivery is on the way.

Dirty
__________________
No, really, the mustache means I love you.
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #7353
francs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Ljubljana Slovenija
Oddometer: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Cheers. So 42 rear will bring me close to stock.

Why? might have access to a spare rear wheel so easy to swap out depending on the type of riding I'm going to be doing.
It's 6 "links" difference, will chain fit?
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 AM   #7354
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently SE Asia on the way to OZ
Oddometer: 5,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Cool...

Yellowpig turned me onto a dimmer setup that looks pretty cool, the skene design, did you use a dimmer by any chance? Which one?
I have the latest Skene dimmer -IQ 175 - on order for my Squadron (soon to be dual), should be getting here today. From my research I liked the functionality of this one the best, and all the reviews are very good. I would just lose or break the BD remote dimmer.
__________________
Currently going RTW on a KTM 690 Rally, trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #7355
ten.98
...leave a trail
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
It will fit ALL KTM 2008 THRU 2012 and Now 2013
I just installed this light into my Rally Raid EVO2 faring !!!!!!
Has anyone actually installed one of these on a 2012? I trashed my front mask and headlight recently and wanted to replace it with a BD Squadron, but after doing some research it didn't appear to the the proper shape to fit into the 2012 mask. I called BD directly and they said they didn't have any data on it and could not guarantee compatibility. Ended up going with a X2 instead. Would have rather gone with the Squadron, but bike isn't streetable without a front light and didn't want to delay getting it back on the road by buying a $300 light that may not fit properly.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #7356
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Carburetted can be spelt both ways in the US, but only one way anywhere else – I was astonished when living over there to discover how few Americans have passports, but if any of you do think of travelling then maybe keep the spelling in mind ...

And Seth we seem now to be in agreement re’ my original point: viz the complexity of the 690 – I explain that the local shop is fortunately one of Australia’s oldest (and largest) KTM dealers, and has been servicing EFI bikes since their introduction (BTW: they also sell and service Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) – and yet you suggest that even these people may not be up to the task of diagnosing the problem with my 690 – additional expertise may be required – if true, is this really a bike you want to take out into the bush?

On all fronts, time will tell ...

I love riding the bike, there’s no denying that – but I’m not sure that it’s the whole package for ADV riders – perhaps I’ll have no other probs once this issue is resolved ...

__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #7357
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 4,144
I spent last night comparing the fork inners between my 2003 525EXC & my 690R. I'm so very happy with the plushness of my 525 forks.

1st thing I find out, the cartridge is smaller on the 690. Whoops. I guess this will not be a direct copy of the shim stacks. It took me up until late last night to figure out how the 2 different diameter stacks compared. Got It!
I found I can closely match my 525 shim stack functions with all the existing shims in the 690.

Other items to be figured out. My 525 uses .48 springs. The 690 .52 stock. I will give my old set 0f .48 from my 950 a run for a bit.

Next difference is the oil level. Hmmm, the 690 had 115mm, the 525 is 140mm. Any thoughts on a good starting point? I was thinking of starting at 120mm.
__________________
Tom-2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #7358
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer
 
Baja Dad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Norco California
Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I spent last night comparing the fork inners between my 2003 525EXC & my 690R. I'm so very happy with the plushness of my 525 forks.

1st thing I find out, the cartridge is smaller on the 690. Whoops. I guess this will not be a direct copy of the shim stacks. It took me up until late last night to figure out how the 2 different diameter stacks compared. Got It!
I found I can closely match my 525 shim stack functions with all the existing shims in the 690.

Other items to be figured out. My 525 uses .48 springs. The 690 .52 stock. I will give my old set 0f .48 from my 950 a run for a bit.

Next difference is the oil level. Hmmm, the 690 had 115mm, the 525 is 140mm. Any thoughts on a good starting point? I was thinking of starting at 120mm.
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number
__________________
2015 support: Multitool,GPS IMS Aurora Rally Kriega, Raiden LS2, Helmets,
100Goggles,SIDI,Seat Concepts, Precision Concepts, MX1West,Dunlop
Baja Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #7359
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number
Crankshaft has a set of the SXS forks on his bike...you will have to check with him on how he positioned the forks. I think RRUK was working on a longer rear shock option...as in 300 mm travel vs 250mm? which I think the R is....or maybe the E is 250mm and the R is 280mm...either way they were working on an even longer one
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:47 AM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #7360
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Carburetted can be spelt both ways in the US, but only one way anywhere else – I was astonished when living over there to discover how few Americans have passports, but if any of you do think of travelling then maybe keep the spelling in mind ...

And Seth we seem now to be in agreement re’ my original point: viz the complexity of the 690 – I explain that the local shop is fortunately one of Australia’s oldest (and largest) KTM dealers, and has been servicing EFI bikes since their introduction (BTW: they also sell and service Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) – and yet you suggest that even these people may not be up to the task of diagnosing the problem with my 690 – additional expertise may be required – if true, is this really a bike you want to take out into the bush?

On all fronts, time will tell ...

I love riding the bike, there’s no denying that – but I’m not sure that it’s the whole package for ADV riders – perhaps I’ll have no other probs once this issue is resolved ...
The 690 is not an ADV bike at all.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #7361
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number
Oh yeah, Forgot to take the OA length into consideration. I'll take a measurement and use that difference to choose a level.
I'm pretty confident the forks will have similar curves when I'm done. I was very happy find I didn't have to gather up any shims. I have all I need.
I took pics of how the stacks lay out. and recorded the values. I know where each fork was and where I want to go.
The stock shim stack on the 690 is pretty linear and progressively hard. It starts much harder than my 525. I could easily see why my initial hit was so harsh. Heavy thick shim stock.

I did figure out a little trick to putting the rebound piston back into the cartridge. I used an o-ring to hold the piston ring in place. When I push it in the o ring drops off.
__________________
Tom-2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #7362
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart
 
dad2bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Oddometer: 4,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Crankshaft has a set of the SXS forks on his bike...you will have to check with him on how he positioned the forks. I think RRUK was working on a longer rear shock option...as in 300 mm travel vs 250mm? which I think the R is....or maybe the E is 250mm and the R is 280mm...either way they were working on an even longer one
I surely don't want to raise up my 690. I'm on my toes as it is.

I'm looking at what I can do with some old PDS springs I have. I do believe I can fit one in there. I'm thinking that would give me the plush start and harder spring as I get farther thru the stroke.
__________________
Tom-2006 950 Adventure "Big Orange", 2009 690R "Ginger",2003 525 EXC
My2Wheels
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7363
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!
 
Seth S's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: sanity?
Oddometer: 4,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I surely don't want to raise up my 690. I'm on my toes as it is.

I'm looking at what I can do with some old PDS springs I have. I do believe I can fit one in there. I'm thinking that would give me the plush start and harder spring as I get farther thru the stroke.

doesn't matter how tall the bike is once you are rolling. A friend of mine is about 5'9" tall and he has a 530 and an XR650 and rides both offroad very well. When he stops he puts one foot down and hangs the other leg off the seat.
__________________
Seth S

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7364
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies
 
crankshaft's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Burlingtron,VT
Oddometer: 14,005
I lowered my SXS forks to match the stock forks + 1/4"
An extra 3/4 inch didn't seem worth the hassle or expense. My 690 isnt a motox bike and its just fine on quad trail and dirt roads. I could gain a lot more performance by losing 10 more pounds and thats free

The closed chamber forks made a huge difference, especially for what I ride that the extra effort seemed moot. If someone comes up with a cheap, reliable way to raise the rear shock, then I'll pull the forks back to 300mm.
__________________
Just say'IN
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #7365
migrator
Gnarly Adventurer
 
migrator's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Buford, GA
Oddometer: 209
Hello all. Question about a 2010 690 for you.


Rode the bike to/from work yesterday. It ran normal. When I go to leave for work this morning it starts right up runs fine I put it in gear and it dies. Start it back up, make sure the clutch is pulled all the way in, kick stand is up, put it in gear and again it dies.

Did my sidestand switch die overnight?
__________________
IBA - 34422
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015