Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #7381
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I agree re' beemers - the difference being that BMW seem to have embraced technology and reliability as one - the two G650 X-Challenges we ride with are at least as capable as the 690 (with suspension mods), and appear to be bombproof - both close to 75,000km now, and all of that hard bush riding ...

I was tempted to get a Husky TE630 (still a few around then), but went with the KTM690 as I thought it was likely to be better sorted and more reliable - Husky sold very few TE630s here, as there were problems with 610 and the word got out that you couldn't depend on them - since buying the 690 (and spending a lot more on it than I would the TE630), I have come to realise that this bike is not in fact likely to be a more solid and reliable package than the 630 ...

Shame there's no more X-Challenges ..

Hopefully my current issue (which others seem to have experienced) will be rectifiable, and the rest of the bike will run reliably ...

The last time I rode with a friend who was on his X-challenge...the X challenge died mysteriously on top of a mountain and would not restart. We were very lucky in that a friend was close by with the truck to haul the bike home. Crankshaft can fill you in on that one.

My 950A was a great bike and I got 20,000 plus miles out of it with very few problems. It was a simple machine with known problems that were well documented but quite bitched over when they first came out.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #7382
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
My old F8GS had quite a few problems tbh, never stoped me from traveling though.

Ews ring, ABS issues, leaking gaskets, battery, wheel bearing, crap rims, shock bolt etc etc.

Oh and 625 is nice if you like short rides, for adv... HEHE

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #7383
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post

I think you completely misunderstood the point of my post...which was simply....that many dealers were not/are not experienced in diagnosing and repairing the new fuel injected bikes. Some of them have become since the introduction but many still are not very good at it.
Carburetted can be spelt both ways in the US, but only one way anywhere else – I was astonished when living over there to discover how few Americans have passports, but if any of you do think of travelling then maybe keep the spelling in mind ...

And Seth we seem now to be in agreement re’ my original point: viz the complexity of the 690 – I explain that the local shop is fortunately one of Australia’s oldest (and largest) KTM dealers, and has been servicing EFI bikes since their introduction (BTW: they also sell and service Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) – and yet you suggest that even these people may not be up to the task of diagnosing the problem with my 690 – additional expertise may be required – if true, is this really a bike you want to take out into the bush?

On all fronts, time will tell ...

I love riding the bike, there’s no denying that – but I’m not sure that it’s the whole package for ADV riders – perhaps I’ll have no other probs once this issue is resolved ...
Hoots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #7384
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,222
I'm thinking about putting a baja designs squadron led on my bike but while I was out and about on the interwebnet looking for info, I stumbles across ktmtwins online sales for said light...

http://www.ktmtwins.com/baja-designs...ht-kit-upgrade

..... Which states that the light is only direct for for 2008 and 2012 headlight masks???

One, I won't buy it from ltm twins cuz it's $30 extra there, and two, I know they aren't a tech site, but can anyone clarify? Is my 2011 headlight different that an 08 and a 12?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #7385
wsmc831
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
It's probably more expensive because the headlight area is larger on the 08/12 model. In between ktm used the small exc headlight/screen along with a lousy small dash compared to the nice large one with tach. Pretty sure ktm twins has the one for the 09-11 for msrp.
wsmc831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #7386
lightfighter
where does this go?

now im baffled.... from the KTMTWINS site:

The Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED Light Kit is a radical new upgradet to any KTM EXC, XCW and XCFW models 08-2012 including 2009-2011 690 Enduro R's. Their Squadron motorcycle light is the next generation of LED lighting. The Squadron is designed specifically for aggressive night-time riding by combining amazing distance projection, wide peripheral spread and a smooth light pattern. This light utilizes four CREE XML LEDs - the brightest, most efficient LEDs on the market to give you a blinding 3600 lumens. Not only is the Squadron the brightest LED light on the market, but it also only draws 3.6 amps. If you’re looking for the ultimate in LED lighting for your motorcycle the Baja Designs Squadron is your answer!

*** Only drops into the stock headlight mask on the 2008 and 2012 690 Enduro Rs" ***

from BD's site:

This kit allows for the Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED light to be added to any KTM models 08-2012.

so, worst case, can i order a 08 or 12 mask and fit it directly to the 11?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #7387
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
now im baffled.... from the KTMTWINS site:

The Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED Light Kit is a radical new upgradet to any KTM EXC, XCW and XCFW models 08-2012 including 2009-2011 690 Enduro R's. Their Squadron motorcycle light is the next generation of LED lighting. The Squadron is designed specifically for aggressive night-time riding by combining amazing distance projection, wide peripheral spread and a smooth light pattern. This light utilizes four CREE XML LEDs - the brightest, most efficient LEDs on the market to give you a blinding 3600 lumens. Not only is the Squadron the brightest LED light on the market, but it also only draws 3.6 amps. If you’re looking for the ultimate in LED lighting for your motorcycle the Baja Designs Squadron is your answer!

*** Only drops into the stock headlight mask on the 2008 and 2012 690 Enduro Rs" ***

from BD's site:

This kit allows for the Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED light to be added to any KTM models 08-2012.

so, worst case, can i order a 08 or 12 mask and fit it directly to the 11?
It will fit ALL KTM 2008 THRU 2012 and Now 2013
I just installed this light into my Rally Raid EVO2 faring !!!!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #7388
lightfighter
where does this go?

Cool...

Yellowpig turned me onto a dimmer setup that looks pretty cool, the skene design, did you use a dimmer by any chance? Which one?
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #7389
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,802
Baja Dad- Check your PM, speedy delivery is on the way.

Dirty
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 AM   #7390
francs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Cheers. So 42 rear will bring me close to stock.

Why? might have access to a spare rear wheel so easy to swap out depending on the type of riding I'm going to be doing.
It's 6 "links" difference, will chain fit?
francs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #7391
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
Cool...

Yellowpig turned me onto a dimmer setup that looks pretty cool, the skene design, did you use a dimmer by any chance? Which one?
I have the latest Skene dimmer -IQ 175 - on order for my Squadron (soon to be dual), should be getting here today. From my research I liked the functionality of this one the best, and all the reviews are very good. I would just lose or break the BD remote dimmer.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #7392
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
It will fit ALL KTM 2008 THRU 2012 and Now 2013
I just installed this light into my Rally Raid EVO2 faring !!!!!!
Has anyone actually installed one of these on a 2012? I trashed my front mask and headlight recently and wanted to replace it with a BD Squadron, but after doing some research it didn't appear to the the proper shape to fit into the 2012 mask. I called BD directly and they said they didn't have any data on it and could not guarantee compatibility. Ended up going with a X2 instead. Would have rather gone with the Squadron, but bike isn't streetable without a front light and didn't want to delay getting it back on the road by buying a $300 light that may not fit properly.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #7393
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Carburetted can be spelt both ways in the US, but only one way anywhere else – I was astonished when living over there to discover how few Americans have passports, but if any of you do think of travelling then maybe keep the spelling in mind ...

And Seth we seem now to be in agreement re’ my original point: viz the complexity of the 690 – I explain that the local shop is fortunately one of Australia’s oldest (and largest) KTM dealers, and has been servicing EFI bikes since their introduction (BTW: they also sell and service Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) – and yet you suggest that even these people may not be up to the task of diagnosing the problem with my 690 – additional expertise may be required – if true, is this really a bike you want to take out into the bush?

On all fronts, time will tell ...

I love riding the bike, there’s no denying that – but I’m not sure that it’s the whole package for ADV riders – perhaps I’ll have no other probs once this issue is resolved ...

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #7394
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,578
I spent last night comparing the fork inners between my 2003 525EXC & my 690R. I'm so very happy with the plushness of my 525 forks.

1st thing I find out, the cartridge is smaller on the 690. Whoops. I guess this will not be a direct copy of the shim stacks. It took me up until late last night to figure out how the 2 different diameter stacks compared. Got It!
I found I can closely match my 525 shim stack functions with all the existing shims in the 690.

Other items to be figured out. My 525 uses .48 springs. The 690 .52 stock. I will give my old set 0f .48 from my 950 a run for a bit.

Next difference is the oil level. Hmmm, the 690 had 115mm, the 525 is 140mm. Any thoughts on a good starting point? I was thinking of starting at 120mm.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #7395
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I spent last night comparing the fork inners between my 2003 525EXC & my 690R. I'm so very happy with the plushness of my 525 forks.

1st thing I find out, the cartridge is smaller on the 690. Whoops. I guess this will not be a direct copy of the shim stacks. It took me up until late last night to figure out how the 2 different diameter stacks compared. Got It!
I found I can closely match my 525 shim stack functions with all the existing shims in the 690.

Other items to be figured out. My 525 uses .48 springs. The 690 .52 stock. I will give my old set 0f .48 from my 950 a run for a bit.

Next difference is the oil level. Hmmm, the 690 had 115mm, the 525 is 140mm. Any thoughts on a good starting point? I was thinking of starting at 120mm.
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number