Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #7396
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number
Crankshaft has a set of the SXS forks on his bike...you will have to check with him on how he positioned the forks. I think RRUK was working on a longer rear shock option...as in 300 mm travel vs 250mm? which I think the R is....or maybe the E is 250mm and the R is 280mm...either way they were working on an even longer one

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 08:47 AM
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #7397
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Carburetted can be spelt both ways in the US, but only one way anywhere else – I was astonished when living over there to discover how few Americans have passports, but if any of you do think of travelling then maybe keep the spelling in mind ...

And Seth we seem now to be in agreement re’ my original point: viz the complexity of the 690 – I explain that the local shop is fortunately one of Australia’s oldest (and largest) KTM dealers, and has been servicing EFI bikes since their introduction (BTW: they also sell and service Ducati, Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki) – and yet you suggest that even these people may not be up to the task of diagnosing the problem with my 690 – additional expertise may be required – if true, is this really a bike you want to take out into the bush?

On all fronts, time will tell ...

I love riding the bike, there’s no denying that – but I’m not sure that it’s the whole package for ADV riders – perhaps I’ll have no other probs once this issue is resolved ...
The 690 is not an ADV bike at all.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #7398
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Bolt your 525 forks on the 690 and try it out. you will need to push the fork tubes up a bit (1.5") in the clamps
the 525 forks are OA longer hence the bigger fork oil number
Oh yeah, Forgot to take the OA length into consideration. I'll take a measurement and use that difference to choose a level.
I'm pretty confident the forks will have similar curves when I'm done. I was very happy find I didn't have to gather up any shims. I have all I need.
I took pics of how the stacks lay out. and recorded the values. I know where each fork was and where I want to go.
The stock shim stack on the 690 is pretty linear and progressively hard. It starts much harder than my 525. I could easily see why my initial hit was so harsh. Heavy thick shim stock.

I did figure out a little trick to putting the rebound piston back into the cartridge. I used an o-ring to hold the piston ring in place. When I push it in the o ring drops off.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #7399
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Crankshaft has a set of the SXS forks on his bike...you will have to check with him on how he positioned the forks. I think RRUK was working on a longer rear shock option...as in 300 mm travel vs 250mm? which I think the R is....or maybe the E is 250mm and the R is 280mm...either way they were working on an even longer one
I surely don't want to raise up my 690. I'm on my toes as it is.

I'm looking at what I can do with some old PDS springs I have. I do believe I can fit one in there. I'm thinking that would give me the plush start and harder spring as I get farther thru the stroke.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7400
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
I surely don't want to raise up my 690. I'm on my toes as it is.

I'm looking at what I can do with some old PDS springs I have. I do believe I can fit one in there. I'm thinking that would give me the plush start and harder spring as I get farther thru the stroke.

doesn't matter how tall the bike is once you are rolling. A friend of mine is about 5'9" tall and he has a 530 and an XR650 and rides both offroad very well. When he stops he puts one foot down and hangs the other leg off the seat.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7401
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I lowered my SXS forks to match the stock forks + 1/4"
An extra 3/4 inch didn't seem worth the hassle or expense. My 690 isnt a motox bike and its just fine on quad trail and dirt roads. I could gain a lot more performance by losing 10 more pounds and thats free

The closed chamber forks made a huge difference, especially for what I ride that the extra effort seemed moot. If someone comes up with a cheap, reliable way to raise the rear shock, then I'll pull the forks back to 300mm.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #7402
migrator
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Hello all. Question about a 2010 690 for you.

Rode the bike to/from work yesterday. It ran normal. When I go to leave for work this morning it starts right up runs fine I put it in gear and it dies. Start it back up, make sure the clutch is pulled all the way in, kick stand is up, put it in gear and again it dies.

Did my sidestand switch die overnight?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #7403
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
That's where I would start looking... I believe you can jump those two wires just to test, but to keep it that way, it needs a certain amount of resistance.

I got my Oberon slave installed last night. It's just comical how clean I start out...making sure I have all the proper drop cloths, bleed hoses, syringes, etc. Then I'm pretty much covered in mineral oil by the end of bleeding the clutch.

Installation was straight forward. There's plenty of room to get the stock unit out, but not enough to get the Oberon slave on. I didn't want to pull the front sprocket, so I just slipped the chain off (keep in mind, I'm running a 16 tooth front).

I had to clearance the back side of the sprocket cover slightly. It wouldn't sit flush, so I removed a bit of plastic from the back side. Only about 1/8" over a 2" section. Nothing that would compromise the cover at all.

And wow, has this made a difference. Just after taking a short trip around the block last night to make sure everything's sealed, and the ride to work this morning, I'm thoroughly impressed. The action is so much smoother.

With the stock slave, I was getting a clunk while slipping the clutch out, especially in first. I'm pretty sure the piston was sticking, and then slamming back. Now it's just one smooth action.

I pushed on the stock piston after I had it out in my hands, and it would just stick in certain spots. Took it apart, and there was nothing apparent. No galling or score marks. I think it was still sealing pretty good, but that o-ring was just sticking at certain spots in the bore.

My shifts even feel smoother. Very impressed.

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 09:24 AM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #7404
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by migrator View Post
Hello all. Question about a 2010 690 for you.

Rode the bike to/from work yesterday. It ran normal. When I go to leave for work this morning it starts right up runs fine I put it in gear and it dies. Start it back up, make sure the clutch is pulled all the way in, kick stand is up, put it in gear and again it dies.

It may not be the switch at all. When mine did the same thing, I just adjusted the position of the magnet on the kickstand, and tightened it back up. I was careful not to overtighten the screw as I did not want to risk breaking the mounting point (if that is possible or likely). I did not have another problem with this issue after the adjustment.

The other thing I did when it happened while out riding was to put the kickstand up/down a few times and try again. that usually did the trick.

Easiest to figure out where placement of the magnet should be while the bike is on a stand with the sidestand up.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljockey View Post
None of us are exceptionally skilled riders (excepting when I'm drunk, then I'm fcking quick).
BK.RD.RNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #7405
Bruno T .
N8YQ

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Next difference is the oil level. Hmmm, the 690 had 115mm, the 525 is 140mm. Any thoughts on a good starting point? I was thinking of starting at 120mm.
For the 690, 100 mm is the factory spec.

For a 2010 530 110 mm is the factory spec.

I have my 690 at 110.

It's a lot heavier than a 530/525.
Bruno T . is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #7406
Bigbugberg
Meatbucket Supreme

Oddometer: 288
Just dropped my ride off at Stillwell Performance for a full revalve. He did great work on my 400 so he now has my 690.

2013 Guzzi Stelvio
2010 KTM 690 Enduro
2009 KTM 400XCW Plated
Bigbugberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #7407
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,207
Ktmtwins edited their page it now says 2008 "through" 2012, which was confirmed here and by email from BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
now im baffled.... from the KTMTWINS site:

The Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED Light Kit is a radical new upgradet to any KTM EXC, XCW and XCFW models 08-2012 including 2009-2011 690 Enduro R's. Their Squadron motorcycle light is the next generation of LED lighting. The Squadron is designed specifically for aggressive night-time riding by combining amazing distance projection, wide peripheral spread and a smooth light pattern. This light utilizes four CREE XML LEDs - the brightest, most efficient LEDs on the market to give you a blinding 3600 lumens. Not only is the Squadron the brightest LED light on the market, but it also only draws 3.6 amps. If you’re looking for the ultimate in LED lighting for your motorcycle the Baja Designs Squadron is your answer!

*** Only drops into the stock headlight mask on the 2008 and 2012 690 Enduro Rs" ***

from BD's site:

This kit allows for the Baja Designs Squadron 3"x3" LED light to be added to any KTM models 08-2012.

so, worst case, can i order a 08 or 12 mask and fit it directly to the 11?
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #7408
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The 690 is not an ADV bike at all.
And yet it gets at least a dozen major threads on 'ADV Rider' ... ?

I've probably been too pessimistic about the 690 as an adventure bike - coloured obviously by my own experiences - with enough preparation and testing, individual bikes are no doubt excellent ADV steeds - if I can solve the key issue (oil light), I'll certainly keep taking mine off into the bush and hopefully do the desert run in May ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #7409
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,066
W

Never had oil light issue or any issue on my 2010
Old 02-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #7410
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
And yet it gets at least a dozen major threads on 'ADV Rider' ... ?

I've probably been too pessimistic about the 690 as an adventure bike - coloured obviously by my own experiences - with enough preparation and testing, individual bikes are no doubt excellent ADV steeds - if I can solve the key issue (oil light), I'll certainly keep taking mine off into the bush and hopefully do the desert run in May ...
Before you define ADVbike, I think it's best to define "Adventure" and that changes based on who you're asking. Is the label all that important? I guess it is if you're marketing a product but we always just called it fun. Of course my fun probably isn't the same as your fun. It's a silly business trying to label stuff