Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #7501
Gros Buck
Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
You need to put about 50,000 miles on the stock forks before the internals are damaged enough to have a nice smooth ride.
You're kidding ... Or you're not playing hard enough maybe ??? At 50000 miles, my forks will be enterely destroyed.

Let say there's a big difference after 2500 miles off road. Then it smooths gradually. Retrofit every 10000 miles. Seals every 5000 miles, or every seasons. Match with the annual seals change.

Paul Jr

Gros Buck screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 07:35 PM
Gros Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #7502
SKINNY
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
My 2012 forks were much less harsh from brand new than my 2008 was after several thousand miles...
The 2008 & 2012 have the shorter travel, but the 2012 has different compression damper adjustments and internals....
at any rate, it's better than the 2008 ever was...
SKINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #7503
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Exactly the same as my 2012. I was going to try to prise them out but didn't bother in the end. I've got that rust too. I just greased the hell out of everything and put it back together. I'll check every time I change tyres and again near the end of the warranty period. If it's not good then KTM can fix it

There's hardly any grease on the front wheel either.
I'm going to try to do a warranty claim in a few weeks. I'll post up what happens.....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In other news....
Nice review of the 690 I found here:

http://www.enduro360.com/2012/11/10/...duro-r-review/
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #7504
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
My son TJ rode Ginger & I rode Big Orange over to Vibranator before lunch.

WOW! I can't say enough good about Don over a Virbanator/Ricor.:Pom

We did a bunch of experimenting before & after lunch at his place.

Finished results:
Big Orange now has a set of the regular Vibranators. Took my bars vibes to near nothing. Man I wish I had done this long ago.

Ginger started with the regular units. I rode her around the parking lot and still noticed considerable vibes.

After lunch we went back and changed up to the heavier units. Takes a huge Tap to do the end of the bars. I probably should have cut off some of the bar ends. They now stick out an inch. More clearance for the levers I guess. :p

I'm gonna say the heavy ends reduced my vibes about 70% on the 690.
Couldn't tell if you posted it somewhere, could you tell me which model Vibranators you ended up putting in the 690?

Thanks
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #7505
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Couldn't tell if you posted it somewhere, could you tell me which model Vibranators you ended up putting in the 690?

Thanks
Since we did all the install at his shop, no packaging or paperwork that I can reference for you. Hmmm. I don't see them on the Site. These are the newest coming out of them. I'm thinking we were helping on the R&D. Don & I tapped the bar ends to fit them. I chose NOT to cut off my bars. That puts them out an additional inch from the ends. I did have to do some bending on my Cycra guards to get them to fit correctly. The ones I have are about 6oz each and thread into the bar ends. We did to go to longer end bolts than would have been supplied. That was more for my wishes than his. I did the standard inside the bar units on the 950 & my sons EXC.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #7506
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Since we did all the install at his shop, no packaging or paperwork that I can reference for you. Hmmm. I don't see them on the Site. These are the newest coming out of them. I'm thinking we were helping on the R&D. Don & I tapped the bar ends to fit them. I chose NOT to cut off my bars. That puts them out an additional inch from the ends. I did have to do some bending on my Cycra guards to get them to fit correctly. The ones I have are about 6oz each and thread into the bar ends. We did to go to longer end bolts than would have been supplied. That was more for my wishes than his. I did the standard inside the bar units on the 950 & my sons EXC.
Thanks for the info. Guess what I'll do is call them when I'm ready to order and talk to them about it.

If you had it to do over, would you cut the bars down?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #7507
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Guess what I'll do is call them when I'm ready to order and talk to them about it.

Nope. I usually add a 1/2 inch spacer anyway.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #7508
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Buck View Post
You're kidding ... Or you're not playing hard enough maybe ??? At 50000 miles, my forks will be enterely destroyed.

Let say there's a big difference after 2500 miles off road. Then it smooths gradually. Retrofit every 10000 miles. Seals every 5000 miles, or every seasons. Match with the annual seals change.

Paul Jr

I am kidding. i have ridden the shit out of my 08 and never could get the stock suspension dialed in or loosened up into anything good for aggressive trail riding. it was good for dirt roads and good sized jumps but just not great for trails. With a reworked set of R suspension on there it is better but could still be better yet.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7509
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:

The new ones look like this:

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #7510
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
The new ones look like this:

Cheers,

MrHix
Thank you sir!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:30 PM   #7511
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Which bike for adventure LDT

Chaps,

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking for constructive opinion on the right bike for a LDT adventure bike. I've asked the question in a few places as I'm trying to get the right answer and it doesn't get better than here for advice.

I am thinking,

690 enduro R 2013
70mm lowering kit (appreciate any info on how best to achieve this and keep 21")
Big Safari tank.
Protection equipment, skid plate, bars, head light, what else.
Fairing or screen, which is better
luggage racks
bag type, hard or soft, I;m told HT are good.
Is the standard seat ok for touring
I want to retain the ability to ride 2 up sometimes if possible
main stand

what else

One BIG concern I have is that there are many cases of reliability issues. Would the Rotax based bikes be a better choice. I like the power but I think the comment I've seen ref pushing an interesting bike v riding a boring one.

I don't want to build a bike only to find I need to change it due to continued reliability issues.

All views or comments very much appreciated.

Cheers dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #7512
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,041
With a70mm lowering kit you'll have 180mm left thats road bike territory I cant see that being a nice plush
Ride
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #7513
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,207
I dropped my 09 an inch(24mm?) and will do te same on the 11 I just got. An inch is noticable. 70 mm is a huge drop.

If you want this bike that low, I'd look at some bmw's that are better suited for longer touring on roads in other ways too.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #7514
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
ground clearance

Based on the specs I got the seat height is 910, ground clearance 280 so should still leave 840 seat and 210 ground clearance.

Is this correct for the 2013 ??
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #7515
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveburton View Post
Chaps,

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm looking for constructive opinion on the right bike for a LDT adventure bike. I've asked the question in a few places as I'm trying to get the right answer and it doesn't get better than here for advice.

I am thinking,

690 enduro R 2013
70mm lowering kit (appreciate any info on how best to achieve this and keep 21")
Big Safari tank.
Protection equipment, skid plate, bars, head light, what else.
Fairing or screen, which is better
luggage racks
bag type, hard or soft, I;m told HT are good.
Is the standard seat ok for touring
I want to retain the ability to ride 2 up sometimes if possible
main stand

what else

One BIG concern I have is that there are many cases of reliability issues. Would the Rotax based bikes be a better choice. I like the power but I think the comment I've seen ref pushing an interesting bike v riding a boring one.

I don't want to build a bike only to find I need to change it due to continued reliability issues.

All views or comments very much appreciated.

Cheers dave
Dave,

I did the following to my 12:

1 1/2" (38mm) lowering & revalve by Superplush suspension (I'm 5'8" with 32" (812mm) inseam, 150 lbs)
1" removed from sidestand (local shop)
Seat Concepts seat cover & foam
Flatland skidplate
Moose Racing Hybrid footpegs

I am very happy with all these mods. No reliability issues, but only 1600 miles (2500 km).

Have Fun,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote