Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #7516
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by nibby View Post
Cheers.

What apart from tyre changing tools would you add to the standard KTM toolkit if wanting to keep it to a minimum for day trips? If the worst happens and it's not a quick fix then wont be too far from home and breakdown cover will get me there type of thing?
Here's mine quoted from another thread, a lot of it is not pictured and there are a few tools that are of little/no use on the 690 but have saved plenty of other riders' bacon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Although I'm always looking to refine my kit, I have it pretty well ironed out. I rode for years on a dualsported crf450 so this should all apply directly to your crf... I only added a couple tools to the kit to support Euro bikes.

1/4" drive shallow 6 point sockets: 6, 8, 10, 12, 13mm

craftsman 1/4" drive ratchet (looking for a better replacement)

craftsman 1/4" square drive nut driver (used as an extension for ratchet)

2 in 1 screwdriver

fold out allen wrench set

fold out torx wrench set (seems to be mostly a KTM thing but they do show up on a few other brands)

6" needle nose vise grips

wide jaw crescent wrench (opens to ~1 3/4", I cut the handle to 6" from 8")

Gearwrench brand ratcheting end wrenches 8, 10, 12, 13mm

shirt pocket size flathead screwdriver (most convenient for removing jets or making suspension adjustments)

<20psi air pressure gauge

small magnet (retrieve dropped bolts)

oil rag

20' SS safety wire (cleans jets or more often used to band aid stuff back together)

Everything listed above fits inside (2) 1qt oil containers that slide over each other, this keeps things fairly water resistant while being cheap/durable/quickly accessible and I get 2 catch containers if I need to transfer fuel or hold hardware while performing trail repairs, maybe even scoop some creek water to top off a bolied over machine or refill after a radiator repair?

I also carry a few other tools but they are not always kept in the same place.

motion pro T6 22mm and 32mm tire spoon/ axle nut wrenches

steel 27mm axle nut wrench (I'll buy another T6 wrench in this size eventually)

All of the axle wrenches/spoons are rubber banded to a spare HD 21" innertube (has metal valve stem remover threaded on the stem) and stuffed inside a tube sock

I carry a very small canvas "pencil pouch" with:

chain breaker

2 spare master links

short section of chain (I always buy longer than I need and carry the left over section)

"2nd wind" MTB pump (can be used manually or with CO2)

"skabs" peel and stick patches (these will get you off the trail but I had one slide out of place after a run down the highway at low pressure.) Good old fashioned glue-on patches are more reliable, as long as you make sure your tube of glue hasn't been punctured or dried out.

"bolt" branded spare hardware kit (inventory in this is always changing)

generic multitool

3aaa LED flashlight with a nylon washer to keep the batteries from contacting the terminals (I have to take the washer out to use the light but it keeps the light from turning on in my pack and I won't lose the batteries this way)

short tow strap <10' (I've also used this as a strap wrench to tighten a fork cap that started backing off in the desert. Just feed one end through the loop on the other end and pull back on itself, worked awesome... my fork cap wrench didn't get it any tighter when I got home!)

tons of various zip ties (you will find the larger ones more useful than the smaller ones)

1/2 used (smaller) roll of electrical tape

(2) ~6' lengths of speaker wire (have been used as jumper cables, who knows when you might need some electrical wire?)

Tube of Quicksteel fast setting epoxy putty (fixes cracked cases, radiators, etc.)

I think that's about it for tools/repair items, but I will edit my post if I remember more! I carry other personal items like snacks, firstaid, water, TP (very important!) and many other odds and ends but I'll save that list for another time. I'm sure this all sounds excessive, but I assure you it doesn't weigh that much nor does it take up a lot of space. I use my trail tool kit to perform all service and repair when I am at home and have literally rebuilt an entire crf450 engine/ suspension with very few additional tools.
Everything listed either lives in my Wolfman E-12 saddlebags on my 690 or in my ZacSpeed chest protector pack and is with me on every ride weather I truck the bike to the good stuff for a <30mile loop or ride 300 miles a day for several days.
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #7517
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,643
J - nice kit! I like the oil bottle trick, I'll have to abscond with that one.

Orange tire levers! Cool! What is the little one for??
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #7518
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
I use these: Motion Pro BeadPro Tire Bead Breaker and Lever Tool Set, and a 32mm T-6. They all lock under the brake discs. I prefer the BeadPro to the T-6 which is a bit too long I think.

If you're out riding with anyone who has tubeless tyres the BreadPro will help too.

Those orange ktm-parts ones not come in 32mm for the rear wheel - strange
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #7519
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,128
Since we are on tool kits I like to carry something like Moose's quicksteel epoxy.

Any one have any tricks for storing this though? I find if it's been riding on the bike in my tool tube for more than a month it's already started to mix together and harden.
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #7520
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Since we are on tool kits I like to carry something like Moose's quicksteel epoxy.

Any one have any tricks for storing this though? I find if it's been riding on the bike in my tool tube for more than a month it's already started to mix together and harden.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #7521
nibby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Great feedback everyone,

Think I'm going with the oem toolkit, 21”tube, 3MP levers, various size zip ties, rad fix/epoxy, spare fuses, a few nuts/washers, e-tape, small bike pump, 2 master links, short section of chain, patch kit, tow strap.

All going to fit in a Kriega R8 Waistpack with some snacks, cards, phone etc.

Now one question can anyone recommend a decent but small and light weight chain tool to allow me to sort out the chain if it snaps?

Cheers
nibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 AM   #7522
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I just keep this in my kit:

Slow process, but it works for me.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #7523
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
does anyone have any idea what this: http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...roducts&id=158 is supposed to do? The description basically says that it "cures" the jerky throttle on ktm 690 and 990's, I'd never seen or heard of this part before and am curious just wtf it's supposed to do.
Says right there: " ...richens fuel circuit..." $160-hmmm. Think I'll keep jerkin'
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #7524
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
The guy making them used to sell direct on ukgser

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #7525
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Says right there: " ...richens fuel circuit..." $160-hmmm. Think I'll keep jerkin'

Yea, maybe they changed the description in the year and a half since I questioned it ...

Now that you brought it back up though, I'm curious (with zero need/ desire to purchase one) as to how exactly it "richens fuel circuit"? Mine has been running fine for the last 6k miles (12k on bike) with the EVO1 map. A set of cables to use tuneecu would certainly be cheaper and likely produce better results at all rpm ranges vs the "accelerator module."

aaaaaannnnnnnddddddd..... discuss
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #7526
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,739
Quote:
Yea, maybe they changed the description in the year and a half since I questioned it ...

Now that you brought it back up though, I'm curious (with zero need/ desire to purchase one) as to how exactly it "richens fuel circuit"? Mine has been running fine for the last 6k miles (12k on bike) with the EVO1 map. A set of cables to use tuneecu would certainly be cheaper and likely produce better results at all rpm ranges vs the "accelerator module."

Agreed, much rather spend a lot less money and get REAL adjustability via TuneECU.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 AM   #7527
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 812
Vortex anyone?
JustBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM   #7528
giuspepp
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninMoto View Post
This is my tool kit. But i'm on an RTW.. not on a day trip. Its basically everything I need to take apart most of the bike. Including most of the motor. (calipers and multimeter cus i'm a nerd)

Does the shock tool in the photo work on 690?(i'm refering to this one: http://www.ktm4u.co.uk/new-products/...load-wrench-11)
giuspepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #7529
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 4,099
Not for on the trail. It works out on the bench. I use a tire iron against the frame tube to lever the rings around. Then I lock with a screwdriver smack with crescent wrench. Doesn't need a lot to lock.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #7530
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,290
over in the Gspot, they are generally called booster plugs, and they mask the temperature signal with a manipulated lower reading, to which the ECU responds by throwing a richer mixture. really actually pretty noticeable on an R1200.

Quote:

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote