Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #7621
ghostridergary
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Why is fuel filter between the pump & regulator?

I've seen lots of posts about in tank and outside tank filters and their benefits.

Could someone explain to me the rationale for why the filter is between the pump and the regulator - presumably there is a reason for having it there rather than where the disconnect is (outside the tank)?

The fuel going to the regulator from the pump has already passed through the mesh screen before entering the pump so why does it need to be filtered again? Is the regulator that sensitive?

Why not just connect the pump to the regulator (without the filter) and put a filter in place of the disconnect?

Any explanations appreciated........
ghostridergary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #7622
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostridergary View Post
I've seen lots of posts about in tank and outside tank filters and their benefits.

Could someone explain to me the rationale for why the filter is between the pump and the regulator - presumably there is a reason for having it there rather than where the disconnect is (outside the tank)?

The fuel going to the regulator from the pump has already passed through the mesh screen before entering the pump so why does it need to be filtered again? Is the regulator that sensitive?

Why not just connect the pump to the regulator (without the filter) and put a filter in place of the disconnect?

Some of us do just that. I moved mine outside and reduced the tubing mess in the tank considerably. I can swap filters at any interval I choose now without much fuss.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #7623
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostridergary View Post

Good question. I do not have an answer since I do not know the details of how a regulator works. I once took apart the in-tank fuel filter. The filter material was darker colored compared to a new one but that seemed to be due to being exposed to gas rather than being clogged. There was no debris in the screen or the filter. For now I left the in-tank fuel filter and added an external one in place of the quick disconnect in order to minimize the chances of the injector clogging. Probably overkill. My 09 has 11,000 miles on it and I have never had a fuel related issue. I replaced the stock fuel pump a long time ago with one from CA Cycleworks.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #7624
690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
KTM 690 Carbon/Kevlar Parts

Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you all a heads up. I posted up an add for the Carbon Fiber/Kevlar rally style skid plate and carbon fiber exhaust guards for sale over in the Vendor section. Here's a link to pics. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks!
690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #7625
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Rear brake pads

Having a bit of a problem getting them back in. The pad away from the piston rotates down on the bolt as if there's nothing to keep it up on the front end. The owners manual says "Check that leaf spring (5) in the brake caliper and sliding plate (6) in the brake caliper are seated correctly." The picture next to the words shows the leaf spring and sliding plate. But I don't see a sliding plate in my brake caliper. Just the leaf spring which is positioned properly. I can't find this "sliding plate" in the spare parts manual, nor did anything fall out when I removed the pads.
But I can't get the referenced pad to stay put, up in the caliper. I'm obviously missing something. Help.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #7626
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

If you spread the caliper all the way out there is a small gap that the pad can drop thru. I had this happen to me.
With the wheel off you can put the pad back into the groove. Push on the brakes a bit to put the caliper close enough to keep them in before putting the wheel on. Wheel still on takes pulling that PITA pin to get the pads off. Then put back on.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #7627
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post

I also slotted the forward airbox mount tabs so I can remove the airbox without pulling the Rally tanks, which included cutting up a engineered design..... works better now with better engineering

This sounds interesting, do you have any pictures?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #7628
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
If you spread the caliper all the way out there is a small gap that the pad can drop thru. I had this happen to me.
With the wheel off you can put the pad back into the groove. Push on the brakes a bit to put the caliper close enough to keep them in before putting the wheel on. Wheel still on takes pulling that PITA pin to get the pads off. Then put back on.
Got it! Pushing on the brake a bit was the key. Thanks.
'11 WR250R
Old 03-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #7629
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Some of us do just that. I moved mine outside and reduced the tubing mess in the tank considerably. I can swap filters at any interval I choose now without much fuss.
Anyone care to post the material and procedure here? Will then get it posted to the Wiki.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #7630
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Anyone care to post the material and procedure here? Will then get it posted to the Wiki.
I used the existing Wiki fuel pump post to do the inside with some tweaks removing the plastic lines all together. As far as outside, there seems to be a variety of opinions on locations for the filter. I chose my location to allow easy access for changes.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 03-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #7631
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

BTW Thanks for keeping that Wiki up. It has been extremely helpful to me in getting all those little things taken care of.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #7632
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
For the 690's, I don't believe that is correct. I believe that option is only for newer 990's...

http://tuneecu.com/TuneECU_En/mapedit.html
Just did a reset two days ago. For those not sure, read page 169 of the 690 shop manual.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 02:52 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #7633
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
BTW Thanks for keeping that Wiki up. It has been extremely helpful to me in getting all those little things taken care of.
I'd love to take credit for the 690 Wiki but MuffinMan and others have really made it happen.

The fuel filter relocate to the exterior is a common question here and would be great to have this on the Wiki.

Anyone have a step-by-step?
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #7634
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Where is the Wiki?
'11 WR250R
Old 03-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #7635
modeselector
Common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Where is the Wiki?
google search: ADV KTM 690 WIKI

or: