ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #7666
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT
 
Mudguts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Some were in , lostralia
Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainer View Post
Any of you guys have some good videos of a 690 doing some technical trails?

I'm waffling between a 500 EXC and a 690 but THIS is sort of the riding I am thinking of and am wondering how the bigger 690 handles the rough stuff. I've looked around on youtube a bit, but most of the 690 vids seem to be on dirt roads and the like...


THANKS!

I have both 690 & 500 exc . and i still can't decide witch i like the best
the 690 is good for long haul the 500 is better sinlgle track . but i still take the 690 on any 4x4 track like this prime 690 country

__________________
Birth of a Rally Bike - KTM525
Mudguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #7667
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer
 
Hoots's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Gundaroo NSW OZ
Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainer View Post
Any of you guys have some good videos of a 690 doing some technical trails?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainer View Post

I'm waffling between a 500 EXC and a 690 but THIS is sort of the riding I am thinking of and am wondering how the bigger 690 handles the rough stuff. I've looked around on youtube a bit, but most of the 690 vids seem to be on dirt roads and the like...


THANKS!



There’s nothing in your vid that 690 wouldn’t do pretty comfortably – but then you could also do it all on a well set-up DR650 – that said, if this sort of riding is your focus then you’d obviously be better off with a big enduro ... we did a long ride in the hills today – 400km+ of varied terrain – the big days are what the 690 excels at – fast and effortless on the dirt transport legs (an absolute blast), and very capable in the steep rocky stuff.

Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 AM   #7668
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 799
Just took my first empty the tank ride on my new to me 2010 690ER. Bike has FMF can, Vortex ECU (set at 3-3-3-1), EPA stuff removed. I got 35mpg mostly forest service roads, some of it 1st and 2nd gear stuff, 20% pavement. Is this nominal? What do most of you get?
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #7669
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Just took my first empty the tank ride on my new to me 2010 690ER. Bike has FMF can, Vortex ECU (set at 3-3-3-1), EPA stuff removed. I got 35mpg mostly forest service roads, some of it 1st and 2nd gear stuff, 20% pavement. Is this nominal? What do most of you get?
I've seen as little as 30 MPG and as much as 50 MPG. Really depends on how you ride it.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #7670
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Just took my first empty the tank ride on my new to me 2010 690ER. Bike has FMF can, Vortex ECU (set at 3-3-3-1), EPA stuff removed. I got 35mpg mostly forest service roads, some of it 1st and 2nd gear stuff, 20% pavement. Is this nominal? What do most of you get?

Sounds like your having too much fun..

depends how you drive it. average for me is 200km's a tank, i think 160miles, getting gas anytime after 175km's just to be sure
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #7671
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Hey I have a few cool parts for sale over in parts
I'm moving out of my 690 and planning get a 950 se
now that I have a 450 the 690 is only being used for
road riding
__________________
I wanted one last view for the day... A place where I could see the water
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #7672
Christophe
weekend warrior
 
Christophe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Aix-en-Provence, France
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Rider View Post
Appreciate that link. Great info.

Here's my damage. I wonder if my local radiator repair shop can do something with it?

Also, I've seen the KTM and the Touratech rad guards. Any others to consider?
I like the touratech radiator guards, they protect the radiator and the plastics from damage, while the others just protect the radiator. I have landed my bike at low and high speeds (and broke my wrist on one of those high speed falls), but the radiator and plastics around there have never had any problems, not even a scratch (but I have replaced the break OEM brake lever several times, and the clutch cover and lever too). Yes, I did break a bar on a fall on a very cold day after sliding on a ice and snow, but touratech replaced both free of of charge.

I even got the G-it bash plate to fit with the guards, just a small cutout necessary on one side.

Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #7673
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
Hey I have a few cool parts for sale over in parts
I'm moving out of my 690 and planning get a 950 se
now that I have a 450 the 690 is only being used for
road riding

Link?
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #7674
motoged
Studly Adventurer
 
motoged's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Kamloops, BC
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Just took my first empty the tank ride on my new to me 2010 690ER. Bike has FMF can, Vortex ECU (set at 3-3-3-1), EPA stuff removed. I got 35mpg mostly forest service roads, some of it 1st and 2nd gear stuff, 20% pavement. Is this nominal? What do most of you get?
JB,
Not nagging.....and maybe you are already aware....running tank empty increases risk of burning out fuel pump as fuel in tank is what cools the pump.....so now you have that experiment under your belt, always try to keep at least 1/3 of tank w/fuel.....whenever possible.....
__________________
Ged Schwartz
Kamloops , BC


Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track




motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #7675
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner
 
Albie's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: NWA
Oddometer: 9,570
Not for nothing, but I'd rather replace the fuel pump every now and then instead of gasing up every 50 or 60 miles.
__________________
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #7676
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet
 
TheMuffinMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Denver, USA
Oddometer: 5,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I've seen as little as 30 MPG and as much as 50 MPG. Really depends on how you ride it.
I have the stock ecu with an FMF can and it's been desmogged. Commuting I get 51-53mpg off-road I haven't burned a full tank off-road, but the mpg doesn't drop much for me, maybe to 40-45 when I off-road on tanks.
__________________
"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"You don't cross the mountains, they let you through."
KTM 525 XC-W // KTM 950 Adventure
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #7677
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek
 
shipwrek12001's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa
Oddometer: 2,088
Speaking of fuel and fuel pumps, my bike is not waking up this spring to 4long and 1short FI code... Fuel control unit... would be???? the fuel pump ??? fuel reg?? or cdi/ecu???


most likely the fuel pump, as i don't alway hear it.

08e btw

shipwrek12001 screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 02:48 PM
shipwrek12001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #7678
JustBob
Uh...who me?
 
JustBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Young Harris, GA
Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
JB,
Not nagging.....and maybe you are already aware....running tank empty increases risk of burning out fuel pump as fuel in tank is what cools the pump.....so now you have that experiment under your belt, always try to keep at least 1/3 of tank w/fuel.....whenever possible.....
Yes...I am aware....just like every other electronic fuel injection bike I've ever had. But I wanted to ride it until the reserve light came on to see when that is. It came on at 88 miles. The refill verified that level. That said, I don't run 'em out of gas but I don't mind riding to reserve light either....never had a problem. Is the 690 different?
__________________
Bob Hancock
'14 R1200GSW; '14 F800GSA
'10 690 EnduroR; '88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #7679
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
I like the touratech radiator guards, they protect the radiator and the plastics from damage, while the others just protect the radiator. I have landed my bike at low and high speeds (and broke my wrist on one of those high speed falls), but the radiator and plastics around there have never had any problems, not even a scratch (but I have replaced the break OEM brake lever several times, and the clutch cover and lever too). Yes, I did break a bar on a fall on a very cold day after sliding on a ice and snow, but touratech replaced both free of of charge.

I even got the G-it bash plate to fit with the guards, just a small cutout necessary on one side.

Thank you, Cristophe! I like that the Touratech bars protect the plastics as well as the radiator.

I too have the G-It bash plate. Can you show me where you had to make the notch?

My rad is at the repair shop. It'll cost me $45.

I just noticed that my throttle is sticking big time. Possible mud in the throttle? It did fall on that side.
__________________
10 GSA 30th, 14 HP4 Comp, 13 690 Enduro R
Canyon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #7680
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick
 
BK.RD.RNR's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Livin' in the 90's
Oddometer: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Yes...I am aware....just like every other electronic fuel injection bike I've ever had. But I wanted to ride it until the reserve light came on to see when that is. It came on at 88 miles. The refill verified that level. That said, I don't run 'em out of gas but I don't mind riding to reserve light either....never had a problem. Is the 690 different?
I think different people will give you different answers to that question.

Personally. My 2008 had 30k miles on it before the engine grenaded. I don't ever recall running it out of gas, but I ran it well into the reserve light plenty of times. I never had a fuel pump issue, I also never changed or cleaned the filter or injector. I did however, start to carry a CAcycleworks spare pump with me on longer trips as a backup, just in case.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015