Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #7741
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
IMS has the IN TANK fuel line They use it allthe time.
Call them they May sell it to you
800-237-9906 Talk to Steve
Thanks....uh....who/what is IMS?....Google gives 3 gazillion responses.
Just wondering because websites are a helpful "context" for such a call.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #7742
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Thanks....uh....who/what is IMS?....Google gives 3 gazillion responses.
Just wondering because websites are a helpful "context" for such a call.
http://www.imsproducts.com
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #7743
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Answered my own question with a call to Steve at IMS (the tank folks....I got it now).

Steve clarified that the hose they use in fuel tanks is simply a transfer hose that delivers the fuel from one section/compartment of the fuel tank to a separate compartment which houses the stock FI fuel pump assembly which has retained the stock fuel pump-to-regulator immersible-approved fuel line....

So..... the IMS hose is not to be used in place of fuel injection hose/line which needs to meet pressure demands (the Napa stuff is tested at 500psi).

So thanks for the link/info BajaDad.....but no go for that line for our purposes here

Old 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #7744
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 735
RIP Beaney.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #7745
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,825
Quote:
Answered my own question with a call to Steve at IMS (the tank folks....I got it now).

Steve clarified that the hose they use in fuel tanks is simply a transfer hose that delivers the fuel from one section/compartment of the fuel tank to a separate compartment which houses the stock FI fuel pump assembly which has retained the stock fuel pump-to-regulator immersible-approved fuel line....

So..... the IMS hose is not to be used in place of fuel injection hose/line which needs to meet pressure demands (the Napa stuff is tested at 500psi).

So thanks for the link/info BajaDad.....but no go for that line for our purposes here
Sorry
I thought it would help.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #7746
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Sorry
I thought it would help.
No need for apologies....we are all trying to sort out these ideas and issues....and close up some issues with definitive solutions that we can all apply.

I am far from being a good mechanic, but have certainly benefited from the guys here that know their stuff....and the others that, like me, learn from others as well as trial and error.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #7747
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
but have certainly benefited from the guys here that know their stuff....and the others that, like me, learn from others as well as trial and error.
+1 on learning from others...

pulled my fuel pump yesterday, I have the filter, pump, I get the line from napa tomorrow...

shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:28 PM   #7748
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653

Rest in Peace Beany. My 690 will forever have just a little bit of you (his programming) in it.

Best wishes to his loved ones.

Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #7749
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Hmmmmmm ?????

Is that a kink I see in the fuel line by the clamps?????

If so, I would think that the sturdy Napa line would not do that in that configuration. My thinking is to use the Napa line, externalize the filter, and use Noah's "in-line splice" to compensate for deletion of internal filter. This being said with the cautionary info that the Napa line makes applying the hose clamps a challenge. I would be using a FI line clamp which is a screw clamp with rounded edges less likely to cut into line than regular worm-style screw hose clamp:

Proper clamp:

Improper clamp:

I haven't included the type of clamp that requires special tool....whatever they are called...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #7750
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Hi Ged! Hope your trip went well.

Quote:
The Napa fuel line (and similar line w/ industry standard approval) ranges from $20-$30 a foot....the part # Uller provided is for 12 inches of line (#H209 -- 5/16” x 1’)

Question #1: Uller, it looks like you have not replaced the in-line filter in the tank and have externalized your filter....if my understanding is correct, was the 12 inches long enough to connect fuel pump assembly to regulator, and have fuel pump assembly remain in lowest position possible in tank (i.e. as in stock set-up), or did you do a "splice" as it appears Ronin did when he externalized his fuel line filter in order to meet this positioning requirement ?
I did only use (1) 1'-0" section of the submersible hose. It is more than enough.

I do have my fuel filter outside my tank in the location of the quick disconnect. I didn't route it lower like Noah or others (didn't need to add hose here) however, I can get my airbox out much quicker though.

If you hold the pump & regulator in relation to one another as they sit inside the tank; while they are out of the tank, you will understand better why 1'-0 is enough. In reality, I only used 9" of the submersible line. You need just enough to allow you to work with the hose while it is connected to the regulator and sticking out of the pump opening of the tank. I believe that the shorter the better to stop kinking. If you want you can connect the entire length to the regulator, install it and route the hose out the pump opening and then trim to desired length.

I originally left 5" of the return line still connected to the regulator and then used the remaining 3" of submersible line to connect it to the fuel pump cup cap. If this line kinks, maybe it isn't an issue????? If I were to do it over again, I would probably leave the entire return line and just use the submersible for the pump to regulator connection.

It is a challenge to get the hoses secured to the regulator body as it is designed for a thin walled hose as Baja Dad mentioned. I made it work though and it has withstood over 5,000+ miles now. I believe I sanded a little and trimmed a certain spot of the outside of the hose.
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #7751
scholz
bush league

Oddometer: 54
Anyone have a link to valve adjustments? I checked the 690 wiki but no pics. Thanks!
scholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #7752
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Hmmmmmm ?????

Is that a kink I see in the fuel line by the clamps?????

If so, I would think that the sturdy Napa line would not do that in that configuration. My thinking is to use the Napa line, externalize the filter, and use Noah's "in-line splice" to compensate for deletion of internal filter. This being said with the cautionary info that the Napa line makes applying the hose clamps a challenge. I would be using a FI line clamp which is a screw clamp with rounded edges less likely to cut into line than regular worm-style screw hose clamp:

Proper clamp:

Improper clamp:

I haven't included the type of clamp that requires special tool....whatever they are called...

I let a dealer put in the fuel plate adapter for the safari tank... Thinking i'd be safer.... not..... that set up lasted a season.. even a trip to Moab..

The new pump came with the band clamps but only two, for pump and filter.

the napa 3095 filter is 5/16, the pump is 1/4, the napa h209 fuel line is 5/16 I haven't seen the reg. yet I assume it is 1/4.... I have to figure how i'll come up with the difference on the high pressure line...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #7753
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post

Rest in Peace Beany. My 690 will forever have just a little bit of you (his programming) in it.

Best wishes to his loved ones.
Same here. I used some of his Tune ECU programming tips to get rid of the stalling issue with the stock ECU. I am running the Vortex now but my stock ECU still has his stuff in it. Terrible news........
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7754
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno T . View Post
Wrong.

Same procedure for both.

If/when you upload a new FI map via tune ecu it automatically instructs the ecu to reset the adaptations, that's why you don't need to preform that step in that case.
I missed the part about uploading TuneEcu maps. Thats good news!

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #7755
slidefighter
Gather it up, keep on...

Oddometer: 269
Slowly working through my new 2012 690. Was hoping that KTM would have replaced the aluminum shock collar by now with a steel one, but no such luck (not on mine anyway if my magnet knows what it's doing...). Anyway, is that a replacement that everyone is still recommending? Looks like something of a pain to get it swapped.

Lee...

"Never adopt an ideology that masks a lack of courage"
slidefighter is offline   Reply With Quote