Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #7786
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 519
I think these are the ones
http://www.ktm-versand.de/images/pdf...file/44-45.pdf
part nr's if you zoom in enough, 765.02.079.100 for ones fitting the renthal bars
LethPhaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #7787
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes67 View Post
We tried to trim them, and it worked until we installed the fairing frame on the upper radiator bolt, but then, when installing the tanks we had to remove them (the OEM metal radiator guards, that are a KTM accessory)
Would you mind posting pics of how you cut them?

thank you
Gianluca
Sorry, I cut the OEM plastic guard, not the replacement accessory bit.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #7788
hobbes67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Sorry, I cut the OEM plastic guard, not the replacement accessory bit.
no problem, I thought you might refer to the plastic guard, i cut it too!
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #7789
Canyon Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
Here's the notch required to fit the G-it bash plate with the TT bars, a 5 minute job with a disk grinder.

Thanks for the picture, Christophe.

I called Touratech USA to place an order. I was told those guards will not fit the 2012...bummer.
10 GSA 30th, 13 S1000RR,70 z50, 71 ct70, 79 CBX, 14 Grom, 78 Z1-R, 78 KZ1000 B2, 4 81 GPz550's, 02 ZRX1200R,12 690 Enduro R, 70 Rupp Enduro, 86 RG500 Gamma, 03 SV630N, 74,75 gt80 Mini Enduros, 2 81 Seca 550's, 2 84 RZ350's, 84 RZV500R,
Canyon Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #7790
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Trying to find out which hand guards with the aluminum back bone fit the 690. Is there a KTM part number or is the aftermarket the place I should be looking?
Barkbusters are excellent design and quality.

http://www.barkbusters.net/

I use the VPS model on the 690, and Egos on other dirt bikes.
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #7791
kingby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Maybe I am just dense, but I can't seem to figure it out. Sitting here with a brand new 2012 (managed to find a dealer with a leftover) and I cant seem to figure out how to install the license plate (If I can't figure out the plate, I cant wait to tackle FI issues and valve adjustment )

I know it sounds dumb, but I can only see drilling new holes in the plate to line up with the fender holes that are already there. Is this how everyone else is installing plates on factory tails? Or am I missing something?
kingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #7792
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingby View Post
Maybe I am just dense, but I can't seem to figure it out. Sitting here with a brand new 2012 (managed to find a dealer with a leftover) and I cant seem to figure out how to install the license plate (If I can't figure out the plate, I cant wait to tackle FI issues and valve adjustment )

I know it sounds dumb, but I can only see drilling new holes in the plate to line up with the fender holes that are already there. Is this how everyone else is installing plates on factory tails? Or am I missing something?
Sounds like the dealer didn't provide the backing to mount your plate. Stock would be the POS metal with reflectors. I installed the KTM powerparts plastic plate.

Edit-
Here's a pic from the Munn site

PN#: U6908818

My2Wheels
690 WIKI

dad2bike screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 03:42 PM
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #7793
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 395
Quote:

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #7794
kingby
Adventurer

Thanks guys! ^^

I ended up drilling a couple of holes in the plate to line up with the existing fender (black part below the tail light) top holes. A couple of bolts, lock nuts and rubber washers and all is on.

I looked closer at the manual and I see that aluminum piece with the reflectors you were talking about. Dealer missed those . Just as well... I would have binned them anyway.

I will likely go for the tidy tail at some point as well.

Mike
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7795
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:

I found it easy to get a piece of 1/4" thick rubber or such and cut it to the size of the plate. I attached it to the fender extension with 3 bolts & nyloc nuts and attached the plate to the rubber with 4 bolts. Cheap & easy.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #7796
kingby
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
I found it easy to get a piece of 1/4" thick rubber or such and cut it to the size of the plate. I attached it to the fender extension with 3 bolts & nyloc nuts and attached the plate to the rubber with 4 bolts. Cheap & easy.

Cheers,

MrHix
I like that idea. I need to back the plate with something. It is a sharp piece of metal just hanging out in the wind at this point. If it was tightly backed by 1/4" piece of rubber it at least softens that edge.

I love this bike (just got back from first quick spin around the neighbourhood), but i figure dropping 10 large should get you an effective way to bolt a plate to it.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #7797
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,021
Quote:
I like that idea. I need to back the plate with something. It is a sharp piece of metal just hanging out in the wind at this point. If it was tightly backed by 1/4" piece of rubber it at least softens that edge.

I love this bike (just got back from first quick spin around the neighbourhood), but i figure dropping 10 large should get you an effective way to bolt a plate to it.
That is what I did too. Otherwise rocks hit the plate and eventually destroy it. I was lucky some friends noticed my plate was hanging on by one bolt on a ride! We were desert riding and the plate and lower fender(USA fender) were really beat up. Three of the holes where the plate attached were just gone. Now I have the euro rear fender and a tough backing for the plate.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #7798
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
valve question: Titanium?

Does anyone know if the intake valves on the 690 (2008) are Titanium? (Part No. KT5036030000) I have looked high and low, haven't found any hints regarding what they are made of in the OEM lit. & parts fiche, so they are probably stainless. However, I found one ADV post stating they are Ti, and my intakes seem to be loosing clearance in a way that makes me wonder.

Also: is it possible to remove the head with the engine in the frame?

Thanks!

Singletrack_mind screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 09:19 PM
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #7799
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack_mind View Post
Does anyone know if the intake valves on the 690 (2008) are Titanium? (Part No. KT5036030000) I have looked high and low, haven't found any hints regarding what they are made of in the OEM lit. & parts fiche, so they are probably stainless. However, I found one ADV post stating they are Ti, and my intakes seem to be loosing clearance in a way that makes me wonder.

Thanks!
They're stainless. They have hollow stems, and I wonder if maybe that leads to them wearing faster. Mine always needed shimming after the 1st inspection and when I did a valve job at 27K miles I had almost no seat left on one of the intakes. The upside is they're cheap to replace.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #7800
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
off with the head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
They're stainless. They have hollow stems, and I wonder if maybe that leads to them wearing faster. .
Thanks for that info.

Now, does anyone know if the head can be removed with the engine in the frame? The factory manual shows it floating in a nice white photo studio, out of the frame, but they don't make it clear if removing the engine is really necessary. Looks like it'll be a tight fit, but maybe possible?
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote