Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #8041
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRider View Post
Hey Gents,
I am new to the 690 and riding in Arizona (ambient temp 80'ish). It's a 2008 with 15K miles and the high temp warning light goes on frequently and the gauge reaches 12 bars and flashes. This occurs at stop lights as well as during uphill rides. No error codes are thrown.

The surprising thing is that the fan never cycles on until I am at what KTM manual indicates as "critical temps"--several minutes after the red warning light goes from blinking red to solid red.

The thermostat switch was changed by the PO. The coolant is 15 months old but has only 500 miles logged.

Is there a thermo-switch that kicks the fan on at a lower temp?

Appreciate any suggestions.
There's something wrong with your cooling system if you keep overheating like that. If the fan is kicking on it should never overheat regardless of what temp switch you have in there. I've ridden my bike in the middle of summer in 100+ temps crawling around rocks and never overheated it.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #8042
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc831 View Post
First, continuing to ride the bike when temps get that hot is just asking for a very expensive repair bill.

It's a simple system. Could be thermostat, switch, air in the lines...Get it looked at if you can't diagnose the system yourself, and don't let it get that hot if you want the bike to last past next week.
Yeah thanks...what I was asking is if this is common for the 690. The manual says 5-11 bars is typical for engine. Do any of you guys see your temp gauge reach 12 or have the temp light cycle on? Do your fans typically cycle below 12 bars?

You list thermostat and switch separately. I thought they were the same component. Where is the switch? Thanks
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #8043
Ranies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Hey Gents,
I am new to the 690 and riding in Arizona (ambient temp 80'ish). It's a 2008 with 15K miles and the high temp warning light goes on frequently and the gauge reaches 12 bars and flashes. This occurs at stop lights as well as during uphill rides. No error codes are thrown.

The surprising thing is that the fan never cycles on until I am at what KTM manual indicates as "critical temps"--several minutes after the red warning light goes from blinking red to solid red.

The thermostat switch was changed by the PO. The coolant is 15 months old but has only 500 miles logged.

Is RallyRaid the only manufacturer of the thermo-switch that kicks the fan on at a lower temp or can I find one locally?

Appreciate any suggestions.
Mine overheated/showed 12 bars when I did 15 min reset procedure since I was inside house, never again.

That because dealer forgot to plug the fan connector after they had the engine out.

If you are going to change the fan switch Ive got a 88 degrees Suzuki LTZ 400 2006 switch, but have not fitted it yet. If you google you will see that many folks have this one.
Ranies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #8044
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,741
The lower temp fan switch is about $45 from your local suzuki dealer and should be the one from a LTZ400 quad iirc. If your temperature gage is flashing then things are dangerously hot...unless you have a temperature sensor problem. If the fan is not coming on then one of two things is wrong:

1. The coolant isn't actually that hot and the temp senor for the gage is bad
2. The coolant is that hot, and the fan switch is no good..or someone forgot to plug the fan back in.

My gage was getting that hot because my bike blew the headgasket and was consuming vast quantities of coolant as a fuel additive.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #8045
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,820
Quote:
Yeah thanks...what I was asking is if this is common for the 690. The manual says 5-11 bars is typical for engine. Do any of you guys see your temp gauge reach 12 or have the temp light cycle on? Do your fans typically cycle below 12 bars?

You list thermostat and switch separately. I thought they were the same component. Where is the switch? Thanks
Never, and I've ridden mine in summer while the radiator had a leak. It would easily get down to half full and still never saw the temp warning light.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #8046
ArcticRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
The lower temp fan switch is about $45 from your local suzuki dealer and should be the one from a LTZ400 quad iirc. If your temperature gage is flashing then things are dangerously hot...unless you have a temperature sensor problem. If the fan is not coming on then one of two things is wrong:

1. The coolant isn't actually that hot and the temp senor for the gage is bad
2. The coolant is that hot, and the fan switch is no good..or someone forgot to plug the fan back in.
Right on Seth.
1. I know where the thermo switch is for the fan. Where is the sensor for the cluster?
2. All connections are plugged in.

Is the LTZ400 switch a direct fit replacement?
Thanks
ArcticRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #8047
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,810
Quote:
Right on Seth.
1. I know where the thermo switch is for the fan. Where is the sensor for the cluster?
2. All connections are plugged in.

Is the LTZ400 switch a direct fit replacement?
Thanks

I would also add for consideration;

3. make sure the fins on your radiator are not plugged up with mud/ bugs etc..

The only time my 08 seemed to run consistently hot, I noticed mud in the fins. Don't use a pressure washer to blast them clean if you think you have a similar condition, you could damage the radiator.

Instead, be patient with a garden hose, and rinse the fins thoroughly until it seems the water is running through with little resistance.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #8048
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Anyone have a stock seat taking up TOO MUCH ROOM in their garage?

I run a Renazco that the PO had on there. Was curious how the stocker would fair for in town jaunts and when I'm rarely seated offroad...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #8049
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Anyone have a stock seat taking up TOO MUCH ROOM in their garage?...

Kirk,
If you want to know how the stock seat feels, get a 3' length of 2X4, wrap it with barb-wire, and install it.... the Renazco will feel better at the end of the day

I DO have a stock muffler I will sell for slightly below dealer price

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #8050
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Kirk,
If you want to know how the stock seat feels, get a 3' length of 2X4, wrap it with barb-wire, and install it.... the Renazco will feel better at the end of the day

The stock muffler probably offers about the same levels of comfort to sit on as a standard seat. I's a 2 for 1 deal
Old 04-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #8051
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
Kirk,

almost...take a 2 x 4, pound...glue some 50 grit sand paper to it.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #8052
Ranies
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I guess the green coolant dealer had on my bike is Motorex coolant. I lost some coolant because the hose on radiator cap came off while riding because the hose was bent away from radiator and popped off when full turn.
My Motorex dealer just shut down the shop, so can I mix with other brands or is that a nono like with the oil?
Ranies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #8053
BK.RD.RNR
Torque Stick

Oddometer: 5,810
Quote:

I run a Renazco that the PO had on there. Was curious how the stocker would fair for in town jaunts and when I'm rarely seated offroad...

You don't want the stock seat, as others have pointed out. Although, I did notice some improvement on the 2012's.

I do have a corbin seat taking up too much room though. They seem to sit lower than the Renazco's, but still a big improvement over stock.

Pm me if you are interested.
BK.RD.RNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #8054
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:

I've got the stock cover and foam (2012), after a Seat Concepts conversion ...

I'm on the other side of the world but I guess it's postable (light) ...
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #8055
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK.RD.RNR View Post
You don't want the stock seat, as others have pointed out. Although, I did notice some improvement on the 2012's.

I do have a corbin seat taking up too much room though. They seem to sit lower than the Renazco's, but still a big improvement over stock.

Pm me if you are interested.
No thanks. I've had Corbin's on other bikes. They're great, but the Renazco and stocker already sit too low. I've got a 36" inseam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I've got the stock cover and foam (2012), after a Seat Concepts conversion ...

I'm on the other side of the world but I guess it's postable (light) ...
Thanks, but I'm looking to try it out with minimal investment...

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 01:03 PM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote