Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #8131
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
A more conventional term for the manifold pressure sensor might be engine vacuum sensor. I think (from memory) it's on the left side of the throttle body assembly. I would first check the electrical connection for the sensor. You should be able to identify it from the wire colors (blue black purple) using the wiring diagram.

OK - another member on supermoto junkies said it might be the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor located on the top of the throttle body. I cleaned it yesterday with throttle body cleaner and used di-electrc grease for the connector - no change.

It appears that the sensor on the left side of the TB is the TPS (throttle position sensor). I'll go investigate just to see.

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #8132
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
OK - another member on supermoto junkies said it might be the MAP (manifold air pressure) sensor located on the top of the throttle body. I cleaned it yesterday with throttle body cleaner and used di-electrc grease for the connector - no change.

It appears that the sensor on the left side of the TB is the TPS (throttle position sensor). I'll go investigate just to see.

When I threw this code, 9 flashes, it was because I installed a highflow air filter and the MAP pressure dropped out of spec due to the higher flow, lower pressure. I had to go back to a more restrective filter as I dont have the capability to change maps in the ECU. I changed my air filter to get something that sealed the airbox better than the crap stock one which let dust and dirt in. Your only cure is to get it back into spec for the program installed in the ECU.
Did you change the filter or your airbox characturistics?
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #8133
snohobo
Supermoto hippy

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
Did you change the filter or your airbox characturistics?
When I originally got this code back in Colombia (10,000 miles ago) - I was running the stock filter. I brought it to the dealer - and they cleared the code and changed my spark plug. He also sold me a higher flow foam filter - which I didn't install until at least 2,000 miles later.

I'm still running the new foam filter - but at one point in my trip one of the inserts ripped out of the top of the airbox. i've been expoying it back on ever since. I suspect it's letting in a little bit more air into the box because the lid doesnt sit as flush as it used to - but it's been like that for thousands of miles.

I could try putting on my buddies airbox to see if it changes anything. Or go back to the paper filter.

Supermoto Around Death Valley - In Progress

Supermoto Around South America - Terminado
snohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #8134
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
What sort of rim locks are people using?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #8135
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
None, I keep tires at 25/27psi and it takes me wherever I need to go.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 AM   #8136
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
This:

Make sure it's for 2.50 rim.

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 AM   #8137
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,128
I use motion lite loc's tyres are still on so they must work
Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #8138
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post

I use the Motion Pro Lite Loc Rim Rim Lock....which I think are the same ones you are referring to. They work great and are significantly lighter than those black ones (which I have also used).

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #8139
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Seth,

I looked at the LiteLocs, but they don't show a 2.5" for the rear rim on my '12 690. Do they actually make it?

I use the standard Motion Pro rim locks.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM   #8140
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHix View Post
Seth,

I looked at the LiteLocs, but they don't show a 2.5" for the rear rim on my '12 690. Do they actually make it?

I use the standard Motion Pro rim locks.

Cheers,

MrHix
hmmmm...Its possible I am using the next size down on the 2.5" rim...I have not had any issues.

edit: right now I have no rim locks on the bike because I have Rally Mousse in the tires

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #8141
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Wiring problem - advice please

Right rear signal (and I just added some nice led ones)doesn't. 2011 690 Enduro R US. All the other signals and lights work, so (I think) I've traced the fault the black hot line that goes from A to B on the wiring diagram, and I would think the most likely point of failure would be at connection A.

Does anyone know where this would be located? (before I start tearing off insulation on the whole harness )

Thanks for any help - I hate these kind of problems!
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #8142
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Right rear signal (and I just added some nice led ones)doesn't. 2011 690 Enduro R US. All the other signals and lights work, so (I think) I've traced the fault the black hot line that goes from A to B on the wiring diagram, and I would think the most likely point of failure would be at connection A.

Does anyone know where this would be located? (before I start tearing off insulation on the whole harness )

Thanks for any help - I hate these kind of problems!
The two connectors for the left and right rear turn signals are in the taillight assembly. You have to unbolt the taillight to get at the connector. They attach to a 3 conductor cable (ground and each light signal) which goes under the rear fender plastic (along the left side) and exits under the seat near the battery at a plug. This cable runs along side a similar cable from the taillight with runs to a plug which is also under the seat in the vicinity of the battery. You could easily check continuity of the turn signal conductor and the wire you identify by unplugging the turn signal cable under the seat since the cable is long enough when unplugged to reach the vicinity of the rear turn signal connector.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #8143
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
The two connectors for the left and right rear turn signals are in the taillight assembly. You have to unbolt the taillight to get at the connector. They attach to a 3 conductor cable (ground and each light signal) which goes under the rear fender plastic (along the left side) and exits under the seat near the battery at a plug. This cable runs along side a similar cable from the taillight with runs to a plug which is also under the seat in the vicinity of the battery. You could easily check continuity of the turn signal conductor and the wire you identify by unplugging the turn signal cable under the seat since the cable is long enough when unplugged to reach the vicinity of the rear turn signal connector.
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the problem lies "upstream" of the 3 prong connector under the seat. Tail light and signals have all be removed and circuits checked and good. There is no continuity between the black lead on the front signal and the black lead at the 3 prong plug (and the plug is good as well), and since the front signal works, the beak must be some where in between (by my sometimes flawed logic). So my question is - where to start? Is it behind the headlight assembly or back in the main wiring bundle along the frame?
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #8144
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Motion Pro Lite Locks don't come in the size needed for the 690 (2.5 ") ....they do come in 2.15"....good for smaller KTMs

Size DOES matter

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #8145
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the problem lies "upstream" of the 3 prong connector under the seat. Tail light and signals have all be removed and circuits checked and good. There is no continuity between the black lead on the front signal and the black lead at the 3 prong plug (and the plug is good as well), and since the front signal works, the beak must be some where in between (by my sometimes flawed logic). So my question is - where to start? Is it behind the headlight assembly or back in the main wiring bundle along the frame?
The front turn signal connectors are behind the headlight. The junction for the wire going in the harness to the right rear TS should be close to the connector for the right front TS. You could always run a separate wire from that point to the TS connector under the seat.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote