Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #8341
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
1) Handles well (no pavement riding on 450)....a Michelin S12 on front is SCAREY on gravel

2) Fabless is the guy whose tire lost a knob....mine are holding up well on 450....a 690 has a lot more power and would be harder on the MT43 than a 450.

3) Nope....set at 10lbs for off-road single track and dirt/gravel roads...
Thanks Motoged.

I'm on the point of replacing front and rear (currently mt21/D606) - the mt43 is intriguing as a rear tyre option - has anyone fitted one of these to a 690, and used it for general dual-sport duties - the gnarly stuff included, but also at speed on hard dirt roads / fire trails / some bitumen transport legs (up to 50km)?

If so, do you get away with low pressures? - presumably not as low as 10psi, but maybe 15psi? - assuming rim lock of course ... ?

Do you find any problems with fitment? - I'm looking at the high profile of the tyre, and wondering about chain length? - might also effectively alter the gearing I guess ... ?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #8342
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabless View Post
I'm running MT43 rear, and that's what the rear in the photo looked like. I don't go lower than 15psi since I don't have rim locks. Have had good experience with them even in deep sand (not full-on dunes) and on freeways. Haven't tried them in mud.
Sorry - this post was on the previous page - didn't see it - answers some of the questions ...
Old 04-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #8343
Fabless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
With 15psi, I got them up to 80mph sustained on open dirt roads (Utah and AZ) and they felt fine. I didn't go faster because of skill and courage limitations. There's a ~75% chance I lost the knob on dirt.

Quote:
1) Handles well (no pavement riding on 450)....a Michelin S12 on front is SCAREY on gravel

2) Fabless is the guy whose tire lost a knob....mine are holding up well on 450....a 690 has a lot more power and would be harder on the MT43 than a 450.

3) Nope....set at 10lbs for off-road single track and dirt/gravel roads...
Fabless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #8344
blakrj
Need to ride

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
600 mile servicing. Dealership says about $300. Any suggestions on a cheaper way. Do you need to get the KTM hooked up to a diagnostic. Computer? Only thing I notice is the fan comes on in stop and go traffic. A out 2 to3 bars from max hi temp. Is this normal? Goes off and cools when moving again. My first water coed bike. Last bike 1988 Honda xl650.
$300 - ouch. Just checked my records and I only paid EUR132 (USD172) for my first service (parts, oil, labour) - bike even got a full valet from the dealer here. So much for my theory on the EU region being more expensive.
www.airborneriders.com
blakrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #8345
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabless View Post
With 15psi, I got them up to 80mph sustained on open dirt roads (Utah and AZ) and they felt fine. I didn't go faster because of skill and courage limitations. There's a ~75% chance I lost the knob on dirt.

Thanks Fabless - looks like the knob that did go was just the first of many ...

How many miles are on that tyre?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #8346
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
How to remove spark plug cap?

Hello 690 gurus. I have been following this thread for quite a while. Good stuff.

I have a 2011 690 Enduro R which I bought new. It is an Aus/Euro model so it doesn't have the US emissions stuff. I have left the engine totally stock except for changing to a Unifilter foam air filter over a year ago.

I left the bike sitting for about 6 weeks and tried to start it yesterday. No go. It cranks at reasonable speed and I can hear the fuel pump running. There is a strong smell of fuel after cranking for a while and I did get a backfire through the airbox after cranking with the throttle open so I think fueling is OK. Or at least there should be enough fuel to get a cough out of the engine but I get absolutely nothing. No hint of wanting to fire.

So next step was looking for an electrical problem. Battery might be a bit low but volts are around 12.5+. More like 13+ after a quick charge. Had a look for wiring problems around the plug/rectifier/regulator area and couldn't see any issues. So I suspect maybe a fouled plug. Possibly even an incorrect plug fitted by the dealer at last service.

Now my problem: How do I remove the plug cap? Special tool? I can't see how to get a grip on it given the ridiculously tight space it's in. Any ideas appreciated.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #8347
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post

Do you find any problems with fitment? - I'm looking at the high profile of the tyre, and wondering about chain length? - might also effectively alter the gearing I guess ... ?
Chain length will be determined by sprocket sizes, not the tire size. However, I doubt the tire height is actually taller than something with knobs....only issue in that case would be tire rubbing on gas tank on full shock compressions.

Gearing? Doubt it as the horsepower will make up for the minimal circumference difference.

The other day I stood up two 18" Heidenau's for height comparison....the model with the newer "centre tread" was at least 1-2 " lower (smaller circumference).

Heidenau K60 Scout 140/80 was taller:

than the....150/70 Scout:

The two 18 inchers have slightly different tread designs

I have not done this kind of comparison between the MT43 and any 18" knobby

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #8348
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Chain length will be determined by sprocket sizes, not the tire size. However, I doubt the tire height is actually taller than something with knobs....only issue in that case would be tire rubbing on gas tank on full shock compressions.

Gearing? Doubt it as the horsepower will make up for the minimal circumference difference.

The other day I stood up two 18" Heidenau's for height comparison....the model with the newer "centre tread" was at least 1-2 " lower (smaller circumference).

Heidenau K60 Scout 140/80 was taller:

than the....150/70 Scout:

The two 18 inchers have slightly different tread designs

I have not done this kind of comparison between the MT43 and any 18" knobby
Thanks for this.

Poking around the forums I found one discussion re' altering sprockets to counter the effect of the high-profile MT43 - on same discussion, someone's chain wasn't long enough to move the tyre back enough to avoid hitting the guard.

Discussions were apropos 450exc, and may not apply to a 690.

I haven't seen an MT43 in the flesh - will see whether any of the local dealers stock them ...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #8349
MakoRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Servicing 690 Yourself & Save $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianX View Post
Mine, after a year still hits a few bars below max in stop and go. I've never overheated and the fan has always kicked in to cool things down. It does seem to run hot, hotter than previous models (mine is a 2012).
Would replacing the slip-on exhaust with an FMF or Wings exhaust cool this bad boy down? Those two seemed to be the most reasonably priced slip-on exhausts I have found. And, both have a good following. I have 605 miles on the bike today. Not riding it until I service it.
After reading the responses I have decided to change the fluids, filters, and torque the nuts, etc... myself. The only thing is that computer stuff. I guess I will have to join the 21st century. Thanks to all you ADVriders for the great advice. It's amazing what a great community motorcycle riders are. I have missed riding and hanging out in the garage working on a bike.
MakoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #8350
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Thanks for this.

Poking around the forums I found one discussion re' altering sprockets to counter the effect of the high-profile MT43 - on same discussion, someone's chain wasn't long enough to move the tyre back enough to avoid hitting the guard.

Discussions were apropos 450exc, and may not apply to a 690.

I haven't seen an MT43 in the flesh - will see whether any of the local dealers stock them ...
My '12 ER came with the chain short enough that it was hard to get the axle out of the wheel with the short stub of the axle blocks facing forward. I mounted the K60 140/80-18 and had no problems with clearance on the mud flap. I did decide to change the CS to a 14 tooth and no I can get the chain off the rear sprocket without removing the axle first.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #8351
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakoRider View Post
Would replacing the slip-on exhaust with an FMF or Wings exhaust cool this bad boy down? Those two seemed to be the most reasonably priced slip-on exhausts I have found. And, both have a good following. I have 605 miles on the bike today. Not riding it until I service it.
After reading the responses I have decided to change the fluids, filters, and torque the nuts, etc... myself. The only thing is that computer stuff. I guess I will have to join the 21st century. Thanks to all you ADVriders for the great advice. It's amazing what a great community motorcycle riders are. I have missed riding and hanging out in the garage working on a bike.
Yep, put a different can on your trusty new steed. Once fully warmed up you could sear a steak right quick on the stocker. I put a Wings on mine and haven't looked back.

Removing every nut and bolt you can easily access applying a blue threadlocker on it and reinstall-properly torqued is critical. By doing so, you'll never have anything fall off of your bike until you decide to remove it at a later date.

Dirty
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #8352
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmnz View Post
Now my problem: How do I remove the plug cap? Special tool? I can't see how to get a grip on it given the ridiculously tight space it's in. Any ideas appreciated.
Should be a notch on the plug boot, you can use a screwdriver and leverage off the frame while supporting it form the engine side...
Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #8353
Fabless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
MT43 wear

At the time the photo was taken I probably had about 1300 miles on them; I was in the middle of a trip and still had a couple days of riding including some pretty rocky, steep winding climbs around the Grand Canyon area. The tire held up fine for the remaining days and surprisingly I didn't lose any more knobs. Here's a close-up of the tire after about 1700 miles. Here's one of the worst knobs:

This is more typical:

I'd get something more durable if I were on a longer trip, of course.

-Fabless

Quote:
Thanks Fabless - looks like the knob that did go was just the first of many ...

How many miles are on that tyre?
Fabless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #8354
davidmnz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
Should be a notch on the plug boot, you can use a screwdriver and leverage off the frame while supporting it form the engine side...
Thank you. I wasn't too happy with the amount of force I needed to apply but it did eventually come off.

Next mission is pulling the plug. I'm halfway through removing the airbox because it looks impossible to use the plug wrench when the airbox is in place.
davidmnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:00 AM   #8355
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmnz View Post
<...>Now my problem: How do I remove the plug cap? Special tool? I can't see how to get a grip on it given the ridiculously tight space it's in. Any ideas appreciated.
I documented my failure here: http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...SMC-spark-plug
The right way to do it is at the bottom :)

EDIT: nvm, you got it already
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote