Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #8431
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
I'm thinking of getting a 1" lowering for my 690 e. If I go ahead with the link will I have to raise the front suspension a bit to compensate? If so by how much?

LOVE my 690 but man is it tall!
I'm in the middle of setting my bike up after installing Koubalink 1" (2.5 cm).
I started out raising the forks 2 cm but for me the bike got a bit unstable even at low speed (on soft gravel/mud)

Currently 1.4 cm raised and it seems better for me. Checked SAG and Rider SAG on the rear and it seems to be in spec.
Dialed in compression and rebound to 15 clicks while i try to find a good base setup forkwise.

Next step if i still dont like it will be 1 cm raised, and then 0.5 cm etc. After that i will remove the koubalink

690 enduro r -11

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #8432
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
I started out raising the forks 2 cm but for me the bike got a bit unstable even at low speed (on soft gravel/mud)

Currently 1.4 cm raised and it seems better for me. Checked SAG and Rider SAG on the rear and it seems to be in spec.
Dialed in compression and rebound to 15 clicks while i try to find a good base setup forkwise.

Next step if i still dont like it will be 1 cm raised, and then 0.5 cm etc. After that i will remove the koubalink

690 enduro r -11
How tall are you Noyah and Canadian Bacon?
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #8433
Harty
Bloody Good Bloke!

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
I was on the cusp of buying a Scotts/Ohlin steering damper and kit from RR - had looked at GPR also - but had not considered the RalleMoto option ...

Has anyone used one and, if so, any opinions?

I'm in Australia, but curiously there is no free shipping here ...
I've been told by a few guys over here in the UK, that the RalleMoto is the better damper than the Scotts/Ohlins unit
Old 04-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #8434
Hoots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post
I've been told by a few guys over here in the UK, that the RalleMoto is the better damper than the Scotts/Ohlins unit
It looks quite innovative.

http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d49.html
Hoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #8435
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
How tall are you Noyah and Canadian Bacon?
1.78m 5'10 ish

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #8436
MarTind
Repaired and ready

Oddometer: 42
Possible solution

Just had a similar problem with my '09. Intermittent FI error (9 flash: Throttle Position not plausible) Similar deal- fiddle with harness and other bits would "seem to fix" the problem but it soon returned.
After replacing the Throttle Body and the Harness it turned out that the Voltage Regulator was putting out 18v. Replaced that and all fixed.
(New ones will put out <15v)
Let me know if this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
anyone that may know

major electrical power failure tonight, left me 1 km from home, it started intermitently then failed... removed the sea checking for battery, master relay connections.. nothing obvious.. pulling up on the main hareness going under the air box made it come alive again.. then fail. but I could make the bike come on and off at will moving the harness...

bikes back in the garage for me to goof with it tomorrow... any ideas where to look...?

again total electrical failure... it started with setting a fuel pump code, then a complete power failure. found moving the harness will restore the power and start, drive... I did a fuel pump and a fmf slip-on on it a month ago. (ca-cycle)
probably simple to fix, shitty to find...
MarTind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:09 AM   #8437
MarTind
Repaired and ready

Oddometer: 42
FI "9 Blinks"

9 Flashes also can mean "Throttle Position Not Plausible"
Check Regulator is putting out less than 15v. (anything more will "confuse" the ECU)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snohobo View Post
I haven't been riding lately but last week I was getting the bike back together, putting on some new parts, etc...

The only engine related part I put on was a new Remus pipe. Other stuff was new tires, plastics, cogs, sprocket, chain...

I noticed that the bike would turn over, but not start. Battery was charged, fuel pump priming - but it just wouldnt catch.

I had the upgraded fuel injector in my spare parts bag - and thought that might be the problem - so i installed it. Sure enough - the bike would now start, and idle - but would refuse to run. I could get it going in 1st and 2nd - but the bike would backfire badly, and die when the rpms dropped to idle.

Then the FI light came on - 9 blinks which indicate - Input signal from pressure sensor of induction manifold too low/high ktm.

What the hell and where the hell is the pressure sensor of induction manifold?

In Colombia - i had another related issue where the bike wouldnt start - and I got the same FI light. I brought it to the dealer and they cleared the code and put in a new spark plug and that seemed to fix the problem - for about 15,000 miles.

Does anyone know anything about this code? I can only find 2 examples of it ever being mentioned on google - and both didnt have much info.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #8438
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harty View Post

Looks suspiciously like a reverse engineered Scotts unit. I have used the Scotts units for years on my bikes and they have always worked well.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #8439
ktmmitch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
Looks suspiciously like a reverse engineered Scotts unit. I have used the Scotts units for years on my bikes and they have always worked well.

I agree Seth,I have used Scotts/Ohlins for many years now,and sold/serviced them.IMHO they do the job,simple to set-up & easy to service.
I have the new Ohlins unit here to test,but I will have to make a new triple clamp to fit it between the bar clamps,as it uses the steering stem nut to secure it,but by moving the bar clamp screws out by 5mm per side,the extra width with allow the PHDS to be used with the older Scotts damper,which up until now only the 450RR guys could.I really like the PHDS,but can use it on the OEM triples with scotts damper,so looking forward to trying it out.
Sorry for my absence from the ADV community the last few weeks,but it has been(is) really tough losing Wes(Beaney) on the Tuareg Rallye,it is a big miss around here,no-one to bounce my silly ideas off,guess I'll just have to rely on you guys now.
ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #8440
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post
I agree Seth,I have used Scotts/Ohlins for many years now,and sold/serviced them.IMHO they do the job,simple to set-up & easy to service.
I have the new Ohlins unit here to test,but I will have to make a new triple clamp to fit it between the bar clamps,as it uses the steering stem nut to secure it,but by moving the bar clamp screws out by 5mm per side,the extra width with allow the PHDS to be used with the older Scotts damper,which up until now only the 450RR guys could.I really like the PHDS,but can use it on the OEM triples with scotts damper,so looking forward to trying it out.
Sorry for my absence from the ADV community the last few weeks,but it has been(is) really tough losing Wes(Beaney) on the Tuareg Rallye,it is a big miss around here,no-one to bounce my silly ideas off,guess I'll just have to rely on you guys now.
Glad to hear from you John!!
Bounce away!!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #8441
Canadian_Bacon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I'm 5'9 with roughly a 29" inseem.

Quote:
1.78m 5'10 ish
Canadian_Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #8442
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,015
Anyone been able to track down a 2012+ service manual?
Old 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #8443
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:

690 enduro r -11
My bike came with the 1-5/8" Link. That was way too much drop for me. I was hitting the ground too often.
I changed to the 1" drop link. I have a super heavy spring to carry my lard butt. 106nM. I'm running .58 springs in the front. I am about 5'8" with a 29" inseam. My Sag in back is about 140mm with me on. I too have the forks up about 20mm. I'm thinking of going up just a bit to 15mm. I have this slight feeling of looking down when sitting on the bike.
The suspension is working awesome. Near 400 miles of washboard Death Valley roads over the weekend. Smooth & plush.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #8444
palmstatecrawler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Are there any problems with the rear tire rubbing with the kouba links? I have been considering getting one. Street riding is fine but offroad I would like to be able to reach the ground a little easier. 5'10"
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #8445
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmstatecrawler View Post
Are there any problems with the rear tire rubbing with the kouba links? I have been considering getting one. Street riding is fine but offroad I would like to be able to reach the ground a little easier. 5'10"
I could bottom and hit even with the stock link. With the 1" drop I still touch only on those really big landings . Having a big enough spring to handle the load is key. This was taught me by my suspension tuner.
I run a very aggressive rear tire. Pirelli XCMH 140/80.
I've got a used 1-5/8 link available if somebody wants to give it a try. Cheap.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote